Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Choosing a new system is tough.... (PS2 vs. X-Box, merged)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Choosing a new system is tough.... (PS2 vs. X-Box, merged)

Old 05-19-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at both systems too. I'd probably just be playing sports games for the most part. Online would be nice, but not necessarily a must. Which platform has the better sports games?

I've been searching the forum for what's going on with the new PS2 release. What are the upgrades? Can someone point me to the thread?

Last edited by monkeyboy; 05-19-03 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless being able to play EA sports games online is a make-or-break issue, most sports gamers clearly prefer Xbox.
Old 05-19-03, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by monkeyboy

I've been searching the forum for what's going on with the new PS2 release. What are the upgrades? Can someone point me to the thread?

courtesy of gamespot
here you go
Old 05-20-03, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Unless being able to play EA sports games online is a make-or-break issue, most sports gamers clearly prefer Xbox.
I totally agree. Unless you have to have Madden online (mixed in with broadband and 56k connections ) then the Xbox would have to be the system of choice in my opinion. They basically get all the same games but they look better, and have less loading times. Add to this the fact that Sega is doing more for Xbox ONLINE than the PS2 and it counters the Madden issue (unless you are a huge Madden fan that must play it online).
Old 05-20-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
I think that Kainan summed it up nicely.

My opinion though is that it all depends on the games, specifically the exclusives. That points to Nintendo hands down. most of the good 3rd party games are ported nicely anyways so it is the exclusives that do it for me. I do have to say that I don't have a taste for console online gaming though. they definately suck at that. I am extremely happy with my GCN.
Old 05-20-03, 03:02 PM

Tanman, the only way it easily points to Nintendo for exclusives IMO is if what you are really wanting to say is In House games. I would be willing to debate with anyone that Nintendo has the best 1st party games but when we are talking about ALL the exclusives then it is different. Many have pointed out plenty for the PS2 and I've pointed out some Xbox games (forgot to mention Rare's Perfect Dark sequel) . When you add in all these others then the picture is as clear as mud to me and reverts back to asking more of what TYPE of games you like.
Old 05-20-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hm, i'd say the biggest problem with the Xbox is that you either play Microsoft's way, or you don't play at all. You can't readily access the DVD player; you have to use broadband; all online games need Xbox live; can't mod the system and access xbox live; so on and so forth.

With the PS2, you have a lot more options. Almost all online games are free, and you can use BB or 56K with the same adaptor.
Old 05-20-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Superboy
Hm, i'd say the biggest problem with the Xbox is that you either play Microsoft's way, or you don't play at all. You can't readily access the DVD player; you have to use broadband; all online games need Xbox live; can't mod the system and access xbox live; so on and so forth.

With the PS2, you have a lot more options. Almost all online games are free, and you can use BB or 56K with the same adaptor.
There's a new mod chip that has an external switch that allows you to disable it for live.

I'm stuck with 56k atm and lack of modem support is hardly a great loss IMO. After previously having cable at my last place I haven't even considered trying to play any online games at my new place.

DVD playback requires use of a remote which seems to be bundled with most ps2 and xbox packs these days and doesn't cost much on it's own. The money you save on memory cards would more than cover it.

None of the issues you mention should be show stoppers for anyone considering an xbox IMO.

Chris
Old 05-20-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chris_D
There's a new mod chip that has an external switch that allows you to disable it for live.

I'm stuck with 56k atm and lack of modem support is hardly a great loss IMO. After previously having cable at my last place I haven't even considered trying to play any online games at my new place.

DVD playback requires use of a remote which seems to be bundled with most ps2 and xbox packs these days and doesn't cost much on it's own. The money you save on memory cards would more than cover it.

None of the issues you mention should be show stoppers for anyone considering an xbox IMO.

Chris
I agree... I have not jumped on the X-Box live bandwagon yet, but it seems like MS is doing it right. Also, the trade off of having to not buy a memory card makes up for the need to purchase the DVD remote.

Also there is something to be said for a controlled environment. Stability is a major plus for online gaming.

