Reload this Page >

slim PS2 phasing out fat PS2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-23-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to get a 2nd PS2 since my girlfriend took my PS2 to play FFXI 24/7. (her PC sucks) So instead of upgrading her computer so I can get it back, I thought I'd just get another PS2. I have credit at Toys R Us and Gamerush, so I want to use those up, but when I stopped by they didn't have any. They said they will get a bunch in for black Friday, but only the slim PStwo.

I heard about heat and laser problems on the PStwo and thought I should get the fat one instead, and I may want to put a hard drive in it as well. But it doesn't seem anyone has any PS2s fat or slim right at this moment, and they seem to be only getting in the slims. Does anyone know if the fat ones are being permanently replaced by the slim version?

Also does the slim PStwo really have any problems or are those just a few cases? Maybe I will just pick up a used one from Gamestop or something.
Old 11-23-04, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The original PS2's are no longer being made. Slim PS2's are now in full production. Im sure some K-marts or other stores not big on videogames may still have some left.
Old 11-23-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-23-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't heard of any laser problems on the new PStwo. It does get hot, but it is designed to I'm sure. I've played it for six hours straight and had no problems with it overheating.

I'm going to pick up a vertical stand for it though now that they are out. That way no heat gets trapped under the PStwo.
Old 11-24-04, 02:24 AM

Where did you read about the heating/laser problems of the new ones?
Old 11-24-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
On a side note, any articles about whether or not Square is ticked that they newly designed PStwo has no room for a hard drive, effectively killing any future sales of the HDD plus FFXI? I know that they'll have some kind of adapter in Japan, and that Sony has stated that all the hardcore gamers that wanted a HDD already had an older PS2 anyway, but still, you'd think there'd be some reaction...

or the fact that the spacing of the new console makes the old multitap incompatible...

Never heard about laser problems, but there are some people that say that the newer model runs a little hot. Still no reports of any failures, I think most people are just wary after failures of both initial builds of PS1 and PS2 (I know a lot of people have original systems that haven't failed, but my first PS1 had the upside-down problem and my first PS2 has the disc read error problem).
Old 11-24-04, 10:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone heard if the swap trick works on these so you can play import games?
Old 11-24-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DRG
Has anyone heard if the swap trick works on these so you can play import games?
Yes.. last I checked though it involved some interesting (but easy) modding to get it working. However, that was more or less made more complicated than it should've been in order to use the swap disc to play stolen games. I haven't checked recently if a simpler method has been posted to be able to use for legal imports only. Since most PS2 "scene" sites only care about stealing games I'm not sure if they've bothered yet.
Old 11-25-04, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Since most PS2 "scene" sites only care about stealing games I'm not sure if they've bothered yet.
if "most" of the ps2 scene only care about stealing games, i have to say "all" of the xbox scene only cares about stealing games.
Old 11-26-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I'm getting rid of my old Playstation 2. I thought I would get the new slim model but 1. I hardly play PS2 games. 2. I've heard too much worry about overheating in the new models. 3. Although I never had any problems with my old PS2, I'm gonna wait unitl the "bugs" in the new one are found out.
Old 11-26-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I paid $14 for the vertical stand for my PStwo and that solved any heat issues. I played GTA and Rumble Roses for about 8 hours straight last night and at the end of playing the PStwo was only slightly warm.

Anyone worried about heat should definitely use the system vertical. The only time heat is an issue is when it gets trapped underneath the system when you use it horizontal.

If there are any bugs in the new model I haven't found them yet. I had no problem finding them in the first model.
Old 11-26-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I paid $14 for the vertical stand for my PStwo and that solved any heat issues. I played GTA and Rumble Roses for about 8 hours straight last night and at the end of playing the PStwo was only slightly warm.

Anyone worried about heat should definitely use the system vertical. The only time heat is an issue is when it gets trapped underneath the system when you use it horizontal.

If there are any bugs in the new model I haven't found them yet. I had no problem finding them in the first model.

1. I don't have a set up for vertical use.

2. I have no doubt they'll pop up for some within the 1st year. If I buy Sony games again it'll be a new generation system not a 1st. Granted, I never had any problems with my original PS2.