Reload this Page >

PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 or 360 and/or Wii?

Old 10-29-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Well that goes against what I heard, that says that all HDMI sets include VGA as well, and do accept 1080p on both. Admittedly it was the Major Nelson podcast, but when talking to the 1080p MS guy, he said that most of the 1080p sets they had tested on accepted 1080p via component even when the manual stated otherwise.
Of the 3 sets that I've personally had contact with, all that had HDMI, all had VGA too.
Old 10-29-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes but did they accept 1080p on the VGA?
Old 10-29-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Obi-wan says "Who's the more foolish: the fool or the fool who follows him?"

I would say that about everyone who bought a 360.

By the way, you gotta love all the PS3 hate on these boards.

Last edited by Setzer; 10-29-06 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Setzer

Dear Lord, did i accidentally log onto the IGN forum all of a sudden?
Old 10-29-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

No. It's the schmucks that continue to think the PS3 is the end-all of gaming. It's not.
Old 10-29-06, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
No. It's the schmucks that continue to think the PS3 is the end-all of gaming. It's not.
All I did was state my opinion and I get railed for it. I was responding to the OP, not all you 360 "fanboys". If the OP chooses to get a 360 then that's his decision but don't quote me on shit I never said. Did I once say the PS3 was the end of all gaming? No. Do me a favor and think before you type.
Old 10-29-06, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Dear Lord, did i accidentally log onto the IGN forum all of a sudden?
So, it's ok for me to take shit because I'm getting a PS3 and not a 360 like the rest of you. Sorry, I didn't kiss enough 360 ass to your liking. Last I checked this was the "Video Game Talk" forum not the Microsoft 360 forum.
Old 10-29-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
ak: I think the 360 and/or Wii is by far the better choice. Once the PS3 gets good exclusive games, then it's a good time to jump into it. I plan on getting a PS3, but won't be doing it before next year.

As a current PS2 owner and future PS3 owner, I'd suggest the 360/Wii combo. This may be different in a year.
Old 10-29-06, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimately it depends on what your taste is like, IMO. For example, the 360 is just not much of option for me considering that I have zilch interest in sci-fis and FPSes (which already rules out every bald marine game as well as Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell, blah blah). The only RPG that I'm interested in on the 360 is Trusty Bells. Somehow Blue Dragon managed to not interest me at all, despite its pedigree. Lost Odyssey....well, we'll see how that turns out. Not enough info so far.

That said, there's nothing on the PS3 I'm interested in (Resistance? No thanks)...as least, until March, when Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5 and Heavenly Sword hits. Now those I'm excited for, as well as Devil May Cry 4.

I was really excited about the Wii post-E3 but that has been tempered now. Except for Zelda and Mario Galaxy, I haven't really found anything else that really catches my attention so far. Maybe when more new games are announced.

So I'm currently leaning towards the PS3, but won't get one until maybe mid next year earliest. But this is me, your mileage will probably vary...

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 10-29-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

All I did was state my opinion and I get railed for it. I was responding to the OP, not all you 360 "fanboys". If the OP chooses to get a 360 then that's his decision but don't quote me on shit I never said. Did I once say the PS3 was the end of all gaming? No. Do me a favor and think before you type.
That's funny. Go back to where I quoted that you said that. Oh wait, that's right, I didn't.

The fact is, several posters gave valid counterpoints as to why the Xbox is a better buy right now. You brush them off like nothing. Not very open minded of you. So, before you start labeling people fanboys, you might want to take a look in the mirror.
Old 10-29-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Setzer, you're completely missing the point.

The vast majority of people do not see HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray as a necessity. They're satisfied with their regular DVD players.

With the PS3, you don't have the option of saving $200 and not having a next-generation DVD format player. The 360 gives you that option.

As far as which one is going to eventually sell more, I don't think Sony has a chance of being #1 with that price tag. It's just too high for the average gamer. The hardcore gamers will get it, and there won't be a single PS3 available for months, but when it's all said and done, Sony will be #2, and possibly #3 in this era of the console war.
Old 10-29-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Another vote for the 360 here.

It's cheap, very powerful and it's online component is proven.
The 360's game catalog is better as well... both in quality and in quantity. Some of the games have already been discounted. The PS3 will have a ho-hum launch lineup, most of which are already available on the 360. Most importantly, you'll be able to find one on store shelves.

You can purchase the HD-DVD add-on later when more titles are available and not have to incur the cost now.
Old 10-29-06, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923

The vast majority of people do not see HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray as a necessity. They're satisfied with their regular DVD players.

With the PS3, you don't have the option of saving $200 and not having a next-generation DVD format player. The 360 gives you that option.

As far as which one is going to eventually sell more, I don't think Sony has a chance of being #1 with that price tag. It's just too high for the average gamer. The hardcore gamers will get it, and there won't be a single PS3 available for months, but when it's all said and done, Sony will be #2, and possibly #3 in this era of the console war.
You're assuming they'll keep that price point then? I really doubt it. After the hardcores have bought them, I bet the price will be slashed by $100 for each model. At least, that's what I'm hoping for, because I would consider the 60GB/wifi pack for less than $500, but not at the current price.