If MS can keep cheaters out, keep up connection speeds, etc, subscribers will be happy and renew their subscriptions and ultimately it should pay off for them.
Old 05-20-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kainan
Tanman, the only way it easily points to Nintendo for exclusives IMO is if what you are really wanting to say is In House games. I would be willing to debate with anyone that Nintendo has the best 1st party games but when we are talking about ALL the exclusives then it is different. Many have pointed out plenty for the PS2 and I've pointed out some Xbox games (forgot to mention Rare's Perfect Dark sequel) . When you add in all these others then the picture is as clear as mud to me and reverts back to asking more of what TYPE of games you like.
Up to this point XBox has really been lacking in the exclusives department. It seems like the only exclusives they get are not killer apps but just nice extras. However, I think it is just getting a (VERY) slow start. Once the big (although unproven) games come out, Fable, Star Wars KoTR, Ninja Gaiden etc they will bolster their lineup. For instance, Splinter Cell was one of XBox's killer apps but eventually appeared on the other two. To me, there really aren't many games at all on the XBox that I can't get my fix elsewhere. But that is just different strokes and does in fact revert back to your point on the different types of games.
I guess it is easy for us who follow the three closely and can make a decision based on that information. It really must be a tough decision for a video game "virgin"

Its nice to have a member who can actually think clearly and beyond their own preferences.
Old 05-20-03, 11:40 PM
Retired

Best exclusives is totally subjective, so it's really useless to argue.

Some will say the PS2 with GTA, FF, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, Rachet and Clank, Sly Cooper etc.

Others will say X-box with Halo, PDO, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue II and upcoming games like Star Wars KoTOR, Ninja Gaiden etc.

Still others will say Nintendo with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, etc.

It all comes down to what you like to play, as each system has pretty unique exclusives.

I will say that MS seems to get the fewest exclusives in shear number, with many deals being just time exclusivity or extra featuares that IMO really don't help sell consoles.
Old 05-21-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll preface this by saying that I've been a Nintendo fan for 15 years now and they have been my favorite developer since I was a kid. I currently have all three consoles and an SP and the only system I've been disappointed with is Gamecube. None of the big Nintendo games have impressed me thus far and I don't see that changing so I recently put my Cube on eBay. I love Nintendo games, but I just don't think that the quality of their games is what it once was.

The PS2 is pretty similar to the PSX as the majority of big third party games are there, plain and simple. IMO, Sony's first party games are vastly improved from a few years ago so that system is a no-brainer. Ever since I bought a PSX back in '97, Sony's consoles have received the most play time. I had the Network Adapter and SOCOM last fall and had a great time with my first online gaming experience until the cheating, poor servers and relative lack of online content became a problem.

The Xbox surprised me the most this gen. I've loved the exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Halo in addition to the best version of Splinter Cell. I recently picked up Xbox Live and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and am thrilled with that combo. There are quite a few exclusives I'm interested in and the amount of online games I want in is increasing too.

It all depends on what games you want to play the most. I took a wait and see approach to Xbox Live and am a happy convert. It is everything it's cracked up to be and then some. The high replayability of the best online titles goes a long way to combat the smaller software library.
Old 05-21-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We must be making the poor OP very confused.

We've basically settled in to our own comfortable spots and keep ending our replys with "basically its up to you"

Have you made a decision yet Mike?
Old 05-21-03, 12:50 AM

Just watch the Halo 2 video.
Old 05-21-03, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by tanman
After five replies, he appeared to have made a decision... the logical one, in my eyes: Xbox now since its price and extras probably won't be changing for months, then PS2 when the upgraded package comes out.

After that it just became a blur of 'The system I happen to own has the best exclusives, and the systems I don't own have next-to-nothing worth playing'.

[I've never understood this argument, anyway... who just plays exclusives given the sheer number of multiplatform titles? And if one system regularly receives the top versions, why shouldn't this be a factor? But that's another argument for another day.]
Old 05-21-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tanman
We must be making the poor OP very confused.

