Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Warhammer : Dawn Of War (PC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warhammer : Dawn Of War (PC)

So like, nobody cares about this title? It comes out next week.

I played the demo from Gamespot.com and it was pretty sweet, although frustrating as after I played the first level of the campaign and the 2 skirmishes I wanted more. Loved how you could customize your teams color scheme as if you were painting the tabletop miniatures themselves. My system is barely under the required specs, but it ran okay, a little slow when big battles occured, but not enough to be frustrating. I don't know if I should chance picking up the full version and it runs really slow on even bigger battles. I'll wait to see what the reviews say about it either way before picking it up.

Anyone hear good/bad things about it?
Old 09-14-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Looks like this may be the first good Warhammer game.

I used to play with little men years ago, so I'm eager to give it a try.
Old 09-14-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the demo was pretty sweet. It was kind of a tease. I really wanted to play it more. I like how they handle the resource management with the capture points allowing you to build more units. Looks like a good game. I'm going to eventually get it, but it comes out the same day as Rome: Total War, which I'm definitely getting.
Old 11-08-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is a very good game I think - the only drawback (as I understand it) is that the Campaign game only has 11 missions, all Human. I am midway through the Campaign and it seems pretty easy on normal difficulty (it almost seems like a tutorial). The squad idea is great, with being able to reinforce and customize weapons and squad leaders in battle. Special units can also be attached to squads, which increase their effectiveness too. The strategy points and critical points are also a welcome change - requisition resources being tied to important points on the map is a welcome change to having to search for resources of other games. Because the units are squad based, it feels a bit more strategy than tossing a bunch of units together and throwing them at the enemy. The pitched battles are awesome - in one scenario there was one strategic point that was constantly under siege. Unit morale was a cool addition because they would call for regrouping, before the squad broke. It was fun to reconstruct the squad and send it back into battle for vengeance. Combined arms fire dramatically increases overall effectiveness as well - using tanks to shield the infantry from enemy fire as the squads leapfrogged from cover to cover was fun too. Some of the signature quotes when you click on units (as in Starcraft) got tiresome but at least each unit has a few different ones. Oh yeah, they blow stuff up good... real good...