Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Long entombed thread uncovered (Tomb Raider hits some Wednesday in 2006)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Long entombed thread uncovered (Tomb Raider hits some Wednesday in 2006)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I went to pick up my copy of this the other day the guy at Gamestop joked about how slow I was to pick up my reserve. The delay was because the game was mainly meant to be for my wife and she was slow to try the demo I downloaded on LIVE.

I know I'm way far behind but I just beat the game and I'm very impressed. I love Prince of Persia but the heights in that game really get to me. This was much more tame and therefore much more enjoyable for me. Those medals can be pretty hard to find and that one in at the very top of the training room in Croft Manor is driving me freaking crazy.

I have renewed faith and interest in the series.
Old 05-01-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I finally got this over the weekend at Circuit City ($49.99-360 version). Having a blast so far. Graphics look pretty good, but the gameplay is fun. It's nice to see a good Tomb Raider game again after the last few lousy releases. This was a good stepping stone into reviving the franchise. I'm sure the next release in the series will be longer. This one will keep me busy for awhile since I don't have lots of time to play games in general.
Old 05-01-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I have renewed faith and interest in the series.
This is my first TR experience and I have to say that I'm down for a sequel. I think it is a great game. I'm about halfway through on the difficult setting and it still seems rather short. Going back to find the medals and time trials should add a bit of time to it though.
Old 05-06-06, 08:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

My friend owns it and I played it for my first time, this morning. I thought it was really good, and this is coming from someone who's never been able to really get into a Tomb Raider game before. I don't know why I didn't like them. Currently, I'm considering buying this, because I have a $40 (CAD) Gamecube memory card that I haven't opened and I don't need - I'm going to take it back to Wal-mart. It's just a toss-up between this and Burnout Revenge. I heard Burnout gets repetitive after a while and I'd probably go through this to get most of (if not all of) the secrets.
Old 05-06-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I am at 98% on the game with around 13 hours played. That is going through the game on hard and getting all the achievements. It was a great game but very short. Not sure if it will get much replay after I get 100%.
Old 05-06-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the difference between the difficulty levels? Gunshot damage?
Old 05-06-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I played the 360 demo and I'm really interested in playing the my first Tomb Raider since TR 2.
Old 05-06-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I've been thinking of picking this game up because it looks similar to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. To those that have played it, is such a comparison accurate?
Old 05-06-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've been thinking of picking this game up because it looks similar to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. To those that have played it, is such a comparison accurate?
It's kinda close to that but without the severe heights that make me dizzy and the super confusing jumping puzzles.

I enjoyed the first POP game, somewhat enjoyed the second and then by the third was pretty damn tired of it moving so much toward sword fighting. I knew that TR would have puzzles and acrobatics like POP and I also knew I would be shooting shit up so there were no surprises when I started to play TR.
Old 05-07-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you loved the first PoP you will love Tomb Raider. Very similar games, IMO.

Re: Difficulty
all the puzzles are the same, everything is located in the same areas, items, enemies, etc. the only difference is gunshot damage and fewer health packs dropped by the enemies. It really wasn't that hard at all. Plus you can save yourself going through the game twice to get the "Tomb Raider" achievement. If you play through on hard, finishing the last level will net you 300 points.
Old 05-08-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys. This game definitely sounds like my cup of tea.

I know what you mean about the current PoP trilogy, MasterofDVD. As much as I liked the fact that PoP:TTT came across as a throwback to PoP:TSOT, it was disappointing that the "puzzles" pretty much boiled down to finding the most effective way to kill all the guys in the room (ironically, PoP:WW had a greater sense of exploration). That said, it had the best boss battles in the entire series.
Old 05-08-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Re: Difficulty
all the puzzles are the same, everything is located in the same areas, items, enemies, etc. the only difference is gunshot damage and fewer health packs dropped by the enemies. It really wasn't that hard at all. Plus you can save yourself going through the game twice to get the "Tomb Raider" achievement. If you play through on hard, finishing the last level will net you 300 points.
Thanks. Didn't know that about the 300 points with the Hard level. I think I'll start over with Hard since I've only done the first couple of levels on Normal.
Old 05-08-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well it is broken up. You get 125 for beating the game on any level, then an additional 175 for beating it on Hard. So if you just play though on Hard it would be 300.
Old 05-13-06, 10:25 PM

