Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-02-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa. This comes out NEXT WEEK.
That caught me by surprise. Especially with Dawn of Souls coming out this week.

Since I loved the hell out of the original I am picking this up.
Hopefully the action-RPG element translates well to the GBA.
Old 12-02-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Card based battle system. Should be interesting.
Old 12-02-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was still action based like the PS2 game. I know the cards play a part in it, but I don't think it's an entirely card-based system. Hmm..
Old 12-02-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Can someone explain to an old fogey like me what a card-based system is?
Old 12-02-04, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I summon Minnie Mouse... in defense mode and end my turn....
Old 12-02-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Decker
Can someone explain to an old fogey like me what a card-based system is?
Specifics differ from game to game, but typically game flow is decided upon cards. For this game, you collect cards that allow you to create the worlds you visit, and allow you to use special movies in battle. Some games EVERYTHING you do is based on decks of cards, movement, attacks, etc. Pretty much most card-based games are strategy or RPG type games.
Old 12-02-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cant wait for this one, im really excited! I absolutely love the 1st one on PS2 and im eager to see what this GBA version adds to the story. Also, the cut scenes look awesome!
Old 12-02-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm gonna be picking this up on release day. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite PS2 game and I can't wait for part 2. This game is said to bridge the story between 1 and 2.
Old 12-02-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking forward to this. The card system adds a little strategy to the game, so it should be fun and challenging. I'll be picking this up next week along with KOTOR 2.
Old 12-02-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why do so many games use card systems? Is it just to capitalize on the Pokemon craze? Because as a concept it's extremely unintuitive and inorganic--some weird game-within-a-game metastructure where you're playing a character who's playing a game. I caught a few minutes of some card-game show on TV the other day, and in it some pointy-haired kid got cornered by a monster, but instead of fighting it, he took out a deck of cards and excitedly recited some statistics while epilepsy-inducing colors flashed in the background. Honestly, it was about as exciting as watching someone file their taxes. I'm sure this is nothing new to many of you, but it's the first time I'd seen it... Made me glad I grew up when I did. Even Masters of the Universe was better than this.
Old 12-02-04, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Pokemon? That's so 5 years ago. Its all about Duel Masters and Yu-Gi-Oh now. And what, you don't remember Magic the Gathering? What about Dungeons and Dragons?
Old 12-03-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
From what Ive been reading the card system owes more to Baten Kaitos than any other game (ie Yu-Gi-Oh and such). It's still action based but I'd really need to play it to understand how they work together. I did read that the opening movie is one of the best ever seen on a GBA game.
Old 12-06-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Best Buy for $24.99 and Target for $27.99.
Old 12-06-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Looks like Best Buy for $24.99 and Target for $27.99.
That certainly beats the prices Gamestop and Ebgames have so far on thier websites, $39.99 and $34.99, whats up with that?
Old 12-08-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2D Yuffie, here I come.
Old 12-08-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, nevermind. Looks like Best Buy and Target won't be getting it until tomorrow.

In the meantime:

Mmm, mmm.
Old 12-08-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked this up a little bit ago... lemme say... this friggin RULES

Visual and audio-wise, it meets (and to some standard exceeds) anything Square did on the PS1. The card battle system takes a little getting used to, but there's a good in-game tutorial at the beginning.

More later. Having too much fun.
Old 12-08-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Thanks, wildcat. I'm glad that it turned out so well, that's great to hear. And isn't that Pixy praising a character from The Worst Game He Ever Played?

Anyway, to get this for $20 a/c at BB makes this the biggest no-brainer bargain purchase of the year (or at least 2nd, after Katamari Damaci).
Old 12-09-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Yeah, this game rocks. I picked it up along with KOTOR2 last night. Lets just say that KOTOR is still in its wrapping. I've put about 3 hours into it so far. The card system does take a while to get used to, but the battles are pretty forgiving, so it's not too hard to play. The opening movie is better than any 3D graphics on PS1 easily.
Old 12-09-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got my 2 copies for $19.99 a pop at Best Buy with gift cards. Damn it was so busy, they only had 2 copies left (whew) and the lines were so long I got back from lunch late. Oh well.. can't wait to try it out.
Old 12-10-04, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After spending about almost 3hrs with the game i have to say i dont like what im seeing so far and thus far pretty dissapointed. I dont care for this card battle system at all. It feels completely hokey to me and extemely messy. I love the PS2 game and its one of my favs but even as a big fan i think this one feels odd and out of sync. The story so far is complete nonsense, i know the story for the PS2 game wasnt exactly a gem either but still was quite interesting. I really hope do hope it gets better but i dont usually feel so out of touch so early in the game unless it sucks, and as much as i love KH, this game so far isnt doing anything for me.
Old 12-10-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thegame370
After spending about almost 3hrs with the game i have to say i dont like what im seeing so far and thus far pretty dissapointed. I dont care for this card battle system at all. It feels completely hokey to me and extemely messy. I love the PS2 game and its one of my favs but even as a big fan i think this one feels odd and out of sync. The story so far is complete nonsense, i know the story for the PS2 game wasnt exactly a gem either but still was quite interesting. I really hope do hope it gets better but i dont usually feel so out of touch so early in the game unless it sucks, and as much as i love KH, this game so far isnt doing anything for me.
I'm feeling the same way.

The card system just sucks. Unless it's one of the boss battles, you really don't have time to be scrolling through cards to pick out the right combo when you have 3-4 enemies on screen with you. It ends up turning into a button masher pretty quickly. I would have preferred a standard platformer or RPG instead.
Old 12-10-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
As I said in my post above, I am really enjoying this game. However, I would probably like it more if they turned the battles to turn-based like the FF games.