Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

City of Heroes Issue 4: PvP, Temp Powers, and Body Scalers, Oh My. (56K Warning!)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

City of Heroes Issue 4: PvP, Temp Powers, and Body Scalers, Oh My. (56K Warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 02:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LIVE 05/04/05 CoH Issue 4: PvP, Temp Powers, and Body Scalers, Oh My. (56K Warning!)

It's been available on the Test Server for a week. Should hit the regular servers in mid-April.

Temp Powers:

Flying JetPack:

Hover JetPack:

Arena Interface:

Weight Class Listing:

Body Sliders:

New Team Seek Function:

Some new costumes:

A teenage boy's fun with body scalers:

Evil Panda:

Last edited by Flay; 05-04-05 at 02:22 PM. Reason: title change
Old 05-02-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
It's been available on the Test Server for a week. Should hit the regular servers in mid-April...
Anybody still playing this game?

I've been playing WoW quite happily, but I was halfway curious about trying out the Arena. There's a lot of neat stuff there.

Then I made the mistake of browsing over to the CoH forums. I looked at the test server notes, and saw this in the upcoming changes:

Added 50% ToHit debuff to Super Speed and Super Leap. PvP/PvE
... among other things. That sort of change is exactly why I left in the first place.

Reading through the patch notes, how do you feel about the changes?
Old 05-03-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still playing.

As for the changes, it's to prevent the old jousting technique, I guess. I'd be surprised if it makes it to live for PvE. It will for PvP I'm sure.

Interestingly enough, there's a decent group of COH players who left for WoW and came back because they didn't like it.
Old 05-03-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Interestingly enough, there's a decent group of COH players who left for WoW and came back because they didn't like it.
I'm not surprised.

WoW has the fanbase consisting of howler monkeys and rabid howler monkeys (of both the fanboy and forum whiner variety). It also has very poor customer service and developer communication. It also has very poor (but improving) stability. The fact that people still play it is a testament to how gigantically fun the game is, because everything thing outside of the game is hellishly horrible.

CoH has a slightly better fan base, good customer service, great developer communication, and rock solid stability. I'd still be playing it if I thought it was headed in a good direction for me.
Old 05-03-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I feel like I've wasted my time building up my scrapper over the last few months. Sigh. Well, that may be $15 I save each month.
Old 05-03-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I gave up on this game after a month. Too repetitive for my tastes.
Old 05-04-05, 02:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Issue 4 finally goes live today. Here are the patch notes

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/updates.html

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Then I made the mistake of browsing over to the CoH forums. I looked at the test server notes, and saw this in the upcoming changes:

[Added 50% ToHit debuff to Super Speed and Super Leap. PvP/PvE]

... among other things. That sort of change is exactly why I left in the first place.

62 powers get improved in the patch and 13 get nerfed. The positive far outweighs the negative.

As for the SS/SJ change, I agree with it. And I use SJ for most of my toons. Those are travel powers, not combat powers.
Old 05-04-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flay
62 powers get improved in the patch and 13 get nerfed. The positive far outweighs the negative.
Are you basing this on your personal evaluation of the severity of each "buff" versus the severity of each "nerf", or are you just looking at the 62/13 number? I looked over that list, and nothing that could be considered a "buff" made up for the SS/SJ change to me, let alone some of the other (again IMO) fairly substantial "nerfs."

As for the SS/SJ change, I agree with it. And I use SJ for most of my toons. Those are travel powers, not combat powers.
Well I disagree with it. They're abilities every comic book character uses in combat. Merely saying they're "travel powers" doesn't address why so-called "travel powers" should be useless in combat. It doesn't fit the comic book theme of the game, and those powers never caused a problem in PvE (for nearly a year). If PvP was the concern, I don't see why they could have fixed them for PvP.

Just my two cents though. IMO, it's like looking at an old girlfriend who you really used to like, but who has gotten into trouble... it just makes me sad.

EDIT:

In fairness, I don't know where the 62/13 came from. I counted just the PvE changes, and I saw:
71 buffs
16 neutral things (positive changes made to makeup for negative changes they made, so those look like a wash)
13 nerfs

That's not counting the PvP changes.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 05-04-05 at 03:00 PM.