Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Old 06-24-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Originally Posted by starman9000
Did you ever pick this up?

The Battle Chest is $5 from blizzard this week, as is Cataclysm. Mists of Pandoria is $20.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse....9,p:1100002176

I think I might finally give it a shot, but am a little frightened of it.
If you are looking for an MMO to play you might want to try Rift since it is now F2P.

I would not really advice anyone to start playing Wow.

I am slowly playing Rift a bit more lately and I am hoping I can transition to that game at some point and move on from Wow.
Old 06-25-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs
If you are looking for an MMO to play you might want to try Rift since it is now F2P.

I would not really advice anyone to start playing Wow.

I am slowly playing Rift a bit more lately and I am hoping I can transition to that game at some point and move on from Wow.
So rift is actually good? I've been playing their other MMO Defiance and it is mediocre.

Last edited by Krayzie; 06-25-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I'll try out Rift.
Old 06-26-13, 09:00 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
So rift is actually good? I've been playing their other MMO Defiance and it is mediocre.

From the 15 hours i have spent with it...yes it is good. it is your standard MMO formula. Go find quests, level, craft etc... However, it does have the dynamic events, Rifts, that open up at different times and everyone in the area will usually run over and try to close it. If you have played Guild Wars 2, it uses the same mechanic, but it isn't rifts, it is other random things.

I would advise starman to download Rift. It is free to play, so he has nothing to lose at all. I personally think Guild Wars 2 is more fun due to it having more action combat, not just standing there and exchanging blows. But hey, sometimes I like that combat as well. There is no free trial (that i know of) for GW2, so he would have to dish out the $60 for it. So just on that alone, I would try Rift first.

Heck, try out Marvel Heroes which is F2P as well. I am currently addicted to it. It can be described as Diablo with marvel characters and has some MMO qualities as well. However if you are looking for just a straight MMORPG, steer clear.
Old 06-26-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Krayzie

I have been enjoying it.

There are things that I am still learning like much of the terminology is the same as Wow but some is obviously specific to Rift so at times I have no idea what people are talking about.

Over time I assume I will learn the little ins and outs of the game since I have only played for a few months total versus years for Wow.
Old 06-27-13, 08:11 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by gcribbs
I have been enjoying it.

There are things that I am still learning like much of the terminology is the same as Wow but some is obviously specific to Rift so at times I have no idea what people are talking about.

Over time I assume I will learn the little ins and outs of the game since I have only played for a few months total versus years for Wow.

have you run into any "roadblocks" yet in Rift's free to play model and felt you needed to spend money? Like I said, I haven't played it all that much.
Old 06-27-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
have you run into any "roadblocks" yet in Rift's free to play model and felt you needed to spend money? Like I said, I haven't played it all that much.

I would say I have not.

However, it would not be a fair thing to say since I subbed for 1 month then bought the Storm Legions expansion for cheap from Amazon(I already had bought Rift awhile ago and had subbed for 6 months when it first came out).

Then when they doubled the cash shop money I spent $20 in the PTR which I have used to buy two more months of Patron status so far.

So I have really not had to experience the F2P part much yet other than interaction with players.

It would seem that F2P would be best if you got at least a small amount of Loyalty to unlock the AH fully. Since F2P players can only buy and not sell on it unless they get 1500 loyalty(or some number like that).

It does seem to be the most open F2P model I have seen. I hated LOTRO version because after around level 30 or so in that model you had to either grind currency on alts to unlock quests or spend money to level.

In Rift you will not have to do that at all.
Old 07-09-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Blizzard is testing the F2P model in their subscription game soon.

They are moving the out of game shop into the game and will start selling some items like tokens for bonus look chances(you can currently earn them in game now) and 100% experience bonuses which are not available in the game for free.

I guess the slippery slop of selling pets and mounts has started to get much more slippery.

Bad idea from Blizzard in my opinion.
Old 07-09-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Blizzard is testing the F2P model in their subscription game soon.

They are moving the out of game shop into the game and will start selling some items like tokens for bonus loot chances(you can currently earn them in game now) and 100% experience bonuses which are not available in the game.

I guess the slippery slope of selling pets and mounts has started to get much more slippery.