And I guess I don't really buy the whole $200 "saving" argument because I actually *do* believe DVD as a format will serve as a limiting factor in terms of storage - whether that need is sooner or later is still to be seen, but right now Microsoft's solution (ie. HD-DVD add-in) seems more like an afterthought rather than something that actually have real benefits to gaming. And I'm not going to get into the Blu-ray/HD-DVD debate, because if Microsoft came out with an optional Blu-ray player instead, it would *still* be an afterthought because most of the core base will not have one by then.
Old 10-29-06, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
The fact is, several posters gave valid counterpoints as to why the Xbox is a better buy right now. You brush them off like nothing. Not very open minded of you. So, before you start labeling people fanboys, you might want to take a look in the mirror.
And those SAME people stated the PS3 launch line-up has very few games and isn't that great BUT have no problem getting a Wii, which also has very few games and isn't that great. If you're going to tell people to hold off/not buy a console because 1)it's just coming out or 2)the launch line-up isn't great then don't contradict yourself by telling people to get another console that presents those same problems.
Old 10-29-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
You're assuming they'll keep that price point then? I really doubt it. After the hardcores have bought them, I bet the price will be slashed by $100 for each model.
Don't expect a price drop for at least 1 year after release. Sony will incur large losses on the PS3 and can't afford to drop the price until they start to reduce their costs.
Old 10-29-06, 03:47 PM

Nope.

And when games for the 360 start coming on HD-DVD you're just going to not buy them even if they're titles like Halo, Fable, GTA, etc. Please.

At some point you're going to have to buy the add-on to play the latest and greatest. I really don't consider it a savings.

I doubt it but you're the expert.
Old 10-29-06, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
Don't expect a price drop for at least 1 year after release. Sony will incur large losses on the PS3 and can't afford to drop the price until they start to reduce their costs.
I'm not so sure...The fact that Sony pre-emptively reduced the price in Japan before the PS3 is even out shows that they know it's expensive. And if sales/demands slow they *will* cut the price down, like they did in Japan.
Old 10-29-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And when games for the 360 start coming on HD-DVD you're just going to not buy them even if they're titles like Halo, Fable, GTA, etc. Please.
MS has stated over and over that HD-DVD will NOT be used for games. DVD is more than enough for HD games.
Old 10-29-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not so sure...The fact that Sony pre-emptively reduced the price in Japan before the PS3 is even out shows that they know it's expensive. And if sales/demands slow they *will* cut the price down, like they did in Japan.
The price cut in Japan was strictly a reaction to:

1. Microsoft's price drop in Japan
2. The growing interest in the Wii in Japan.

Sony knows that Japan is very important to them since that's where they do very well, and they can't afford to lose that market to Nintendo. The Wii is a dangerous threat to Sony in Japan, and Sony's realized this with the DS's success over the much more powerful PSP.
Old 10-29-06, 04:06 PM

I don't think Sony is remotely worried about anything Microsoft does in Japan. The Xbox360 hasn't sold over 2,000 units a week in a while, as compared to 20,000+ for PS2 and PSP each.

But yes on the Wii. And this is exactly it - why do you assume that Sony won't cut their price in the US if they already did that in Japan, especially when the North American market is much bigger and more important than Japan's? And when there's even more competition?
Old 10-29-06, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coral
DVD is more than enough for HD games.
Yes. If Oblivion can fit on a standard DVD, then any 360 game will be able to fit on a standard DVD. Oblivion is fricking massive.
Old 10-29-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And those SAME people stated the PS3 launch line-up has very few games and isn't that great BUT have no problem getting a Wii, which also has very few games and isn't that great. If you're going to tell people to hold off/not buy a console because 1)it's just coming out or 2)the launch line-up isn't great then don't contradict yourself by telling people to get another console that presents those same problems.
Hey dude, I have no plans to ever buy a wii, the ps3 is certainly ahead of the wii in my book. I think you're just dodging the point here, which is that you're unwilling to respond to reasoned argument (well you sure didn't bother to reply to mine).
Old 10-29-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
DVD is plenty. If PS3 games really are filling up 25GB discs they are doing it with HD video content and I couldn't care less about that. With the compression tools and things available to developers there is no reason they couldn't keep using 9GB discs all through this gen of consoles. If the rare game needs 2 discs then so be it. It never really bothered me on the PSone.
Old 10-29-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Sony is remotely worried about anything Microsoft does in Japan. The Xbox360 hasn't sold over 2,000 units a week in a while, as compared to 20,000+ for PS2 and PSP each.
It's always a concern, especially since some major Japanese titles are coming to the 360 in the near future. However slim their chances, MS is always a concern to Sony in Japan.

But yes on the Wii. And this is exactly it - why do you assume that Sony won't cut their price in the US if they already did that in Japan, especially when the North American market is much bigger and more important than Japan's? And when there's even more competition?
The 360 is selling well in NA and is cheaper than the PS3 with a buttload of games available (including the upcoming system-seller Gears of War) and the Wii is coming out at a much cheaper price.
So why has Sony dropped their price in Japan and not NA? They would've done it already if they had plans to do it anytime soon.

Like I said, you'll be waiting a year at least for a price drop on the PS3. The only way it will drop before that is if the sales are horrible - at which point Sony is in big trouble anyways.
Old 10-29-06, 05:13 PM

I don't think Sony is that stupid. They *know* that their market for such a pricey system is going to be restricted to the hardcore gamers/parents. And once the first 3 million are gone in the US, things get decidedly tougher. But they are smart, because Sony *knows* they can charge people at the $599 price tag and get away with it with hardcore gamers. I mean, they know what went on on Ebay with the PS2 - obviously the hardcores are willing to pay MUCH more for the first few millions in stock. Then once that is exhausted they can switch to a lower price point. It's a way to maximise your return.

I bet there will be a price drop in the US in late Summer/early Fall. The reason why they only did the price drop in Japan is because, like you said, they feel the most threatened there by the Wii. And the home turf is very important psychologically, especially to Japanese developers.

All that beind said, it's also a way to keep me hopeful that I can get one before the end of the year at a cheaper price

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 10-29-06 at 05:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.