Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any Ys fans out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Ys fans out there?

I just got the new Ys I+II Complete and Ys VI for PC and I've unearthed my old love for this series.

I've played Ys I+II probably 30 times, and yet again, this new version blows me away. It's amazing how fnu these games still are, no matter how many times I've gone through them.

Of course.. now that I've had a chance to play this.. my hatred for Sony increases ever more. In case you had not heard (I couldn't find the thread as you can't search for "Ys" on this board), Sony denied rights to an english version of Ys I+II for the PS2, which is a port of the newest PC version with some more extras (voice acting I think was the biggest addition)..

But anyway.. I did hear Konami picked up US rights to the entire series.. hopefully we'll see this new version on Gamecube or Xbox, since it's not good enough for the PS2.

Just wondering if there's any fans on this board? I know I've loved the series since I got my Turbo Grafx CD (Ys I+II came with it!!) and Wanderer's From Ys on the SNES.
Old 12-17-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I loved the Y's on the Genesis and Master System. Great fun. Those along with Phantasy Star are my all time favorites in that genre (although KOTOR is right up there).
Old 12-17-03, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutley! I also plunked down the $400 for the TurboGrafx CD unit. And Ys 1&2!

I have a horrible memory, but I will never forget how much I loved those games. They even had voice!!!

So whats the deal with the PC versions that you mention Pixy? I've not heard anything about them.
Old 12-17-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The PC version was released a year or two ago in Japan.. there is an English fan-translation available too!!

Just imagine the best 2D graphics ever, new mixes and recordings of all the music.. new side quests and items, difficulty levels (Easy, Normal, Hard, Nightmare), Time Attack mode, extra "collectibles" for completing certain tasks.. new little animations of certain scenes in the game (like visiting Roda Tree the first time), you get to actually carry Feena with you back to town when you find her in Solomon Shrine.. just so much cool little stuff, but in the end, at the core, it's the same game!!

The PS2 version was released after that, and it was the same except they added voice back into the game.. maybe some other little stuff but I can't remember. Falcom wanted to release an English version but Sony denied them the license.
Old 12-17-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can you post a link to the fan translaction site? I have the anime Y's on dvd but I can't recall seeing the game and I'd like to find it on pc.
Old 12-17-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember playing through a Ys game when the Master System days since it was one of the few RPG's out for the system.

Sounds like I will need to revisit the series.
Old 12-17-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way.. it's Ys, not Y's.. Ys is a place in the game.

I'll post the link when I get home..

Yeah.. I think Ys for Master System was based on the Famicom (NES) version, which had a few changes to it.. can't remember.. it's really too bad Ys II was never made for the Master System though, back then the only way (and the only way now "officially") to play Ys I & II was the expensive Turbo CD/Duo. There was later versions released on the Saturn, and up until Eternal/Complete was released, was the best version.

Ys III Wanderers From Ys was release in English on all 3 systems, Super NES, Sega Genesis, and Turbo CD/Duo.

There are 2 versions of Ys IV, one for the PCE (Turbo CD/Duo in Japan) and one for Super Famicom.. similar story, totally different games. Translation exsists for the Super Fami one, one is being worked on for the PCE version.

Ys V only released on Super Famicom, later rereleased as Ys V Expert.. translation being worked on as well. This is the first one to go into the more Zelda style combat (as opposed to just walking into monsters)..

Ys VI only on PC right now. Will probably go to PS2 and Sony will give US fans the middle finger again.
Old 12-17-03, 11:25 AM

I'm pissed Sony denied release here, but with Konami snagging the new ones license, the possibility of the originals coming over is higher now I would think.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim Trailer

Old 12-17-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gal, I have Ys VI on PC.. I haven't played it yet as I'm hooked on Ys I+II but the girl that gave it to me showed it off and it is freakin' amazing!!! Imagine the art and style of Ys, with the gameplay of a super-fast, action overdosed Zelda or Secret of Mana..

It also came with Ys Complete Works.. Ys I-V on one CD in thier original form on PC.. all in Japanese of course.. but WOW!!
Old 12-17-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ys series is ROCK and it does alot damage to FF series if Ys series did release in the US.

