Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sword of Mana...anyone pick it up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sword of Mana...anyone pick it up?

Comes out this week. $20 at BB with the coupon.

After reading Gamespy's less-than-stellar review, i'm hesitant to buy it. It doesn't sound as if they've improved the battle system over Secret of Evermore; in fact, it appears that they've eliminated many of the good aspects of that game (ring menu, magic system). Also, the AI surrounding the partners doesn't sound promising. Gamespy seems like one of the few videogame mags that can generate reviews that aren't just complete fluff pieces.

Nintendo Power had their usual glowing review that failed to really list any of the game's flaws. I don't even know why i bother reading ther reviews, the last time i actually bought an issue (1993) they said a game was "fun" in a review as a plus. right, not like i want to buy a boring game, but seriously now.

Overall, i've been extremely disappointed with recent GBA releases. Fire Emblem was just another Shining Force game with waaaaaay too much in the way of dialogue and "story". Same goes for FFTA, only the bizarre law system drove me mad. Mario and Luigi was a great game, probably the best GBA game to come out all year, but it was surprisingly short and some parts were pretty boring. Boktai was a great concept but i didn't really find playing the game to be entertaining, even with the novelty of the sun sensor. Super Mario Advance was great, but i've played SMB3 tons already. Ugh.
Old 12-02-03, 08:24 AM

I get Nintendo Power, but I definitely don't get it for the reviews...anyway, i was thinking about this game, and I'm going to wait for more reviews to come in.
Old 12-02-03, 06:38 PM

I was going to buy it this week until I read about the equipment upgrades. Apparently you can't buy your equipment, you have to make it. That killed any chance of me getting the game. I dislike having to make things to progress, it's partially the reason I haven't picked up Dark Cloud 2 yet, and it was what killed my enjoyment of Vagrant Story.
Old 12-02-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After playing about 1 hour of it i am not pleased. There are a number of serious flaws with the game that severely hamper gameplay:

It takes forever to switch weapons and even to use items - you have to go into the pause menu every single time.

Your computer-controller characters are weak and stupid. You have to constantly heal them and watch out for them. They provide little to no real help and are only a burden.

The combat is still just as awkward as previous Mana games. Something about the battle system just seems "off" and it's nowhere near as refined as Zelda.

The magic system is really pretty useless.

Lastly, there's too much dialogue and storyline, none of which is really captivating.

Overall, Sword of Mana is a big disappointment. I find the original version to be much better. It appears as though Square or whoever developed it poured all their energy into the game's graphics and sound, which are outstanding BTW, and didn't put any of it into refining the gameplay.
Old 12-03-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree...the gameplay sucks. After playing FFTA I thought for sure this was going to be another great game from Square for the GBA. Nice job on the graphics and sound but that's about it. I don't think Square was fully responsible for this one, though...the Developer was Brownie Brown.

What I find amusing is the review from Nintendo Power .
Old 12-03-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
oh man that sucks. Is it really that bad?
Old 12-03-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Guess I'm skipping this one.
Old 12-03-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tanman
oh man that sucks. Is it really that bad?
If you're a fan, i suggest you pick it up, but only if you absolutely love the Mana series. It's worse than Secret of Mana and Evermore, however. And it's definitely no Zelda.
Old 12-04-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I love the Mana series so much.. it hurts to hear these things.. espically the part about "there's too much dialogue and storyline", I mean do the Japanese people not have any friends? Why are "games" that have this "feature" so popular over there? Don't they have books or movies?

Old 12-04-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really wanted this game since SNES version but i'll try it anywayz "for $19.49 with BB coupon at CC"