Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Voodoo Vince -- great stuff!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-29-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Partway through the second area - Roachfort. So far, it's taking me longer than I had expected from the reviews -- a good thing. Looks like it'll be considerably longer than 10 hours play time for me.

The demo really gives a pretty good picture of what the rest of the game is like -- except it's about the easiest real level in the game (so far anyways). If you were turned off by the demo - too easy, no challenge, etc. - you owe this one a rental at least. It gets a lot more challenging pretty quickly.

Plays really smoothly, the camera isn't giving me any hassles right now and is easy to control. A few frustrating moments here and there, but i just needed to watch what was going on a little more carefully and get my timing right. Not so bad after that.

The graphics aren't phenomenal, but it's a really funky feeling -- almost Tim Burton meets Grim Fandango or something along those lines. Very fitting and colorful.

Audio as mentioned elsewhere is incredible -- definitely one of the most fitting/overall excellent game soundtracks next to the JGR/JSRF OST. Worth picking up on CD if they ever release it.

Lots of fun, original ideas, nice innovation. At this early stage, I'd give it at least 8/10. Need to play more though.

Some nice vid. demos on the disk as well -- Grabbed by Ghoulies, True Fantasy Live Online (I need this game!), etc.
Old 09-29-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Yeah, I just spent pretty much the entire evening playing. I'm not sure where I am percentage-wise in the game, but I just entered the mansion.

This is definitely the best platformer I've played on the XBox, not that it has a lot of competition. Aside from what you've noted, the puzzles are implemented really well. They strike that great balance so that they're not stupidly obvious as was the case with Blinx's earlier levels, but not easily overlooked like the annoying Buffy: Chaos Bleeds or overly cryptic. Some exploration of the level and a bit of thought is really all it takes, although I've been a little slow to catch on at times. I also like the way that the bosses are puzzles themselves, although a lot of the platformer aspects are still there (hopping around, working around the boss' patterns, etc.). The level of difficulty is close to perfect; this isn't the sort of game I can pop in and breeze through, but the more challenging parts are, with one exception, never annoying or frustrating. I have to admit that the Frogger-ish hopping parts on the Propellor stage drove me nuts. It seriously took me like 45 minutes <small>(I may be exaggerating, but probably not)</small> to get the hang of it.
Old 09-29-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really have to try the demo out, from what I've read so far this is a good game.
Old 09-30-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it has to be compared to another game then it would have to be compared to Conkers Bad Fur Day... The gameplay is so similar that it's eerie (except for the characters of course) i've killed like the 6th boss just now and i just rented it last night This game rules and i can't bring myself to put it down... Realized i needed a break when my hands hurt from the xbox controller. Best platform ever imo right up there with CBFD

It's a shame that Rare is just porting Conkers to xbox when there's a company making such a great game that is going to blow away the remake.
Old 09-30-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ctyner
I have to admit that the Frogger-ish hopping parts on the Propellor stage drove me nuts. It seriously took me like 45 minutes <small>(I may be exaggerating, but probably not)</small> to get the hang of it.
Oh my god i freakin hated that part... so i went back to stage 1 and stage 2 and got some hearts so that i wouldn't have to start over again.. If you take the train to the first stage, right on the right is a heart... take the train to stage 2 and right outside the door on the platform the left is another one... get a few one-ups so that at least you don't have to start over again from the beginning.. I got like 12 lives and then wouldn't you know it, did it the first time
Old 10-01-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Well, I'm riding Vermin now and for some reason, after all those other games where I tried to dodge stuff and always got hit, I can't for the life of me get hit by a rock ;p

This is turning out really nicely. Love the music, and some levels are just pretty cool. The zombie keepaway thing was really nifty. There were so many imps that it was a breeze keeping my beads full -- have all 4 (max? at this point) skulls. Just wait till they pile up then use your voodoo -- collect beads, wash, rinse, repeat.

Playing this has got me thinking of blinx again -- not sure why -- maybe the MS/plaformer connection. I need to play it all the way through (nice and cheap now) -- but a sequel to blinx could be really cool IMO if they could go the way of Mario 64 as far as *large* levels with lots of space and multiple objectives and the like -- blinx was just too slow and too crowded. Large open areas with constantly repeating events -- ie. rock slides to be paused, waterfalls/rivers to reverse, etc would be really neat.

ah well.