Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 Thread Part II.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
The Official PS3 Thread Part II.

Last version here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=455427

I just saw last night that Smackdown vs Raw 2007 has been canned for the PS3 this year. It will still be released on the PS2, PSP and the 360.

Link to the story.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 07-25-06 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Bummer. That game was recently featured on the cover of PSM and looked NICE.
Old 07-25-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some other interesting things of note in there:

THQ appears to be approaching developing games for the PS3 cautiously in the console's formative years. Company CEO Brian Farrell has stated that developing for the PS3 and Xbox 360 was more difficult and expensive than the other next-gen console, the Wii. "One of the things we like about the Wii is the development costs...on the Wii are nowhere near what they are on the PS3 and Xbox 360," he said just before E3.

Such trepidation isn't limited to THQ. Sega of America president Simon Jeffrey warned, "There certainly will not be a lot of PS3 titles available at launch." For the record, Sony Computer Entertainment America CEO Kaz Hirai has stated that he believes there will be approximately 15 launch titles available when the PS3 goes on sale in the fall.
Old 07-25-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
You can now preorder a PS3 at import store Lik-Sang.

Preorder PS3
Old 07-26-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Lik-Sang has been taking pre-orders for a while now. My Lik-Sang pre-order is from May.
Old 07-30-06, 10:17 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entitlement points?

Sony To Award Entitlements

According to EGM's Dan Hsu the Sony Playstation 3 will be awarding their own version of Xbox 360 Achievements but will be calling them "entitlements."

During this week's EGM Live podcast, Hsu, the editor of EGM, said he had heard that Sony was going to call their achievements by this horrible name that could only come from the brilliant minds at Sony.

Let's start with the fact that this sounds absolutely retarded as a name. Is your screen going to flash "entitlement awarded" or something? That just sounds so robotic and stupid. Also, isn't that grammatically incorrect? Don't you have to be entitled to something?

It's also another example of a blatant ripoff of a very original idea from someone else that Sony is going to steal and try and pass off as another breakthrough for themselves.

It's really sad that a company that was great company has sunken to such depths. Maybe I'm crazy but who knows? I just know that this is a horrible name which better be changed if Sony doesn't want to have even more shit talked about them then they already are.
That can't be the final name.
Old 07-31-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sony actually came up with that idea back in 1995 and then Microsoft stole it from them. This generation starts when they say it does.
Old 07-31-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Sony actually came up with that idea back in 1995 and then Microsoft stole it from them. This generation starts when they say it does.
Whether they came up with it or not, they dropped the ball with that new name. Someone else mentioned the name "Bragging rights" which sounds better.

Actually, I wish they'd have just used achievements. Make it a universal video game thing. Is the name trademarked/restricted/copyrighted?
Old 07-31-06, 01:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I just saw last night that Smackdown vs Raw 2007 has been canned for the PS3 this year. It will still be released on the PS2, PSP and the 360.

Link to the story.
Ouch! That would have been a huge software system for the seller, and when people see it selling for the 360, it might tip the scales for them.
Old 07-31-06, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Whether they came up with it or not, they dropped the ball with that new name. Someone else mentioned the name "Bragging rights" which sounds better.

Actually, I wish they'd have just used achievements. Make it a universal video game thing. Is the name trademarked/restricted/copyrighted?

I'm pretty sure krdave was being sarcastic.
Old 07-31-06, 05:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That reminds me of the infamous Kaz Hirai quote.

"I wish that Microsoft would come up with some strategies of their own, but they seem to be going down the path of everything we do."
--Sony exec Kaz Hirai to OPM

This must be Sony's mission statement:
1. Steal innovative ideas from competition.
2. Rename the idea so that it appears to be original.
3. Act innocent and pass the blame onto the competition.
Old 08-03-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ouch! That would have been a huge software system for the seller, and when people see it selling for the 360, it might tip the scales for them.
It is interesting to see the similarities with the 360 and PS3 compared to the BR vs. HD-DVD thing. I think the PS3 will survive no matter what, but at least in the BR competition, Sony has been able to (so far) keep exclusives by keeping studios committed to only supporting BR. That is good for BR. But in the console world, exclusives are just as important, if not more, and they seem to be losing those with Grand Theft Auto, etc.

So where you have the decision to buy a BR player (currently) at twice the price of a HD-DVD player, you do get to have things like The Fifth Element, which you can't get for the HD-DVD (even though the picture actually sucks on that one, but you get the idea). In the console war, you have to choose to pay a lot more for a system that basically has the same games as a cheaper system, and probably is comparable in graphics (at least as similar as the Xbox vs. PS2 was, and that didn't seem to drive the bulk of sales to the Xbox).

