Reload this Page >

Disney Infinity - Disney's Infinite Moneymaker

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-14-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this can exist outside the Skylander's thread where the only discussion of this game I saw was

My daughter has a birthday coming up and she and her mom are big Disney fans ... they are interested in this game but here is my dilemma/questions

We own a PS3 and Wii ... they mainly use the Wii when they game ... I only use the PS3

I am trying to figure out what the limitations are of purchasing this game on the Wii ..... I don't think it would be a great investment for the PS3 as I may sell my system and use that money towards a PS4

there isn't much info out there but I did find this thread that someone stated the following regarding the Wii version ...
So far it seems to have the following limitations:

No Online co-op
Potentially smaller toy box
Some Toy box items might be missing
Can't be patched for future updates (this is a big one)
No connectivity with the cloud( so you can't use the iPad app)
http://disneyinfinityfans.com/viewto....DDMFbxzc.dpbs

I'm trying to decide if the limitations on the Wii are enough to pass and buy the PS3 version and then possibly be without the game until a PS4 version is released

also don't know and there is conflicting info as to if the bases for these games are all the same unit/USB connection ... I know the figures are not tied to a particular console and I believe there are chips on the figs that hold the memory but not sure if the base/dock is the same exact unit for all platforms .... I also guess a stand alone game (without the accessories) would need to be made available if released for the PS4 so I wouldn't be paying the cost of all the accessories again if everything was cross platform except for the game disc itself
Old 08-14-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Re: Disney Infinity - Questions

I know the Skylanders bases were somewhat compatible cross platform, but it actually changed with the second game, and I don't think the cross platform base compatibility question has been answered for Infinity yet. The characters should have a chip that enable them to be cross platform. As you say, you'll need to buy a game for the new system anyway, and I doubt they'll sell the game without the starter pack, at least not until the sequel (and this is one game where I don't think they'll sell it stand alone digitally).

When do you think you'll get a PS4? If it's not anytime soon, I'd go with that; if it's soon, I'd reluctantly go with the Wii version.
Old 08-14-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, since this will be a bday present I think I may just be stuck buying the Wii version
I have a PS4 launch unit on order ... I haven't made the decision yet (will come down to cash flow and what I can get for the PS3) if I'll keep the launch unit or purchase it later
Old 08-14-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

i'd trade the ps3 sooner rather than later. i just got like $160 from gamestop a few weeks ago. i'd imagine they will start to drop in value the closer to the ps4 launch.
Old 08-14-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to order this for the Wii but changed my mind after reading about the Wii limitation. Not a big deal for me though since I have 2 PS3s. (And no intentions of trading either one in) I have yet to see any info on a ps4 release.
Old 08-14-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
i'd trade the ps3 sooner rather than later. i just got like $160 from gamestop a few weeks ago. i'd imagine they will start to drop in value the closer to the ps4 launch.
Understood, but I'm in no rush as it is my only BD player and I am still doing some light gaming
I have no intention of dealing with GS ... I'll likely Craigslist it with my games (same as I did with my PS2)
Old 08-14-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cruzness
I started to order this for the Wii but changed my mind after reading about the Wii limitation. Not a big deal for me though since I have 2 PS3s. (And no intentions of trading either one in) I have yet to see any info on a ps4 release.
yeah I hate to invest in the Wii version but I guess my daughter and wife really won't know about the limitations and I can look to sell it off (minus the figs) when a PS4 version is released

I guess I'm answering much of my original question/dilema
Old 08-15-13, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
yeah I hate to invest in the Wii version but I guess my daughter and wife really won't know about the limitations and I can look to sell it off (minus the figs) when a PS4 version is released

I guess I'm answering much of my original question/dilema
I would just wait for the ps4 version. That way they don't have to start over when you change consoles.

Since you're selling the game when the ps4 version comes out, why not just get the ps3 version?
Old 08-15-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I would just wait for the ps4 version. That way they don't have to start over when you change consoles.