We've basically settled in to our own comfortable spots and keep ending our replys with "basically its up to you"

I did make my decision and I picked up the Xbox yesterday. I purchased with the console, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003,
Halo, Sega Sports: World Series Baseball 2K3 and NBA Live 2003.
Which, for me, was quite a chunk of change. I haven't yet been able to play all the games I purchased. But, the golf and baseball games are great. The opinions and comments, in this thread, on the Xbox and PS2 were very important in finally pushing me to actually get out and buy the Xbox. Thanks.
Old 05-21-03, 09:12 AM

I've never understood this argument, anyway... who just plays exclusives given the sheer number of multiplatform titles? And if one system regularly receives the top versions, why shouldn't this be a factor? But that's another argument for another day.
This is a HUGE point of mine since most people are playing multiplatform games the majority of the time. I personally would like the best version possible. Also, getting exclusive rights for 6 months on a game is a pretty big issue if someone really wants that game. Six months can feel like an eternity, especially to wait on an INFERIOR port of the game (which 90% Xbox to PS2 games are as Splinter Cell comes to mind). So, if you are going to have Return To Castle Wolfenstein on all 3 systems wouldn't you want the one with LIVE support, the best graphics, less loading time, and HD use for saves?
I'll admit that I'm sold on LIVE. This has saved me a TON of money on games. RTCW is the first game I've bought since I picked up GR and starting playing it on LIVE. Well, I might have picked up a game for my son but I'm not sure. Normally I would have purchased a game a month at a minimum but GR has kept me happy on LIVE.
Old 05-21-03, 11:56 AM
Retired

[I've never understood this argument, anyway... who just plays exclusives given the sheer number of multiplatform titles? And if one system regularly receives the top versions, why shouldn't this be a factor? But that's another argument for another day.]
1. Multi-platform games are obviously on multi-platform, so they never factor into my decision on which console(s) to buy. I mean, I can play Madden, Splintercell, etc. on all three consoles (and I'm not a graphics whore and don't really care which has the best graphics or sound) so they don't factor in to the equation for me. I look to see what games/series each system will offer that I can't get on the competition and use that to make my decision.

2. If you exclude sports games, I definitely spend most of my time playing games that are exclusives. The best games IMO are usually exclusive, their usually either made by Nintendo (the best developer IMO) or are great games (FF, GTA, RE, etc.) otherwise the console maker wouldn't shell out the $ to get them as exclusives.
Old 05-21-03, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
1. Multi-platform games are obviously on multi-platform, so they never factor into my decision on which console(s) to buy. I mean, I can play Madden, Splintercell, etc. on all three consoles (and I'm not a graphics whore and don't really care which has the best graphics or sound) so they don't factor in to the equation for me. I look to see what games/series each system will offer that I can't get on the competition and use that to make my decision.

2. If you exclude sports games, I definitely spend most of my time playing games that are exclusives. The best games IMO are usually exclusive, their usually either made by Nintendo (the best developer IMO) or are great games (FF, GTA, RE, etc.) otherwise the console maker wouldn't shell out the $ to get them as exclusives.
Man oh man.... You never factor in multi-platform? Not a graphics whore? Dude you could do much better than spouting off such things. If you are so not a graphics whore (as you seem to find some reason to call it) then why don't you play Splinter Cell on a GameBoyAdvance. That system has a ton of great games. How about just sticking with the Playstation. It has the biggest library of great games of probably any system to date so why spend money on an updated system? LOL, you just touched a nerve with this one. Believe it or not but a LOT of people care about graphics, sound, load times, and stuff like that and I wouldn't call them graphic, sound, load whores. I would probably call them typical gamers who want the BEST they can get. What the heck is wrong with someone wanting the best version of a game? I guess I'm an online whore too! LOL!
One point to be made is that more and more often graphics are working into gameplay. Splinter Cell is an excellent example of this. I guess you could go the GBA route and look at blobs of pixels moving around if you want so no one will call you something absurd.

