Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Looking for PGR3 Hints and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for PGR3 Hints and Tips

So, I got PGR3 for Christmas on the 360. I have playing for a while and I really can't get the hang of it. Most of my past racing has been the Gran Turismo series. PGR requires a completely different type of driving.

Right now I have the Saleen, Ruf and the Panoz "Batmobile." The Ruf is the best handling car and my car of choice.

I can drive races OK, but it is the Kudos events that I have problems doing. For the cone events I am somehow supposed to essentially do one big drift the entire time? I can barely see the cones driving normally, let alone sliding back and forth. I mean in the first 8 solo events I have only earned about 32,000 kudos, and I see some people average that per race.

Is this something that comes with time and practice, or is there some sort of driver's education I can take? I may unload PGR3 and pick up NFS instead. When does Ridge Racer come out? Would that be more just racing and less empahsis on sliding and such?
Old 01-05-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just start racing online with us, just watch out for martin5 and strangehate they're dirty racers anyway yeah it'll take time pgr isn't easy but its damn fun.
Old 01-05-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree, I'm not the greatest either but after a while it gets better. I use the atom with the cone events because it's small and handles nice.
Old 01-06-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own a bunch of cars but you really need to own 2 to win the game.

For cone/overtake the Ultima
For speed/races/drift the Enzo Ferrari

Actually, you could get away with the Ultima on everything but the Enzo is faster on straight aways and more challenging to drive.

They really dropped the ball. I loved how in PGR2, you had to buy and race cars from different classes to progress. They completely took that element out of the game and every challenge is too similar to the last and you race the same cars over and over again.

I still love the game and it is the one X360 game I come back to everyday.
Old 01-06-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
I own a bunch of cars but you really need to own 2 to win the game.

For cone/overtake the Ultima
For speed/races/drift the Enzo Ferrari

Actually, you could get away with the Ultima on everything but the Enzo is faster on straight aways and more challenging to drive.

They really dropped the ball. I loved how in PGR2, you had to buy and race cars from different classes to progress. They completely took that element out of the game and every challenge is too similar to the last and you race the same cars over and over again.

I still love the game and it is the one X360 game I come back to everyday.
As someone who has never had a console more advanced than the Atari VGS, I appreciate the relative ease of which I'm able to progress through the game. When I played my kids' N64 or Playstation, I was frustrated by my inability to make sufficient progress to unlock cars and/or tracks.

I've made it all the way through PGR3 winning Bronze medals, now I'm working my way to earn silvers. Racing online is a blast, even though I stink.

As for the Enzo, it is too much car for all of the racers I've raced against. They can hardly keep the car going straight. But unfortunately straight enough to beat me.

What I want to know is how come my car is always the slowest? I can be in a race with 7 others all using the same car, but mine is always slower in acceleration and seems to have a lower top speed.
Old 01-06-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
As someone who has never had a console more advanced than the Atari VGS, I appreciate the relative ease of which I'm able to progress through the game. When I played my kids' N64 or Playstation, I was frustrated by my inability to make sufficient progress to unlock cars and/or tracks.

I've made it all the way through PGR3 winning Bronze medals, now I'm working my way to earn silvers. Racing online is a blast, even though I stink.

As for the Enzo, it is too much car for all of the racers I've raced against. They can hardly keep the car going straight. But unfortunately straight enough to beat me.

What I want to know is how come my car is always the slowest? I can be in a race with 7 others all using the same car, but mine is always slower in acceleration and seems to have a lower top speed.
I can't speak specifically for PGR3, but it might have something to do with how you come out of the turns. If somebody in an identical car comes out of a turn at a higher speed than you, he'll always be at a higher speed than you because you'll both be accellerating. In fact, the distance between you would actually increase since the higher speeds will cover more ground than you, even though you're accellerating. Just something to consider
Old 01-06-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suck at this game too....I get my ass handed to my often. I still need to learn how to turn w/o hitting the wall
Old 01-06-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sdcrym
I can't speak specifically for PGR3, but it might have something to do with how you come out of the turns. If somebody in an identical car comes out of a turn at a higher speed than you, he'll always be at a higher speed than you because you'll both be accellerating. In fact, the distance between you would actually increase since the higher speeds will cover more ground than you, even though you're accellerating. Just something to consider
Yeah, I took that into account... but, if an identical car spins out and I pass it, he will actually catch up to me over a long stretch. Even if I'm full throttle and driving straight. It's just weird.
Old 01-06-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I suck at this game too....I get my ass handed to my often. I still need to learn how to turn w/o hitting the wall

This describes me too... and I've been a little scared to play online, with all the people complaining about people crashing into them. I can't help it, I suck! Isn't that what the recreational zone is for?
Old 01-06-06, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by fujishig
This describes me too... and I've been a little scared to play online, with all the people complaining about people crashing into them. I can't help it, I suck! Isn't that what the recreational zone is for?
Oh, as long as you aren't doing it on purpose, don't worry about it. The really good racers (I'm not one by a long shot) will be so far past you, you won't have a chance of taking them out anyway

EDIT: Man, do I get the award for being the oldest new member? Sheesh! I guess I never have much to say.
Old 01-06-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a bit intimidated at first too. Don't sweat it though. Just wait a split second to gun the gas and be the last into the first turn and you'll be okay. Unless you are in the top 100 drivers worldwide, you'll never catch up to the pack to worry about ramming them.

