Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Played any good boardgames lately?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Played any good boardgames lately?

Old 08-05-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I had some Heroquest expansions once I got on clearance. I sold them on ebay for some decent change.

Has anybody played the Civilization board game? My wife's a big Civ fan on the computer and I wonder if she would like it.
Old 08-05-04, 07:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When Darkness Comes also looks good but it is 3 players minimum and too often it is just my wife and i playing - that is why i haven't picked up Settlers of Catan or Puerto Rico yet. I do like Twilight Creations though, especially their Zombies!!! line of games.
I think WDC is best when played w/ 3 or more people but there are ways of playing it w/ fewer (even solo if you really want to sit around and roll dice by yourself ).

BTW the card game of Settlers does a decent job of recreating some of the flavor of the actual game. Of course it's nowhere as good. If you like the Starfairers of Catan the Spaceship Catan game (again a 2 player version) is actually better IMHO. There is also a 2 player card game of Puerto Rico called San Juan. I have it and it looks ok but haven't tried it yet though so I can't comment further
Old 08-05-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nemein
I think WDC is best when played w/ 3 or more people but there are ways of playing it w/ fewer (even solo if you really want to sit around and roll dice by yourself ).

BTW the card game of Settlers does a decent job of recreating some of the flavor of the actual game. Of course it's nowhere as good. If you like the Starfairers of Catan the Spaceship Catan game (again a 2 player version) is actually better IMHO. There is also a 2 player card game of Puerto Rico called San Juan. I have it and it looks ok but haven't tried it yet though so I can't comment further
I actually just emailed a guy on BGG about trading him a game for his copy of Starfarers because it has gotten such good reviews for a two player game.

With just two people however the games we play the most are: Hera and Zeus, Blue Moon, Carcassonne, Tikal, and Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings is particularly good because you play it cooperatively with all players on the same side - in essence trying to beat the game. That and the players frequently lose so it gives the feel of really struggling to destroy the ring.
Old 08-05-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by milo bloom
Has anybody played the Civilization board game? My wife's a big Civ fan on the computer and I wonder if she would like it.
I haven't played it but BGG has some pretty complete reviews and session reports on it to give you an idea about it: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3633
Also, i know i have mentioned fairplaygames before in this thread but i am super impressed with their service and prices, plus on this game they are selling it 20$ below retail. http://www.fairplaygames.com/gamedisplay.asp?gameid=426

Also, young, it suprises me that i haven't seen some of these games translated to something like xbox live since it seems like it would greatly increase sales of the physical games as well. Personally i'd love to have Cosmic Encounter exactly like it is online already except on Live. I think it would interest some older gamers since it is slower turn-based and the game has been popular since it was released in the 70's.

Last edited by xmiyux; 08-05-04 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-05-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux
I've looked around the site before and ran into 2 problems. First off i have never played settlers so i would need to find all the rules online as well and secondly the site is so ridiculously complicated and cumbersome to figure out. I assume it is because most of it is in german but i couldn't puzzle any of it out.
That second site I listed (the .info one) has all the instructions and information translated into English.
Old 08-08-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by xmiyux

Also, young, it suprises me that i haven't seen some of these games translated to something like xbox live since it seems like it would greatly increase sales of the physical games as well. Personally i'd love to have Cosmic Encounter exactly like it is online already except on Live. I think it would interest some older gamers since it is slower turn-based and the game has been popular since it was released in the 70's.
well, all this nostalgia made me do some research. it looks like Games Workshop doesn't even make some of the old games. i also had a bunch of Avalon Hill games, but forgot which ones.

there is a local Compleat Strategist that i stopped by (it's about a mile away from my house) but they were so packed w/ people playing games that it was hard to browse the shelves. i was kind of suprised to see so many people playing games. maybe it was just me that stopped?

who do i have to contact to buy the rights to these games and who wants to do the programming?
Old 08-08-04, 11:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

What about good old AD & D?
Old 08-08-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by young
who do i have to contact to buy the rights to these games and who wants to do the programming?
If you were curious about rights i would talk to a couple of the people who do the sites online where you can play these games - in particular cosmicencounter.com because they charge for accounts so they have to have gotten rights from someone.

As for AD&D i still play it when my friend from high school comes back into town which is basically every 6 months or so. It's just so difficult now that we all have families to get together for the hours upon hours needed for rpgs. However it is easier to squeeze in a 2 hour board game here and there.
Old 08-08-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
As long as we're going the D&D route, I have to show some love for Magic:The Gathering. I play Friday Night Magic at a local JR college and have a lot of fun. The advisor is a computer professor at the school, and his son and daughter both play (his daughter was the first in the family to play). Yes there's a lot of smelly nerds there in Star Wars t-shirts , but it's a fun and challenging game.
Old 08-08-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by milo bloom
As long as we're going the D&D route, I have to show some love for Magic:The Gathering. I play Friday Night Magic at a local JR college and have a lot of fun. The advisor is a computer professor at the school, and his son and daughter both play (his daughter was the first in the family to play). Yes there's a lot of smelly nerds there in Star Wars t-shirts , but it's a fun and challenging game.
Magic consumed a good two years of my life in college. It also consumed much of the money i made those two years. It is what is single-handedly responsible for me refusing to get into any sort of collectible game. I actually had to quit cold turkey by giving all my cards away (6 full binders at the time) to someone. Oh, how i miss my Stormseeker deck