As for myself I really wanted Ys series over FF series
Old 12-17-03, 12:26 PM

I'm a big big fan of Ys. I got Ys I & II Eternal and Ys VI on DVD. I can't wa it for the new Legend of Heroes coming out next year!
Old 12-17-03, 01:22 PM
Suspended

It's hard for me to be a fan of something that isn't available in a format that I can purchase and understand.
Old 12-17-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by trigun
It's hard for me to be a fan of something that isn't available in a format that I can purchase and understand.
Ys I-III have been available in English (I assume this is what you meant by being able to understand) on formats that can be purchased since the late 80's. The series has appeared in English on PC, Master System, Turbo Grafx, Genesis, and Super Nintendo.
Old 12-17-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other games by Nihon Falcom released in English:

Legacy of the Wizard aka Dragon Slayer IV (NES)
Faxanadu (NES)
Tombs and Treasures (NES)
Sorcerian (PC)
Popful Mail (Sega CD)
Old 12-17-03, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Popful Mail (Sega CD)
That has got to be one of the weirdest videogame titles ever. Does it make any more sense if you play the game?
Old 12-17-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
That has got to be one of the weirdest videogame titles ever. Does it make any more sense if you play the game?
Other than the main characters name being Mail.. I don't think so..
Old 12-17-03, 03:09 PM

Ys IV for the US!!

I love the series. My first was actually Ys III on the SNEs believe it or not, which was the atypical in style for the series and even still I enjoyed it, but I went back and played the others and liked those too.
Old 12-17-03, 05:15 PM

Pixy or anyone else:

How can I get a legit copy of any of the PC titles mentioned in this thread? I'm not into buying bootlegs.

I'd be all about picking up just about any version of Ys that I can get my hands on.
Old 12-17-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found the best way to play it is to buy the TurboDuo CD of the game and then play it on my pc via an emulator (saves buying a turboduo that I would never use for anything else). It was about $30 on ebay I think and there are a fair few copies in circulation because it came with the console.

I've also played the Sega mastersystem version (both the cart and emulated) which although it's only Ys 1, it is almost better because the game is tweaked to be a lot harder. The TG version is a walk in the park in comparison, or at least the 1st part is.

Forgot to mention all the above versions are available in english.

Last edited by Chris_D; 12-17-03 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fodder1976
Pixy or anyone else:

How can I get a legit copy of any of the PC titles mentioned in this thread? I'm not into buying bootlegs.

I'd be all about picking up just about any version of Ys that I can get my hands on.
http://shop.himeya.com/

Enjoy!
Old 12-18-03, 12:36 PM

Hey Pixy,

I checked out that link. The only three they have listed are Ys 1, Ys 2 and the new one. Is there not a combo Ys 1&2?

These are a little pricy, $70 for each of the first two and $100 for the new one.. ouch! Is that what you paid for all of them? What was shipping?

I noticed listings for both the PC and PS2 versions of the new Y's on game rankings. Not that they are official or anything, but I thought this may be a sign that the game is in fact coming to the states?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/918567.asp
Old 12-18-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fodder1976
Hey Pixy,

I checked out that link. The only three they have listed are Ys 1, Ys 2 and the new one. Is there not a combo Ys 1&2?

These are a little pricy, $70 for each of the first two and $100 for the new one.. ouch! Is that what you paid for all of them? What was shipping?

I noticed listings for both the PC and PS2 versions of the new Y's on game rankings. Not that they are official or anything, but I thought this may be a sign that the game is in fact coming to the states?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/918567.asp
Well there WAS a combo pack.. but it was a limited edition. I've heard it sells for a sick amount on Yahoo auctions every once in a while when it pops up.

I'd really like to see them come out here. I would actually buy a PS2 if they made an English release.
Old 12-18-03, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Other than the main characters name being Mail.. I don't think so..
What a weird title. I found some lyrics to the end song online:

With the courage, resolve,
and love within your heart.
You will be anything you dream.
Um hmmmm....

It's the start of the end, and only you can see,
all that you will be...
go take the chance.

All you can dream, in your grasp.
But the true choice, lies with you.
There's only one, only one that can see
what you dreamed, make it all
come true.

Popful mail, Popful mail...
La la la la la.
Old 12-18-03, 01:46 PM

AFAIK, you can get the PS2 version from www.ncsx.com still.

Limited Edition
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPS-25205.html

Regular Edition
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPS-25206.html

Also, here's some advice. It's slightly cheaper to get Falcom Nihon games direct from Falcom.

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/howto/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and there's English intructions on how to order from abroad.
Old 12-18-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kaiyouske
AFAIK, you can get the PS2 version from www.ncsx.com still.

Limited Edition
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPS-25205.html

Regular Edition
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPS-25206.html

Also, here's some advice. It's slightly cheaper to get Falcom Nihon games direct from Falcom.

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/howto/index.html

Scroll to the bottom and there's English intructions on how to order from abroad.
Thanks!!

I really want the PS2 version.. is there a way I can play it on a US PS2?

I would be your best friend forever if you knew where I could still get a copy of the Limited Ys Complete I&II Book set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.