Trust me, I know.

Old 01-06-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
But what about when they lap me?
Old 01-06-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't played PGR3, but reading this thread...

I remember looking at my score vs. the high scores, and they WEREN'T CLOSE AT ALL!!! Usually the high scores were multiples of mine.

The high score guys must be odd wizards or something. They aren't really racing the way anyone would race, like they would stop in place and do donuts and some optimal place to rack up points then finish the round.

I wouldn't let those scores bother you.
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if they lap you and you slam them... serves' em right.... show offs!
DVD Talk Legend

Is Nurburbring still a track option?

I think I've been lapped at Nurburbring on a two lap race in PGR2.

Stupid Ford Focus.

I also hate being "that guy" that almost makes the finish line before the race times out.
Old 01-06-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I also hate being "that guy" that almost makes the finish line before the race times out.
If there were an Achievement for that, I'd be in League 1!
Old 01-06-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Is Nurburbring still a track option?

I also hate being "that guy" that almost makes the finish line before the race
times out.
Oh ,so you have raced against me before.

I think I may have finished 2 or 3 times only while racing online. I am usually slow enough that on the first trun when 3 Enzos smash into the anal racers I am clear of the carnage. The bad thing is, with 3 identical cars, how do you know who to try and avoid in the future?

EDIT: What is the proper way to handle idiots online? I mean if I am driving clean (but slow), and some idiot plows into me, should I leave negative feedback, or is that being too snobbish? I mean I understand stuff happens, but you can obviously tell a bad driver.

Last edited by jon-w9; 01-06-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-06-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lets make a list of all of us that have PGR3 and play it on Live so we can get some good races and help each other and what not. Ill start: ChiBearFan. Add me to your friend list if you want.
Old 01-06-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My Gamertag is in my sig. I only play 2x-3x a week.

I am usually slow enough that on the first trun when 3 Enzos smash into the anal racers I am clear of the carnage.

On the www.xbox.com forums there's some pretty good discussion on how to be a "nice" racer - don't get in the way of someone doing the racing line, etc. A lot of the good players seem to be following internal rules ("How could you not do that? They do that in real F1 racing!")

I've found the community to be pretty cool so far. Much less boneheaded than Halo 2.

I'm still trying to find a car I am comfortable in. So far the CCR is what I use but only because that's what I am used to.

What I wish was different is that they just gave you whatever award you earned on hot laps, etc. I hate trying for the bronze, then getting the silver, and never getting that time again.
Old 01-06-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
lets make a list of all of us that have PGR3 and play it on Live so we can get some good races and help each other and what not. Ill start: ChiBearFan. Add me to your friend list if you want.
Great idea! I'm BAGoomba. Feel free to add me too.
Old 01-06-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got PGR3 too, and I suck at it. lol

LiverAndOnions is the gamertag...add me if you wish.
Old 01-06-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How would one go about hving a set of races with just DVDtalkers? There is no "team" or anything like that. I guess we could just prefer each other to increase the odds of ending up together.

Secondly, I wish there were a way to race again with the same group, as opposed to exiting and having to come back each time.
Old 01-07-06, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

go to playtime and then play on xbox live and then create a race and invite your friends. most of the guys here that are big halo2 players that got a 360 have PGR3 so if you have any of them on your list like strangehate or MARTIN5 or me or Canis, etc they might join in a game if they know you're from here. i'll be on this sat night, the room in pgr holds 8 total so add me and be on sat night we'll get some racing in.
Old 01-07-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play all the time since I'm trying to beat the game on easy now.

You can add me too: the c0llector

My name is Green Smurf and I slam into walls too.
Old 01-07-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jon-w9
How would one go about hving a set of races with just DVDtalkers? There is no "team" or anything like that. I guess we could just prefer each other to increase the odds of ending up together.

Secondly, I wish there were a way to race again with the same group, as opposed to exiting and having to come back each time.
Not in online careeer - but if you go to Race on Xbox Live, then create a custom game, you can limit it to "Friends Only" and then invite people on your friends list.

I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. The pinball-off-the-walls turns have disappeared!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.