Sony had better make sure that the PS3 isn't as poor in quality as the current BR run, or there could be trouble.

On the flip side, I hope this means that the Wii will get a lot of games this time around that the GC didn't. I am willing to bet that the graphics of the Wii will be more than enough for me for any given game, and it would be nice to get by with just the one system.
Old 08-03-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
SNK has jumped ship. They said they "may" make a PS3 game around 2009-2010. Development costs were cited as the reason.
Old 08-03-06, 06:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
SNK has jumped ship. They said they "may" make a PS3 game around 2009-2010. Development costs were cited as the reason.
Then perhaps they'll switch to XBL Arcade titles as their main focus for the next gen. Id definetly be intrested in some Samurai Shodown 2 over live. Heck, imagine if the Metal Slugs were to be released on XBL. Cant get better co-op then that.

Woops, i caught myself getting off-topic at the end of typing that. SNK really doesnt make anything other then ports anyway, so its no huge loss for sony IMO.
Old 08-03-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Every Metal Slug title is going to be a Wii launch title, according to SNK. (Packaged as a collection, not individually).
Old 08-07-06, 05:49 PM

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/ps...ity-192621.php

PS3 Digs Itself a Deeper Grave, Requires Adapter for Backwards Compatibility
In the biggest twist of the year, including last year, Sony has made another bad decision regarding the PlayStation 3. Claims have been running rampant that this console would be able to play both PS2 and PSOne games—it still will be able to, but require an additional adapter that will likely cost a kidney or two.

To use saved data on a PlayStation 2 memory card, you must copy the data onto a virtual memory card within the hard disk. This requires a PS2/PSone memory card adaptor to copy the data to your PLAYSTATION 3. A memory card adaptor is designed to edit, up/download game saves to and from EMS flash card or smart media card

Come on, Sony. Give up already. – Travis Hudson

Edit: Fine, I will give in. I have chugged the Haterade towards Sony today, maybe it was all of that Apple nonsense that got me worked up. Anyway, you can still play games, but your memory cards won't work unless you drop some money on a crazy adapter. But who wants to start FF7 over again anyway? That shit takes forever to get Nights of the Round and I don't think I could live with seeing Aeris die, again.
Chris
Old 08-07-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Yeah, you can't use your previous game saves. We already knew that. For whoever that asshole was who wrote that piece, he really made a fool of himself. Having 100% backwards compatibility is a bigger deal to me. Yeah, someone will have to come up with a dex drive-type adaptor for game saves, but it's a heck of a lot better than a new system that may leave 50-75% of your previous generation games unplayable don't you think?
Old 08-07-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Loosing Smackdown killed it for me. Thats the one game I will always play till I die. Was prepared to drop however much for the game and a PS3 on launch. So, I bought a 360 instead. PSP can be my Sony outlet.
Old 08-08-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta have backwards compatibility.

With this news it may be a few years until I purchase a PS3
Old 08-08-06, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't understand why the PS2/PS1 slots couldn't have been built in to the actual face of the system, though. Are you telling me people want a memory card reader for their photos more than PS1/2 memory card slots?
Old 08-08-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will take buying a $10-$20 adaptor (personal estimate) for backwards compatibility over a $100 addon anyday.
Old 08-08-06, 09:41 AM
Retired

Better than the 360, but it would be nice for at least PS2 mem cards to have been usable (since you could use PS1 mem cards on the PS2 and had to in fact to save PS1 games).

A fairly minor annoyance, but just another strike against Sony for me that makes me more and more unlikely to every buy another of their products when I was a big fan before this PS3 mess (have a sony TV, receiver, dvd player, speakers, discman and ps2 currently).
Old 08-08-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't understand why the PS2/PS1 slots couldn't have been built in to the actual face of the system, though. Are you telling me people want a memory card reader for their photos more than PS1/2 memory card slots?
Agree 100%. To Sony, the PS3 seems to a video game console second (or third). I'm glad that you'll be able to use your old saves at least (I'd been wondering about it since day one), but for $600 a damn memory card slot should be on the machine somewhere for crying out loud.
Old 08-08-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The the very least a USB cable that could be used to move memory card data to/from the hard drive. I'm sure the decision is purely cosmetic. They didn't want to have holes on the thing and a door to hide them would be too kiddie.
Old 08-08-06, 10:16 AM
Retired

I doubt it was cosmetic. The memory card slots could just have little covers over the opening that pushed back inside when you stick the card in.

It was ether just an oversight on their part and/or a way to save a little on each console and something they though gamers wouldnt' miss (like MS thinking people didnt' care about backwards compatibility and going with the mess of a system they have).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.