Since you're selling the game when the ps4 version comes out, why not just get the ps3 version?
because there is no timeframe given as to when a PS4 version will be released
(at least that I have seen)
Not sure I want to risk giving it as a gift with them getting approx 2 months of play out of it and then having to wait (who knows how long) for a new version to get going again
Old 08-15-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Your progress with the characters is saved to the chip in the toy much like in skylanders. and from what I understand the information in the toys is cross-platform. You could buy the PS3 or Wii version and whenever the PS4 version is released you could buy it and sell your older game version along with the new toys.
Old 08-15-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But isn't there a building component to the sandbox as well? I'd think that would be lost. Similar to Skylanders, you'd have all your Skylanders leveled up if you moved to a new platform, but you'd have to start the adventure from scratch.
Old 08-15-13, 03:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm getting this on the 360 so my kids can continue to play it when I upgrade the PS3 at Xmas. Those buying the Xbox One this year should consider the opposite approach.
Old 08-15-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buy it on the WiiU so that you can have the TV all to yourself...
Old 08-15-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vooks: Will the original Wii will still be able to handle all the same levels as the bigger HD consoles?

John: The Wii does have some limitations. The Wii is not nearly as connected of a console as the others so for example, the uploading and downloading of worlds does not work on the Wii because it has console limitations and what it can do on the internet and the Wii also, from a sheer technical standpoint, the Wii is not quite as sophisticated as the other consoles but we’ve adjusted some of the features of the game and some of the content but for the most part, on the Wii you still have the toy box, you still have a bunch of toys, you can still place a bunch of toys and you can still build the worlds that way so the Wii is maybe tailored a little more specifically for it’s hardware needs, but it’s pretty much the same game.

Vooks: Is that the same with the 3DS version as well?

John: The 3DS version is a companion product so the 3DS will support all of the toys and all of the power disks and all of everything, just like any other version of the game but the game is quite different. It’s a companion product that’s more suited to kind of the capabilities of the 3DS but there is a game on the 3DS that works with other toys.

Vooks: The Wii U version has the GamePad there so that’s got the toy box fully on that. So how did you find the Wii U to work with the GamePad?

John: The Wii U has some interesting capabilities and I think we’ve leveraged them pretty wisely. So, every character of course has an inventory of tools and packs that they can use and normally on every other console we’d have to press a button on the controller and then this opens up a menu and then we can select our tools and packs from that menu and scroll through this wheel of stuff and it works pretty well, but you do have to kind of stop what you’re doing, if you have a really large inventory, it can take a minute to kind of scroll through and find what you’re looking for whereas on the Wii U, on the gamepad, your inventory when you’re just playing is up on the touchscreen the whole time so you can easily switch between your tools and packs just by moving your thumb and touching what you want on the screen without ever stopping the action.

This is extremely useful – you can see what you’re doing and see so much information all at the same time because the screen is so big. You have like this extra screen and none of it clutters up the TV where you’re playing which is really pretty awesome. We also do support the takeaway play feature (Off TV Play) of the GamePad where you can use the gamepad as the screen and take it into an adjacent room or something. Now additionally, when you’re constructing in the toy box, you get something similar where rather then you script the interface off-screen to do all of your building and selecting all of your toys, you have all of the toys displayed on the touch screen on the gamepad and so it’s really easy to quickly select the toys that you’re trying to place on the Wii U. It’s a really great way to play the toy box.
Full interview here:
http://www.vooks.net/the-happiest-ga...ucer-john-day/
Old 08-15-13, 08:52 PM

TRU is going to have exclusive crystal figures (think skylanders legendary figures). The first one up is Crystal Lightning Mcqueen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobe...ystal-figures/

They also have an exclusive power disk. I am not sure how that works since the rest of the power disks are blind packs. Perhaps it's just a single power disk for sale?

Edit: TRU has an exclusive power disk pack which contains one random disc and one special TRU exclusive disc (there are 10 exclusive TRU discs). Some sites are saying the first exclusive power disc is mike's car but that doesn't make any sense. How the hell are they going to release the last 9? Keep changing the packaging?

TRU also has some decent sales.
b1g1 for $1 on power packs
b1g1 50% off on all disney infinity items (I need to find out if this works on the game...)

Last edited by Krayzie; 08-16-13 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-16-13, 07:37 AM

I haven't bought anything yet and I am already angry about the power disc blind packs lol

Last edited by Krayzie; 08-16-13 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what are the power disks for?
Old 08-16-13, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So what are the power disks for?
Round power discs give stat boosts and hexagonal ones give special vehicles, themes, items for the toy box. There will be 30 total. 10 exclusive to special TRU packs. 3 of the hexagonal discs are supposed to be rare. I have no idea how rare they will be though. TRU is doing a trade event on sept 7th for kids to get together and trade power discs lol

Someone on an infinity forum is saying that a TRU representative confirmed that the TRU exclusive power disc pack will come with Mike's car and a random series 1 power disc. The other 9 exclusives will come later on in their own packs.

