Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the deal with the new PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the deal with the new PS2?

I heard a few months ago that a new PS2 with built-in broadband adapter and progressive scan DVD output was in the works, but I haven't heard anything about it lately. What's the deal?
Old 08-19-03, 04:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's in store now and sells for $199. The old PS2 goes for $179 and is in a blue box.
Old 08-19-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But is the $199 one the model with the built in IR sensor and DVD progressive scan? You're talking about the "Online bundle" right? It's in the black box as opposed to the blue $179 PS2.
Old 08-19-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5065421.html?tag=fd_top

From young's thread earlier today...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=312313

But this has been out for a while. The difference between the $179 and $199 model is that the $199 now comes with broadband adapter and a free game. Not sure about the progressive scan...
Old 08-19-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ^sam^
http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-5065421.html?tag=fd_top

From young's thread earlier today...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=312313

But this has been out for a while. The difference between the $179 and $199 model is that the $199 now comes with broadband adapter and a free game. Not sure about the progressive scan...
I went with a fried recently who bought a PS2 for the first time. I told him about the "new" one, and he wanted to buy it.

Per best buy employees about 2 weeks ago, the ones in the black box are not the new ones with the P/S support and the IR sensor built-in.

If anyone can disprove this claim after having purchased the online pack PS2's in the black box, please do so.
Old 08-19-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The black box "online pack" is not the new model PS2. The new model is supposed to come out in the fall. I manage a game store, and customers and my Sony rep have confimed it.
Old 08-19-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish game stores would get this right. My local EB has sold out of online pack PS2s by telling everyone they are the new ones with progressive scan built in. One guy actually traded in his old PS2 for $100 to get the online pack for $200. He basically spent a $100 for the broadband adaptor since it doesn't have all the new features the game store employees claim.
Old 08-19-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
So that's how Sony installs millions of users
Old 08-19-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the NEW MODEL PS2 is comming out in 2004 and Japan in Fall or Winter 2003 and the Bundle Pack in w/ Broadban adapter is already out for $199.99.

Also, GC system going be $99.99 in September (Sony & Mircosoft still unknow)
Old 08-20-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, something is up with Sony. What's the deal with misrepresentation? first they have to repair PS2s for free...now this.
Old 08-20-03, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Superboy
Yeah, something is up with Sony. What's the deal with misrepresentation? first they have to repair PS2s for free...now this.
Hey lies and half truths have worked for Sony so far so why stop now? Also I can go into detail on why I say this if anyone cares to read it I'm tried and not going to write it now plus I don't feel like getting a console war going.
Old 08-20-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Hey lies and half truths have worked for Sony so far so why stop now? Also I can go into detail on why I say this if anyone cares to read it I'm tried and not going to write it now plus I don't feel like getting a console war going.
I don't hate Sony because they've made gaming "mainstream", i hate them because they can't be responsible with their electronics. Oh yeah, and their movie division making up imaginary reviewers to boost publicity for their movies speaks volumes about their integrity.
Old 08-20-03, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Superboy
I don't hate Sony because they've made gaming "mainstream", i hate them because they can't be responsible with their electronics. Oh yeah, and their movie division making up imaginary reviewers to boost publicity for their movies speaks volumes about their integrity.
I have no porb with gaming being mainstream it's just the lies and BS they told people that got on my nerves. Also if anyone does not agree with me I warn you I will use my PSX2 to send a WMD up your ass. Also it's so powerful I will use it to make a CG monster and it will come to life and it will kill ya dead. I mean crap I knew Sony was full of crap when they said they was going to have CG level looks in games yet it was going to have 34 Mag's of ram. I mean god for that much detail your going to need allot more ram then that ****. The min I saw that ram size I said OK all this crap they are talking is just BS.

Also people can piss and cry all they want and say this crap win Sony the console war but you only heard this stuff if you was on the net or reading gaming megs yet the meanstrem does not do that so people are full of crap when they say lies and hype won Sony the console war.

PS. How did you get the idea I did not like gaming going meanstrem?
Old 08-20-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, the box says it is progressive scan. It is also DTS and DVD r rw ,or whatever those recordable designations are, compatible.
Old 08-20-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bcolon
Actually, the box says it is progressive scan. It is also DTS and DVD r rw ,or whatever those recordable designations are, compatible.
Pic? Scan? I guess I can just go to the store and look too huh?

And how is this misrepresentation on Sony's part by the way? If the consumer is misinformed enough to buy something without reading the box and features then it is his/her fault, not the company's.
Old 08-20-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's true, the box does say that it can read DVDr/DVDrw. I don't know about progressive scan though.