I've already played the whole game on normal. Can I just beat the last level on hard, or do I have to replay all the levels on hard to get the hard acheivment? One more thing... The time trials, do you actually have to beat the whole level in a certain time, or is the level a little different? There's no way I could beat the trials if I have to finish the whole level in a certain time. No way.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 05-13-06 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The time trials are the same exact levels. Same enemies, you just rush through them. They aren't terribly difficult, but if you are having problems do level 8 first(final boss), you will get a "one hit kill" cheat that you can use during the time trials. This should shave anywhere between 1-8 minutes off each level.
Old 05-14-06, 01:28 PM

I used the one hit kill and quit glitch method to get the time trials. After that I used the cheats you unlock to complete the game under the hard setting. So I got my final acheivment on the last day of my rental.
Old 05-14-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. The game really wasn't hard enough to warrant cheats & glitches. To each their own.
Old 05-15-06, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. The game really wasn't hard enough to warrant cheats & glitches. To each their own.
1. I stink at video games. I admit it, I use cheats a lot.
2. I don't do well with races or timed levels
3. I just wanted to finish the game in time and get all acheivments so I could return it to BB. I have a 1180 gamescore. Not bad for someone who only got a 360 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-15-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I got the game. TR in the past has been unplayable for me. In this one, it's a bit better although there are some very clear design/playtest issues I would've brought up.

Worth a rental.
Old 05-19-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
SON OF A BITCH.

What the fuck. I can't replay each level individually on hard?!? I need to replay the entire game again? @^$#^$!@

This game sucks to have to play through a 4th time. Anyone else, don't switch to hard half-way through, it won't work. You need to do the whole @%!% thing over again.

Old 05-24-06, 05:13 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The PS2 version is $35 at Target this week. Tempting.
Old 12-21-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I finally picked this game up Tuesday (and beat it last night, although I have a few treasures to find) and I really enjoyed it. It has a real PoP vibe to it, although I wish the puzzles were far more complex than what was offered. I don't get all the venom being spewed by TR fans at this game. Though not perfect, it's a solid adventure game. Even the interative cutscenes were fun without being overbearing. And why do they claim Lara was a whiny crybaby in this game? I only saw her get emotional once
Spoiler:
("Where... is... my... MOTHER?!")
and she wasn't even in tears when that happened.

My only real gripes are the aforementioned puzzle length/simplicity, the second bike chase, the abrupt ending
Spoiler:
(although it being a cliffhanger didn't bother me)
, and it should have been a longer game overall.
Old 12-21-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that I might be getting this for Christmas, since I mentioned that I wouldn't mind having it and it can be bought for $20 new at EBGames. From what I have heard elsewhere, it seems to be a pretty good little game that is a bit on the short side, which is exactly what I am looking for to start over the Christmas break.
Old 02-26-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
re: Long entombed thread uncovered (Tomb Raider hits some Wednesday in 2006)

[I have the original TOMB RAIDER on the SEGA SATURN, played it for a couple of minutes and hated it. never cared for the franchise.]

Thought it was time to play them, so just bought this

to go along with the reboot and the 2 Arcade Games [just bought TEMPLE OF OSIRIS during sale) never played marathon.

Decided to go ahead and play it it on hard, it wasn't the enemies but the damn puzzles that had me repeating a single level for a long time. Nice to feel the controls being real good although sometimes difficult. The graphics are real good and LARA just kicks major ass, "From this moment, your every breath is a gift from me."

also
Spoiler:

these were my times:
Bolivia: 50m50s
Peru: 1h14m20s
Japan: 45m36s
West Africa: 1h9m28s
Kazakhstan 1h34m42s
England: 1h45m20s
Nepal: 45m39s
Bolivia Redux: around 9 min

total 8H19M

So I suck and they want me to beat each in a certain time limit also

Anyway great game, reading reviews it seems ANNIVERSARY and especially UNDERWORLD are a step down.

My adventure continues...

Last edited by gerrythedon; 02-26-15 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
re: Long entombed thread uncovered (Tomb Raider hits some Wednesday in 2006)

I agree with Deftones, you should be banned.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.