Reload this Page >

Question about Resident Evil 4 - considering buying it

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-20-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that they've lowered the price for RE4 significantly, I'm thinking about picking it up because I've heard a lot about it. The thing is I'm really not much of a gamer except for when a new Zelda comes out. I do like throwing something in every now and then to goof around because I don't have a lot of time to mess with video games, so here's my question- is Resident Evil 4 a game you can just toss in and play for a while for fun, or does it require a big investment to learn to play and develop a game (like Zelda or other rpg's)?
(btw, I've never played ANY Resident Evil games).
Just like to know cause I'd love a great first-person shooter, but don't have the time to invest in a long story/role-playing thing.
thanks
Old 02-20-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
so here's my question- is Resident Evil 4 a game you can just toss in and play for a while for fun, or does it require a big investment to learn to play and develop a game (like Zelda or other rpg's)?

Just like to know cause I'd love a great first-person shooter, but don't have the time to invest in a long story/role-playing thing.
RE4 is not an FPS. That said, I found it pretty easy to play in chunks.
Old 02-20-06, 02:30 PM

Yeah, it's easy to pick up and play. I would seriously pick it up. One of the best games I played last year. Couldn't put it down.
Old 02-20-06, 02:44 PM
Suspended

one of the top 10 games of all time. There is NO reason why you should not buy this game.
Old 02-20-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is very doable in chunks ... though you do have to find specific places to save. However, unlike other REs, you don't have limited numbers of saves.
Old 02-20-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
It even seperates the game in chapters. Some people don't like games that are too linear but I agree that the pick up and play factor is important. There are several games that I picked up and just forgot what I was doing after not playing it for awhile.

RE 4 is awesome. I've been playing for the past month or so. Investing a few hour here and there. Now I'm in the sewers of the castle.
Old 02-20-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have the option to save frequently if you wish as the save points are not that infrequent. Its easy to pick up and play.

BUY IT!!
Old 02-20-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. I'll get it.
Old 02-20-06, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
Cool. I'll get it.

How much is it now? I bought it at TRU for $10. Is that what the going price is now?
Old 02-20-06, 04:13 PM

The controls are very "pick up and play."
Old 02-20-06, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tanman
How much is it now? I bought it at TRU for $10. Is that what the going price is now?
The PS2 version is still around $40. The GameCube version has dropped to around $20.

That $10 TRU sale last year was a steal.
Old 02-20-06, 09:38 PM
Suspended

In my top 5 of all time, should be copped immediately without 2nd thought.
Old 02-20-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Some of the save points near the end get to be far apart, but you almost always backtrack to a previous save point without any penalty.
Old 02-21-06, 04:31 AM
Banned

I loved it as well, AWESOME game, but just a heads up. Im a very old school gamer, and i find the difficulty of the game very excessive. I am using a AR Max (Cheat Device) and i STILL die all the time!! It is an awesome game, but i honestly wonder at times how its possible to beat the game without cheating.

p.s. - i still havent finished it lol, albiet in almost done.
Old 02-21-06, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
I loved it as well, AWESOME game, but just a heads up. Im a very old school gamer, and i find the difficulty of the game very excessive. I am using a AR Max (Cheat Device) and i STILL die all the time!! It is an awesome game, but i honestly wonder at times how its possible to beat the game without cheating.
It's very possible to beat without cheating ... it just takes patience and strategy. Oh ... and I think an "old school gamer" wouldn't even have a cheating device
Old 02-21-06, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by silentbob007
It's very possible to beat without cheating ... it just takes patience and strategy. Oh ... and I think an "old school gamer" wouldn't even have a cheating device
RE4 was the reason i ended up picking up the AR Max. I truely wanted to beat it without cheating, but it was futile. I salute you guys who are beating it as is tho, the PS2 version drops 1/2 of the items the gamecube version does!!!
Old 02-21-06, 10:24 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
RE 4 kicks ass. STill can't believe I picked it up for $10. Great, great game. Cannot wait for the next one.
Old 02-21-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts
RE4 is the best game I played on the Cube. Expect to dies alot if this is first time playing any Resident Evil games but to make it easier here some tips that might help you out.

Spoiler:
To save ammo tried to shoot the ganado below their knee and when it fall to the ground quickly run up and start slashing with your knife til they die.

Spoiler:
When you first enter the village don't go into the big house with the shotgun if you do you well trigger the chainsaw guy coming at you instead go inside the house next to barn with the cow and shoot the door and start slashing with your knife at the ganados on the hole you made on the door. This save me alot on wasting ammo, don't forget to grab any ammo and pestas they dropped and do it again.

Spoiler:
Keep a sharp eye out for treasures and remember some treasures can be combinded with others to make it worth a lot of pestas.

Spoiler:
Don't forget to upgrade your weapons when you have a chance and have alot of pestas too spend. Here my weapons of choice but you can alway picked what you liked. Handgun: Red9 (some people prefer the Blacktail for it speed but I liked it for it power but the choice is your). Shotgun: Striker ( get it to exclusive and it can carry 100 shells). Rifle: Semi-Auto (no contest). Magnum: Broken Butterly ( you can get this for free with a little help from a person you trying to save.)

Last edited by dom56; 02-21-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-21-06, 11:47 AM

p.s. - i still havent finished it lol, albiet in almost done.

What? You're kidding me.
Old 02-21-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Yeah, I've had trouble with game difficulty in the past but RE4 wasn't bad at all - played through it almost 3 times, though the 2nd and 3rd were a lot easier with the
Spoiler:
unlimited rocket launcher
Old 02-21-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RE4 is one of the first games I beat on the "extra hard" mode. I breezed through normal and Professional mode was a bit of a challenge but otherwise ok. Just a question though -

How DO you get the broken butterfly for free? I take it Ashley is involved...
Old 02-21-06, 01:08 PM
Banned

How many of you guys finished the GC one vs the ps2 one? As i mentioned earlier, the ps2 version is much more difficult, i got very far in the GC one with no cheats as well, its just the PS2 version has more enemys attacking and literally half the items dropped. It makes for a much more difficult experience.
Old 02-21-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Really love this game. I got the PS2 version (I don't have a GameCube) and have been having blast with it. I'm currently playing the main game anew and play Seperate Ways.

I too would like to know the free magnum trick.
Old 02-21-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
How many of you guys finished the GC one vs the ps2 one? As i mentioned earlier, the ps2 version is much more difficult, i got very far in the GC one with no cheats as well, its just the PS2 version has more enemys attacking and literally half the items dropped. It makes for a much more difficult experience.
Hmmm...I don't recall hearing that the PS2 was more difficult. I did play the GC version.
Old 02-21-06, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superboy
RE4 is one of the first games I beat on the "extra hard" mode. I breezed through normal and Professional mode was a bit of a challenge but otherwise ok. Just a question though -

How DO you get the broken butterfly for free? I take it Ashley is involved...
Spoiler:
If I remember right, it is when you are in the castle; you do need Ashley; it is one of those places you walk around outside on the tops of the walls, on the west side of the castle; there is a locked door you can't open, and an open window up above; you need to hoist Ashely up there through the windows, so she can ulock the door on the inside. I think it is one of the places you visit when Ashley is captured, so you have to remember to go back there again once she is with you.

At least, I think that is where it is. Haven't played it in about a year now. Surprised I remember that much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.