Reload this Page >

Mario Kart: Double Dash for Gamecube

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario Kart: Double Dash for Gamecube

Old 09-09-03, 02:10 PM
lurkr4vr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From www.gameinformer.com

"....for those who pre-order a copy of Mario Kart: Double Dash, will be a demo disc packed full of playable demos of upcoming Nintendo GameCube titles. The offer is effectively immediately at selected retailers. "

No mention of the Mario Kart 64 included game.
Old 09-09-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.. the demo disc is available now.. is that what effective immediately means?
Old 09-09-03, 02:22 PM
lurkr4vr

Not sure. It could mean that the a) offer is effective immediately with demo disc shipped in the future or b) the demo disc is available effective immediately. The article didn't elaborate.
Old 09-09-03, 02:26 PM
Retired

Re: Re: New Video

Originally posted by Trigger
[B]
As for Mario Kart... zzZZzzZZ *snore*... I never got what people see in this series. All anyone can offer is - 'it's great!11!!1' But that doesn't really explain it. B]
Different strokes for different folks. I like the Mario Kart games because I have fun playing them.

I don't feel a need to explain it more than that because I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about games.

If you don't like them, what's it to me?
Old 09-09-03, 04:57 PM
lurkr4vr

Re: Re: Re: New Video

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Different strokes for different folks. I like the Mario Kart games because I have fun playing them.

I don't feel a need to explain it more than that because I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about games.

If you don't like them, what's it to me?
Right on Josh. GAmes are like movies or books, different strokes for different folks.

Me, it brings back memories of college where we'd play all night, or skip class, or blow off finals ... yup ... me .... to play super mario kart.
Old 09-21-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This past week Nintendo held a "Gamer's Summit" for the media in San Fran. Here are some updated impressions from a newer build of Mario Kart Double Dash:

Gamespot:
In terms of graphics, Double Dash!! looks even sharper than it did the last time we saw it. The biggest improvements seem to be in the game's new special effects, which are used for power-ups and are used in the environments around the tracks, plus the excellent sense of speed the game now conveys.

Based on what we've seen so far, the game seems to be coming together nicely. The improvements made to the graphics since the last time we saw it, along with the assorted game modes, should help make the game quite a solid package when it's finally done.
IGN:
This is Mario Kart as it should be. Now that Nintendo has properly addressed the speed issues and given us a glimpse into the extra modes, we can say confidently that this will probably be one of the best GameCube titles of this holiday season.
Game Informer
Overall, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! is really shaping up nicely. With so many different multiplayer modes and LAN connectivity, this could be the ultimate party game. The dual player element is a fantastic addition, but even though you have two racers in one kart it still plays and feels like Mario Kart – and that’s what truly matters.
Old 09-21-03, 02:03 PM

anyone know if you will be able to play battle mode with computer drivers? 4 player battle mode would be nice even if you don't have 4 people playing
Old 09-22-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Holy crap, LAN play supports 16 players. I probably won't be playing with 16, but I know me and my friends are all over linking our Gamecubes for some 8 player. It sounds like they're almost done with the game too. IGN seems to be a lot more postive about it too, I was slightly worried from their previous impressions, but the latest build of this game seemed to put away any concerns they had.
Old 10-05-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The official site has finally been updated with new video footage, screenshots and artwork:

MarioKart.com

Old 10-05-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm excited about the LAN play, but I'm wondering if Nintendo will rerelease the LAN adapapter in store (hopefully at a lower price tag) or will I have to buy Online.
Old 10-16-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a cool new trailer/commercial video. Right click and save to your HD...

Small (4.5Mb)

Large (19.5Mb)

Old 10-16-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know what the best preorder deal is for Mario Kart?
Old 10-19-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm having problems playing those movies, my quicktime gets an error everytime I try to play it, anyone get it to play or have a different link?
Old 10-21-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some more glowing hands-on impressions. This time from Computer and Videogames. Here are some quotes from the article:
...there's something you need to know: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, in it's completed form, is completely amazing....

We've been quivering wrecks ever since Nintendo swooped on our offices with the final PAL build of Mario Kart GC. Terrified to the point of sickness we wouldn't like the game, the waves of relief which swept over us after extended play were an even greater thrill than when we saw the original line-up of Bananarama reform for one night only last year. Yes, that good.

Although there's a tendency to have a rose-tinted view of it, the original Super Mario Kart on SNES was a masterpiece of game design, which is one of the few titles from that era which still genuinely holds its own against today's titles. For the first time, platform gaming icons were squeezed into karts for single- and multiplayer racing - and it worked better than anyone could've hoped.

But the controversial N64 sequel split the fanbase right down the middle. While still a good title, we're very much in the camp which thinks much that was great on SNES was changed for the worse in the sequel, with much of the suspense and the character of the original lost.

It is with no small amount of pleasure, therefore, that we tell you Mario Kart: Double Dash!! has far more in common with the glorious 16-bit version, with most of the faults which dogged the sequel checked back...

Indeed, out of the initial 12 circuits on offer, we've found major shortcuts in at least eight of them. And these are proper shortcuts; not the glitchy "hop over the wall" kind you find on occasion in the SNES version. And the great thing about the shortcuts is they add that element of heart-pumping danger so absent from the N64 version...

There are so many beautiful visual touches: use an invincibility star and the rider slams it into the ground where it explodes with a flash; powerslide round corners and the rider leans round with you, Moto GP-style. Small touches, for sure, but the level of detail is wonderful making for an infinitely more immersive, characterful game.

And the visuals run at a rock solid 60fps, creating a vivid, clean, smooth look which again takes us back to the SNES, where you could see characters ahead of you sweeping round corners, whereas on N64 your view was greatly limited.

And you'll be amazed how often a new detail will catch your eye, like an animated flower or suchlike - yes, it sounds sickeningly twee on paper, but in the context of the game it works perfectly...

Which is why we're telling you now: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! rocks. The original Super Mario Kart was grossly underrated when it first appeared, since it took time for its genius to become apparent. But we've all been playing and reviewing games for a long time since then and we all ought to be able to spot a winner much earlier on these days...
source:Computer and Videogames
Old 10-21-03, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
It is with no small amount of pleasure, therefore, that we tell you Mario Kart: Double Dash!! has far more in common with the glorious 16-bit version
I hope this is true. But I'm still going to rent it first.
Old 10-21-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

EGM GAME OF THE MONTH

10, 10, 9.5

Oh yeah. Now that's some goodness.
Old 10-21-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jdpatri
EGM GAME OF THE MONTH

10, 10, 9.5

Wow almost a perfect score from EGM. These are the guys that gave F-Zero GX a couple of sevens.

The Japanese magazine Famitsu just reviewed the game as well. Here are their scores:

Mario Kart: Double Dash - 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

source: GC Advanced

Old 10-21-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by jdpatri
EGM GAME OF THE MONTH

10, 10, 9.5

I have it preordered, but with some of the recent titles being a bit disapointing I was thinking of cancelling. Guess thats not happening here.
Old 10-21-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the N64 version was brilliant (except for the slowdown). Wasn't that impressed with snes version (although I only played that briefly). Sounds like I will still like the GC iteration but I wonder what the core differences are between this and 64. Anyone played it yet?