Bad idea from Blizzard in my opinion.
Old 10-24-13, 03:58 PM
wlj

I upgraded my starter edition last night. it was pretty cheap at 19.99 to get WoW with all of the expansions minus pandaria. I am just going to play out my free 30 days and then if i feel the need to play somemore, just buy one of those gametime cards for a couple of months. Luckily, I don't have any friends that play it. Luckily? why would you say luckily? If I did have friends, I am fairly certain I would become hopelessly addicted trying to keep up with them and get great gear like theirs. I plan to play this solo as much as I can and just go with the flow.

I am still big into Marvel Heroes, so we will see if I can split time between the two. I only have a couple of hours a night to play.

I am excited about exploring Azeroth. I have heard about this game for almost a decade, now it is time to see what all the fuss is about.

I started with a night elf hunter....any tips for a WoW beginner?
Old 10-24-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Yeah, delete your Alliance character and roll Horde.
Old 10-24-13, 06:05 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yeah, delete your Alliance character and roll Horde.

Why? Alliance have a disadvantage?
Old 10-25-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No they're just silly and stupid.

Realistically if you pvp, normally Horde has the advantage. If you raid and pve, typically the Alliance will do everything before the Horde side does.

It's been a year since I played so it might be different now.
Old 10-25-13, 07:50 AM
wlj

Well I logged on to WoW last night. I have no sound whatsover. after clicking my shortcut, the game checks for updates and then you have that big "play" button. That sound effect still works, however once the log in screen comes up I have no sound ever after that. Anyone had this issue? Sound is working in all of my other games, so i don't know why WoW isn't working
Old 10-25-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe in game sound is muted or turned off.
Old 10-28-13, 09:23 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Maybe in game sound is muted or turned off.

Just wanted to give an update. I have fixed the problem. It was something very simple. My wife has been shopping with the Firefox browser. She has been leaving the browser minimized because she didn't want to lose what was in her "cart". My sound card was giving the Firefox browser priority, so when I loaded WoW -- the sound card muted the game. Once I closed the firefox browser, everything worked fine. I feel dumb since it was something that simple, but i had no clue that Firefox had that kind of effect on my computer.

anyhoo, I am liking the game quite a bit. I am only level 10, but I can see myself playing this for a couple of months. I am going to try to just solo all I can, I don't want to get into the guild stuff -- I am sure I would get addicted then.
Old 07-30-14, 07:46 AM
wlj

anyone here still play this? I have had an on again off again relationship with it since late last year. Has anyone preordered Warlords of Draenor? I did and got the free instant 90 boost. I did a rogue. I still plan to level one the old fashioned way, but my gaming time isn't what it used to be so I fear it will take forever.
Old 07-30-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been nearly two years since I stopped playing. Might go back after WoD launches to see what I missed (left shortly before the first real MoP patch).
Old 07-30-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I randomly ran around with my Hunter the other day...having been probably a year since playing. Still a fun game. I'll get back in for Warlords. I need to do that pre-order too and bump another character up.
Old 07-31-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
anyone here still play this? I have had an on again off again relationship with it since late last year. Has anyone preordered Warlords of Draenor? I did and got the free instant 90 boost. I did a rogue. I still plan to level one the old fashioned way, but my gaming time isn't what it used to be so I fear it will take forever.
I played back in the winter when they had the Pandaria sale.

Leveled my Rogue to cap and lost interest. I love leveling and exploring new areas. Hate doing it all over again with an alt. Did the 5 man dungeons all the time back during Wrath, no interest getting on that treadmill again.
Old 08-14-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TLzhlsEFcVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nov 13

Also looks like they're doing a series of animated shorts leading up to the release. Here's Part 1.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/14/600...series-draenor

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LG3RVCEwCPg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-14-14 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 03:08 PM
wlj

was just coming to post this. beat me to it
Old 08-14-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see myself going back anytime soon.
Old 08-15-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

The stuff they're doing for the 10th anniversary may drag me back for a few months. 100 vs 100 Tarren Mill/Southshore battleground! Molten Core LFR where you get a corehound mount if you down Rags!
Old 08-15-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That sounds fun. Is that this year?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.