Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I've been playing Zelda The Ocarina of Time lately, how many have actually beaten it?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I've been playing Zelda The Ocarina of Time lately, how many have actually beaten it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beat the game without a guide. I did use my friend's guide to find some spiders and ruppee locations, etc.

I try to beat most games without a guide, this one had some rough spots and I almost caved at one point and used a guide.
Old 09-26-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
It was the first game I played on my new Gamecube (perhaps the best pack-in every), and I beat it without a guide.
Old 09-26-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Add my name to the list. I remember getting it the day it came out (which was during Thanksgiving break) and spending most of the break playing it. I don't really go for guides unless I hit a point in a game where I'm completely and utterly frustrated (at which point I fire up Gamefaqs), and fortunately there was nothing in the game that really stumped me. The water temple definitely took some time, but if you've played earlier games in the Zelda series, most of the puzzles in OoT are pretty reasonable.

On the other hand, I never even tried to find all the skulltulas. I have no patience for things like that, where you have to scour a huge game world looking for 100 little hidden things.
Old 09-26-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've played and beat every console zelda, most of the handheld zeldas. All of them without a guide. I really could have used one for the first one, it took me two years of playing to beat
Old 09-26-06, 08:37 PM

Great Game. I beat it the Water level was hard that was the first time I ever used a game guide. I hate using guides it feels like cheating.
Old 09-26-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beat the water level, but I think I missed getting a song. Anyone remember which song it was that changed night to day?
Old 09-27-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Beat the water level, but I think I missed getting a song. Anyone remember which song it was that changed night to day?
The Sun Song. I don't remember how/where you get it, but I think it was right, down, up, right, down, up on the C-buttons (the yellow ones).
Old 09-27-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
this thread is making me want to go buy a n64 and play OoT again
Old 09-27-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beat the game but it probably took me about 4 months because I got frustrated. Played it for about a month and a half straight without a guide and I got stuck in one area. I stopped playing it for a month and finally caved in and used a guide for the part I was stuck. It takes me a long time to beat game.

I did the same thing with Resident Evil 1 and 4 for the gamecube.
Old 09-27-06, 05:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I haven't played a Zelda game since the original on my NES.

I have a Gamecube and both of those bonus compilation type discs that had the whole series I think.

My plan has always been to start at the beginning and play it all the way thru some day. But at this rate I'll never get around tuit.
Old 09-27-06, 10:55 AM

Played and beat it on one of those gold carts back when it came out, though never did finish Majora's Mask as it got a bit dull around the midpoint.
Old 09-27-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xVladx
I think the big problem a lot of people had was that there was just a LOT of going back and forth, and raising/lowering the water level, along with the frequent switching of boots. There was also at least one key,
Spoiler:
the one under the block in that central column
, that was pretty easy to miss.
The keys and the grapple were a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge, but not terribly difficult. It was partially the going back and forth that drove me crazy. However ...
Spoiler:
... it was the electric water boss that railed me on more than one attempt that got me on wit's end. There's the good possibility that many gamers just waltzed in there and beat him, but it took an ungodly number of attempts from my end.
Old 09-27-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The keys and the grapple were a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge, but not terribly difficult. It was partially the going back and forth that drove me crazy. However ...
Spoiler:
... it was the electric water boss that railed me on more than one attempt that got me on wit's end. There's the good possibility that many gamers just waltzed in there and beat him, but it took an ungodly number of attempts from my end.
I thought the boss was the easiest part of the whole dungeon.
Old 09-27-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I beat it with very little help from online strategy guides. I found the game to be pretty straight forward.

I got to the very end of Wind Waker, but just lost interest in the game so I never beat that and never played Majoras Mask. Ocarina though...man was that a thing of beauty.
Old 09-27-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You girls need to try the Water Temple in Master Quest.
Old 09-27-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Majora's Mask completely lost me...I don't think I got past the first 20 minutes. It was just sooooo repetitive.
Old 09-27-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Majora's Mask completely lost me...I don't think I got past the first 20 minutes. It was just sooooo repetitive.
Same here. To date, I have beat each Zeda(console releases) except Majora's Mask. It just didn't strike a chord with me and I quickly lost interest as well.
Old 09-27-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Majora's Mask was repetitive like Groundhog Day. It was kinda the point, but there was plenty to do in that timeframe.
Old 09-27-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zelda Ocarina of Time was so special. The whole game had such an epic feel to it. The Forest Temple is my favorite. I love the creepy atmosphere, the music, the puzzles, and the boss battle. Nintendo at it's best!

Zelda Majora's Mask I feel was a great sequel to OoT. It didn't feel as epic as OoT, but MM had such a darkness throughout it's story and gameplay that hooked me. I liked the mask system. Changing into the different races of Hyrule was fun. Plus the whole ending scene
Spoiler:
in the grassy field with that big tree and the kids in masks running around it...
...was very surreal and cool. Once again Nintendo at it's best!

I found this fun Majora's Mask music video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7u2Tqj-28

Nicely done.
Old 09-27-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
If you only played 20 minutes, you didn't even get to town

Except for fighting some bosses multiple times (you don't have to replay the dungeon though) and a couple non-required side tasks, it isn't really repetitive at all.
Old 09-27-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Add me to those that beat OOT without a guide. I played through the original twice and the master quest when it came out on the bonus disc that came with preorders of Wind Waker. I never tried to get every little item though and was probably missing 5 or 6 pieces of heart and at least a handful of the skullturas. It's definitely among my favorite games of all time and might even be in the top spot.
Old 09-27-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CreatureX
Zelda Ocarina of Time was so special. The whole game had such an epic feel to it.
Yeah, I hate to sound like a Nintendo fanboy (I'm really not one), but OoT and Mario 64 define that era of 3d games to me. Furthermore, they still are the benchmark for tight controls for console games in general. I can't really think of anything to come out on the PSX that I still hold in such high regard. Maybe MGS, but even still that game doesn't have that "magic" for me any more.
Old 09-27-06, 03:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I beat it when I was younger. I want to play through it again. I remember that I needed to use a strategy guide for the water temple, and another part. I don't like using them.
Old 09-27-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
You girls need to try the Water Temple in Master Quest.
I actually felt that the temples in Master Quest were easier than the originals. The only area I felt that was harder in Master Quest was The Deku Tree.
Old 09-28-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations to me. I loved the last level, I was really sick of getting keys and it was a nice change of pace. Also didn't expect the ending, kinda sad, but really great.

And for future reference

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.