Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rename the Wii (immature jokes can also go here but no console bashing)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rename the Wii (immature jokes can also go here but no console bashing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 09:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the shitbox image as derrogatory for Nintendo. The point they are making is the name doesn't mean shit, it doesn't matter, it's going to be a great console and you'll buy it no matter what. You are reading way too much into it.

Again, don't click on this thread if your maturity won't allow you to have a little fun.
Old 04-28-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd buy a shitbox for $199.
Old 04-28-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See GP likes (and started) this thread, I find this thread useless and would prefer to lock it. I come to this forum for "generally" intelligent conversation, and to be overrun with Wii jokes that are far from intelligent (my 4 year old nephew makes pee jokes too), and even further from funny, isn't very stimulating.

And yes, locking threads making fun of the PS3 design, the fact the original Xbox could kill a small child due to its size, etc should IMO fit into the same category as dick jokes about a system name.
Old 04-28-06, 10:00 AM
Banned

I like the idea of the thread, and as long as it is kept serious.
DVD Talk Legend

The teasing doesn't bother me so much, I actually posted the first "Wee Wee" comment in the first thread as a matter of fact and the Shitbox image is pretty funny.. it's the fact that one is allowed and another isn't that gets under my skin. And I don't think the "If it bothers you, don't click" argument works.. if someone started a "Make fun of Xbox 360 thread.." Xbox guys are going to jump in regardless.. or how about the various derogatory threads/comments on the DS in its infancy..? Those were heavily policed as well. I get the feeling that because a mod agrees with what's being said, it's given leniency against what we'd normally allow.
Mod Emeritus

I started this thread as a serious place to rename the wii due to all the criticism. But if we can also use it to confine the dick jokes, which will be inevitable, so be it. As long as no one is overtly console bashing I think it's fine. If someone does do that, please report it, seriously.

This thing will run its course eventually Nintendo guys. Just grin and bear it
Old 04-28-06, 10:01 AM
Retired

Revolution was the perfect name IMO.
Old 04-28-06, 10:03 AM
Retired

BTW, I don't like the comments still being allowed, as other said it didn't happen with the PS3 grill thread, the DS bashing etc.

But if it's going to be allowed, then for confining it to one thread at least. I just think it sets a bad precedent going into the next gen console war. You remember how ugly it was 5 years ago, I imagine it will be even worse this time with it likely being a tight race between MS and Sony and with Nintendo doing their own thing. It won't be a fun place to mod, especially if you loosen the reins now.
Old 04-28-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't really see people's problems with this new name. Yes, it's a little silly, but is it really any worse than the "XBOX 360"? Even Playstation, if it wasn't so common place, sounds sort of ridiculous when you think about it. Consoles have always had odd names.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 04-28-06 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 10:07 AM
Mod Emeritus

I get the feeling that because a mod agrees with what's being said, it's given leniency against what we'd normally allow.
Nice attempt to bash me. Keep trying.
Old 04-28-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I started this thread as a serious place to rename the wii due to all the criticism. But if we can also use it to confine the dick jokes, which will be inevitable, so be it. As long as no one is overtly console bashing I think it's fine.
On the contrary, I don't think anybody is (or will be) console bashing. Any gamer with more than a brain cell or two has to be stoked about the console. The console is innovative and gorgeous.

For the most part, I think we're looking at N-fans who are just disappointed in Nintendo's decision to give this thing a silly name...and are expressing it the only way they can.

Incidentally, "Pii" popped into my head as an alternate name as well. Great minds, I suppose.
Old 04-28-06, 10:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

I don't mind Pi myself. or Phi (da vinci code anyone?).
Old 04-28-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up (I realize the dichotomy there).

Ii laughed at the George Foreman PS3 pics and the Wii is like striking comedy gold in the mine that is console-naming. If you are going to get it then why even worry about what it's called?

plz don't add fuel to the fire

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 04-28-06 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 10:17 AM

If it was called "Pii" people would say "Pee" and it would be fourth grade recess all over again.

Keeping in mind with Nintendo's goals of a name, how about "Core".
Old 04-28-06, 10:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Nintendo guys:

I think the best thing to do is let everyone get it out of their system and get over it already. The sooner we do that the sooner people will accept it and move on. As long as no one is overtly trashing it or console bashing.
Old 04-28-06, 10:19 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Franchise
Seriously, everyone needs to lighten up (I realize the dichotomy there).

Ii laughed at the George Foreman PS3 pics and the Wii is like striking comedy gold in the mine that is console-naming. If you are going to get it then why even worry about what it's called?

plz don't add fuel to the fire

Hell I think the name is lame. And I couldn't care less what anyone else, especially people that post here, think about Nintendo in general.

I just don't want to see this forum degenerate into the festering fanboy shithole it was in 2001 again this fall when the next console war gets underway.

And inconsistent rulings (by different mods at different times I realize) aren't a good start. Hopefully this will wear off soon, and the mods will go back to cutting down on even borderline console bashing.
Old 04-28-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about something descriptive like Wave or Tilt or Wand or Free?

How about "Unleashed"?
Old 04-28-06, 10:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

OK I'm steering this thread back on course: either get a dick joke out of your system or post something serious. Either way, enough discussion on whether we can tease the wii. If you seriously wish to discuss the name and its ramifications do so in the official thread.
Old 04-28-06, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nintendo should call their next console after the Wii the Wiii, then the next console after that the Wiiii. Eventually, we would have a Nintendo Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.
Old 04-28-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They clearly should have called it the "Nintendo Mothafucking Chuck Norris Gangsta Keg-Stand Death Star of Kicking Ass That Totally Likes Chicks and is Indisputably Not Gay, With Built-In Water Pipe."

Or the NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP.

Imagine the commercial:

Fade in on guy sitting on a couch playing his NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP, lurching around madly with the controller. Then there's an explosion sound, and he sighs with anguish. Cut to the TV screen where a message scrolls up that says "You lose again, Bitch! Is sucking that hard a natural talent or do you have to practice?" Then it cuts back to the guy for his shamed reaction, and finally, it pans across the couch to a woman sitting next to the guy. holding her NMFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP controller against her crotch and shuddering with pleasure. Cue up "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard as the image fades out to the official slogan.

Nintendo MFCNGKSDSKATTLCiiNGWBIWP. It will kick your ass and fuck your girlfriend.

Everyone would buy that.
Old 04-28-06, 11:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Mod Note: I am now actively enforcing this thread's topic. Anything off topic will be deleted. If you would like to discuss the issue further, either email me or post something in the feedback forum. Payroll I put your post in the 1/Only thread. Thanks
Old 04-28-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's all you GP - I prefer to stay out of this thread
Old 04-28-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Old 04-28-06, 12:21 PM

Not good:
Old 04-28-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
but it all comes back to:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.