I bolded the rare discs.

Wave 1 (Does not include TRU Exclusives)
Round Power Disc
•Bolt Strength Power Disc -- In-Game Character does 10% more damage
•Fix it Felix's Fix You Power Disc -- In-Game Character has 20% more health.
•C.H.R.O.M.E's damage control! Power Disc -- In-Game Character receives 10% less damage
•Pirate Booty Power Disc -- In-Game Character gains Economy at a 10% faster rate

Hexagonal Power Disc
•Mickey's Jalopy Power Disc -- Spawn Mickey's Jalopy inside the Toy Box
•Cinderella's Coach Power Disc -- Spawn Cinderella's Coach inside the Toy Box
Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster Vehicle Power Disc -- Spawn the Astro Blaster vehicle from the Buzz Lightyear attraction at Walt Disney World inside the Toy Box
Dumbo Flying Elephant Ride Power Disc -- Spawn the Dumbo ride at Walt Disney World inside the Toy Box
Abu as an elephant Power Disc -- Spawn the elephant version of Abu from "Aladdin" inside the Toy Box
•Kahn the Horse Power Disc -- Spawn Kahn the horse from "Mulan" inside the Toy Box
•Stitch's Blaster Power Disc -- Spawn Stitch's Blaster from "Lilo and Stitch" inside the Toy Box
•Cane with Tennis Balls Power Disc -- Spawn Carl's walker from "Up" inside the Toy Box
•Sugar Rush Terrain Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box terrain to "Sugar Rush" theme from Wreck-It Ralph film
•Sugar Rush Sky Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box sky to "Sugar Rush" theme from Wreck-It Ralph film
•Alice In Wonderland Terrain Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box terrain to "Alice In Wonderland" animated film theme
•Alice in Wonderland Sky Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box sky to "Alice In Wonderland" animated film theme
•Finding Nemo Terrain Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box terrain to "Finding Nemo" theme
•Finding Nemo Sky Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box sky to "Finding Nemo" theme
•Tangled Lantern Terrain Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box terrain to "Tangled" theme
•Tangled Lantern Sky Power Disc -- Transforms Toy Box sky to "Tangled" theme

Last edited by Krayzie; 08-16-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, 1/3 of the discs will be exclusive to TRU (and their insane markup on things)? Do they have to stay on the portal, or can you use it, get the item, then trade it without losing the item?
Old 08-16-13, 12:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They have to be on the portal.
Old 08-16-13, 12:38 PM

Last I heard each pack had one round and one hexagon disc. So basically you have to buy at the very least 16 packs just to have a chance of getting all 16 hexagon discs. $5 a pack = way too much money! Also add in the 10 TRU packs and you have to buy at least 26 packs!
Old 08-16-13, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, 1/3 of the discs will be exclusive to TRU (and their insane markup on things)? Do they have to stay on the portal, or can you use it, get the item, then trade it without losing the item?
FYI best buy has the same mark up as tru now. $1 more than amazon / walmart / target.
Old 08-16-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh crud, the initial wave of figures seemed a lot more boy-oriented, but I see the add-ons have a lot of princess-related stuff, and searching for confirmed characters it seems like they will be branching out. I hope the game is absolutely terrible so I can just avoid this like the plague (though I've heard that the developer's previous Toy Story game was pretty good)
Old 08-16-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Last I heard each pack had one round and one hexagon disc. So basically you have to buy at the very least 16 packs just to have a chance of getting all 16 hexagon discs. $5 a pack = way too much money! Also add in the 10 TRU packs and you have to buy at least 26 packs!
Blind packs suck, but at least they're just stat-boosters or cosmetic changes. They're easy to ignore.

http://kotaku.com/the-worst-feature-...iscs-961601654
Old 08-16-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toys R Us is going to be having a power disc swap event (I think I read Sept. 7) - this will allow people with duplicates to trade with others to get different discs ... just something to keep in mind when we get those dupes in the blind packs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.