Now myself, I'm a graphics whore (I guess by your definition). I like games that look real. I don't know exactly why I like good graphics but for some strange reason I'm really excited to play a game that looks real. I like a clear picture so much that I spent about $6000 on my HDTV. Hmm.. can't imagine why anyone would want to see DVDs with all that clarity when they could watch it all washed out like and who needs 1080i? Blah.. some people and their longing for clarity. I know it is horrible and everything but I also like to play things that surround me with sound! For some BIZZARE reason I like hearing sound come from speakers around me. Call me what you want but when I hear a gun shooting by my right ear behind me I kind of like it better than when everything comes out of those speekers built into a TV set. Strange indeedeeeeee.....
Also I can't help it but for some reason I like games like Splinter Cell. I know it is on more than one system but I still like it and therefore I let the graphic whoreness get ahold of me to want to get the best version I can find. What is a guy like me to do? I'm doomed to graphic, sound, and loading whoredom.

LOL! You think my comments sound comical? I think yours sound just as comical if not more so. If people didn't care about graphics then we would still be playing Atari 2600s or maybe worked our way up to the Playstation by now. There would also be nobody upgrading their PCs and we would still be watching B&W movies. Heheheh.... sorry but I got a kick out of writing this.

Last edited by Kainan; 05-21-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-21-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Man oh man.... You never factor in multi-platform? Not a graphics whore? Dude you could do much better than spouting off such things. If you are so not a graphics whore (as you seem to find some reason to call it) then why don't you play Splinter Cell on a GameBoyAdvance. That system has a ton of great games. How about just sticking with the Playstation. It has the biggest library of great games of probably any system to date so why spend money on an updated system? LOL, you just touched a nerve with this one. Believe it not but a LOT of people care about graphics, sound, load times, and stuff like that and I wouldn't call them graphic, sound, load whores. I would probably call them typical gamers who want the BEST they can get. What the heck is wrong with someone wanting the best version of a game? I guess I'm an online whore too! LOL!
One point to be made is that more and more often graphics are working into gameplay. Splinter Cell is an excellent example of this. I guess you could go the GBA route and look at blobs of pixels moving around if you want so no one will call you something absurd.

Save your breath - he says this in 1/4th of the threads he posts in... he's not into graphics, he doesn't like to pay too much for video games, he doesn't want a console that does more than play games, he doesn't like this type of game or that type of game but he has an opinion about all of them, he doesn't have very much time at all to play video games in the first place, and he doesn't like multiplayer. Some people are like this. There's nothing wrong with that - he's a little more vocal about his gaming apathy than most people are, but he's entitled to share his opinions as much as the next guy. I've never seen him change his mind on these things though, so you might be wasting your time arguing with him about that stuff.
Old 05-21-03, 05:57 PM

Hehehehe, I don't even really consider this a debate/argument as much as me laughing at him calling people graphics whores. I've seen people that say this and for some reason they always have one of the latest systems. Hmm... strange due to the stance on graphics..... LOL!
Old 05-21-03, 06:17 PM

I wouldn't call them graphic, sound, load whores.

LOL! That is f-ing hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Load whores!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-03, 06:17 PM

Heheheh.... sorry but I got a kick out of writing this.
Heheheh... thanks, I got a good laugh from reading this and it made my day.
Old 05-21-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,094 Posts
XBOX = IN GAME DD 5.1

XBOX DD 5.1 games:

HALO
MECHASSAULT
JET SET RADIO FUTURE
and many more...

PSX2 = DD 5.1 ONLY in cut scenes

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-21-03 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I myself spend a GREAT majority of my time playing "exclusives". To me exclusives is what makes or breaks the system. I really don't have that many titles (maybe 25%) that are multiplatform.

I think this is one of the major reasons why people play on PC's (including me) is because most of the titles that come out are only on PC and can only BE on PC.

Kainan I know you were just going off on Josh but your arguement (if that is really what it is) was a bit much. Of course people care about graphics. otherwise we would still be playing Ataris, but the difference between the PS2/XBox/GCN version of most multiplatform titles make little difference on if I will enjoy them or not. The graphical difference is not nearly comparable to the differences between the XBox and the GBA as you so pointed out. And either way I enjoy my GBA very much. More often than not it is not subtle graphical changes but major bugs due to lazy programming that makes people stay away from one version or another. And I'm sorry but not all of us have a $6000 HDTV set yet.

Best versions of multiplatform titles is a factor and SHOULD be a factor. But at least for me it is not nearly as much of a decision maker as it seems for everyone else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.