Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone playing Phantom Dust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone playing Phantom Dust?

Just curious if anyone has picked up this game. It's only 20$ and live playable and damn is it good. It is a collectible card game in the guise of real-time combat. You play real time matches with your arsenal (deck) of skills you have gotten in the single player game or by beating people online. It has tons of counters, defenses, offenses, etc. Awesome game so far and i haven't even touched the online play. There are like 300 abilities offline and another 40 available only by winning matches online.

So anyone else picked up this addiction?
Old 04-07-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to try it out really bad. I'll probably hit up my local non-chain game shop this weekend to give it a spin.
Old 04-07-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I want to try it out really bad. I'll probably hit up my local non-chain game shop this weekend to give it a spin.
Ewww, you mean Pixy and i like the same game Actually though when i started playing it i thought of you. It seemed like a game i could see you enjoying (assuming you like the "card" collecting bit). I also was scoping out the forums and a reasonably active community is slowly starting up to trade abilities, offer strategies, and run tournaments. Pretty cool stuff really.
Old 04-08-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, i found a pretty cool website that has some forums for the game and has some people organizing online tournaments and includes some betting on other forum member matches. Looks pretty cool and once i beat the single player game to unlock most of the skills i can start on the online only skills
Old 04-08-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
So how do the online matches work? If you win, do you get a card from your opponent, or do you just get one of the 40 online-only cards randomly?
Old 04-08-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
So how do the online matches work? If you win, do you get a card from your opponent, or do you just get one of the 40 online-only cards randomly?
Bear in mind i haven't played it online yet so this info is coming from forums and faqs. You can play a normal matches and after winning thirty (every thirty actually) you get one of the 40 rare online online skills. You can also play matches for ante where the winner of the match takes a random skill from the losers arsenal (which is essentially the deck). It should be lots of fun online after i beat the single player and unlock the first 300 skills so i can begin to make a better themed deck. Right now i'm kind of scrambling in the single player and have a kind of shitty deck.
Old 04-10-05, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made by the same people who did Panzer Dragoon Saga...quality workmanship here!
Old 04-13-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I will get it eventually... is there ever anyone online?
Old 04-13-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you like Phantom Dust you have to get "Dai Senryaku 7: Modern Military Tactics" $14.99 at Ebgames in April 15
Old 04-13-05, 10:21 PM

Dai Senryaku has been out for a few months, i think it was EB only but now Gametsop is carrying them
Old 04-13-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got DSVII but it was $20. Not at BB either so no $15 love....
Old 04-14-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trigger
I will get it eventually... is there ever anyone online?
To be honest i haven't played it online much at all, however i was able to do a quick match. Optimatch looking for a specific game (quick) i didn't find anything though. There is also a forum i highly recommend calld pdarena.com where the guy is organizing people into the 5 factions and running tournaments. With this people are exchanging friend invites and scheduling times to play together. Once i beat the single player game i'll be jumping into the tournament ring
Old 04-14-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
Made by the same people who did Panzer Dragoon Saga...
Old 04-14-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
DSVII's been getting some horrid reviews, right?

Is Phantom Dust limited to mall game stores or something? I haven't seen it at all at Best buy (which isn't too surprising) but I also haven't seen it at Fry's, which seems to carry most obscure games.

Edited:
Never mind, found it at (of all places) Toys R Us...

Last edited by fujishig; 04-15-05 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked this up last week, but didn't get around to playing with it until last night. It's going to take a little getting used to the controls, as I've got Halo Trigger finger going and I keep locking on and off targets too quick...but so far, this game is incredible. I can't say enough about the controls and concept. For $20, this sucker could be the "bang for your buck" buy of the year...
Old 04-20-05, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
I picked this up last week, but didn't get around to playing with it until last night. It's going to take a little getting used to the controls, as I've got Halo Trigger finger going and I keep locking on and off targets too quick...but so far, this game is incredible. I can't say enough about the controls and concept. For $20, this sucker could be the "bang for your buck" buy of the year...
Well i'm very excited to see someone else getting into the game. Perhaps later on we can meet up online to play some matches against one another. After 30 wins you get a rare xbox live only skill (for every 30 wins) so it would cool to get a group together to play one another and to trade skills.
Old 04-22-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I haven't played for too long yet -- offline only. Do you not have the ability to build a "deck" until you go offline or does that ability become available in single player as well?

I'm on the Peccatto level (highway/freia related). I don't have too much trouble taking out the first part of the boss with Spear/Bomb combos, but once I've done that, I have very little success hitting the second part and wind up getting killed pretty quickly by various boss combos -- rapid fire shot hits so quickly that it's hard to defend and you can only run so far.

Any tips?

I also picked up DSIV at EB today for 14.99. Read some good reviews earlier (oxm I think). For that price it should be interesting given my line of work.
Old 04-23-05, 12:17 AM

fyi Fry's does carry it.

by far my favorite game so far this year.

for all the info you need on Phantom Dust

go to www.xboxphreaker.com

Enjoy and see ya guys online.
Old 04-23-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by azeledge

for all the info you need on Phantom Dust

go to www.xboxphreaker.com
Great site. It also mentions a recent patch. I may connect tomorrow to pick it up (with my current setup it's a hassle since it means unplugging my pc and rebooting the stupid cable modem) -- does the patch affect the skills in the single player game or just online?
Old 04-23-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Great site. It also mentions a recent patch. I may connect tomorrow to pick it up (with my current setup it's a hassle since it means unplugging my pc and rebooting the stupid cable modem) -- does the patch affect the skills in the single player game or just online?
It affects skills both offline and online. It changes some and changes the descriptions on others to make the language more clear. Also, you will begin building your custom deck in either chapter 2 or 3... i forget which one but it is relatively soon. My only, absolutely only complaint about the game is that sometimes it is irritating running around talking to everyone to see the next person to unlock the series of quests.

Also, a tip it took me a while to figure out. If you replay missions in the simulator you get the credit reward again... this is helpful when saving up to buy new skills or junk.
Old 04-23-05, 02:05 AM

xmiyuz... your out of the clan...
Old 04-23-05, 07:49 AM

xmiyux.....ditto what Strange said.....remember you only work at a middle school.
Old 04-23-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*rofl* Sheesh guys, who else are you going to have to waste a full 8 sniper rounds and still not kill someone. I mean i speed up the rate that thing reloads on the board by using up the shots

But on topic: We ought to get a few people who are playing PD on at a scheduled time. We can play "quick" games online that don't require you to make an arsenal. You are just given an already pre-made one. This lets you play with rare skills you won't get till much later in the game, plus everyone is on a little more even footing.
Old 04-23-05, 06:59 PM

xmiyux let me know when you want to start playing the quick matches. I'm currently going through the single player game, and my friend and I have played, but so far, our arsenals suck.
Send me a friend request, and we can hook up at some point.

My Gamertag is: Billbofet
Old 04-24-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, i sent out a friend invite this afternoon to both Billbofet and Ronin317. I'll keep an eye out for you guys online to get some quick matches in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.