Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The worst games you have ever played

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Pit Fighter", which used sucky "realistic" characters to compensate for lousy gameplay. That or "Journey Escapes".
Old 02-04-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by sfsdfd
Oh, come on. You've never played a game worse than Super Metroid?

Mentioning Super Metroid in a worst.games.evar thread is like mentioning Kate Moss in an obesity thread.

- David Stein
Talking platformers here man. Not all games in general. Yes, there are other games that I have played that are probably worse than SM, I'm just listing the titles off the top of my head. I'm also entitled to my own opinion....just like Pixy can state that FFVII-FFX-2 are the worst games he's ever played. I would have to quote you on that statement:

"Mentioning Final Fantasy in a worst.games.evar thread is like mentioning Kate Moss in an obesity thread.

Old 02-04-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Trespasser - Get my vote for worst game I every played. This was I think the first game I brought for the PC. Could not believe how bad the control was, I could'nt shoot those raptors because I can't control the damn weapon in my hand, it felt like you were drunk or something. Bottom line, This game SUCK!!!
Old 02-04-04, 06:33 PM

the absolute worse was ty the tasmanian for me. the camera angles were horrible. argh...just thinking about the game makes me sick..

Kat
Old 02-04-04, 06:50 PM

I know I can't stand Rocky. The fact is that I played and loved Victorius Boxers a couple weeks before buying Rocky and boy was it like night and day.

I didn't like Mega Man X6 either. Way too cheap.

All the old Acclaim wrestling games were pretty bad.
Old 02-04-04, 06:53 PM

I do think there is a bit too much dislike for Final Fantasy on this message board. Having played RPG's since I began playing video games [age 6] on the NES and TurboGrafx 16, today's RPG's are like dreams come true. I had a very, umm, vivid imagination. I'd take the stories in games like Final Fantasy I, Phantasy Star II, Shining Force, and Y's and make them look like cartoons or movies in my mind.

Later RPG's, like Phantasy Star IV, and the Lunar series, felt a lot more like the way my imagination interpreted 8 and 16 bit RPG's. The little cut scenes they had, the more detailed anime style drawings, and more attention to audio and video were what excited me the most, and I couldn't wait to get to the next cut scene or anime video. And if the ending was nice and long, the entire game was well worth it.

Final Fantasy VII was EVERYTHING I had ever dreamed of when I was 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. No longer did I have to imagine everything so grand and majestic, it was ALL there: the characters,the actions, the expressions, the scenes, the movies, the sound, all of it. Remakes of Lunar, games like Shining Force III, Grandia, and Xenogears made that even more true. And while I really hated FFVIII and IX [which I feel had less story than the 16 bit ones and were very unimaginative..] then came X..

X felt like a big giant universe was out there. Even if it was "linear" [though I don't know why people say that, it's "linear" in the sense you have to follow a certain path, but throughout the entire game you can go off and level up, get extra items, find secrets..and if you follow the exact path given by the story..you'll miss a lot, even Aeons] there was a feeling that it was a real world, that there really were a billion people in Spira and not just the cast..

As for the gameplay, what new games have done is simply streamline it. You don't need to go through a million menus, or pay attention to stat points, now what matters most is strategy, how you play the game. My friends had a really hard time with lots of bosses, they weren't able to fully master the system, and had trouble. On the other hand, I completely made use of every little option. I got to a point [as do many other people] were no boss was a challenge because I knew how to fight them..

On the other hand..at least to me..gameplay on the old RPG's was just casting the same spell over and over, til you beat the character, it was ALL about stats...there was no way a level 1 character could beat the game..there was no way even someone moderately underpowered [level 20, 30, even 40] could beat it without TONS of healing...........

I have very fond memories of certain RPG's..but today's are certainly a lot better...and quite honestly..I would rather stare at a 20 minute FMV than a 20 minute cut scene with sprites..what you don't realize, all the RPG companies DREAMED of when they could do this..now they can..and they will. The old games are still around to play, and if you hate stories that much, just get an Xbox [where every RPG is a CRPG] or a Gamecube [where the word RPG doesn't even exist]
Old 02-04-04, 08:42 PM

Operation Armored Liberty for Gameboy Advance is baaaaaaad. *shudders*....

... and don't get me started on Star Wars: Force Commander for PC. Yikes.
Old 02-04-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be fair, KOTR (xbox) has a great story (arguably on par with any PS2 rpg out now) and I would say that the graphics and quality acting within the game bring you more into the world than any PS2 rpg I've played (including FFX where I would usually cringe whenever one of the characters opened their mouth). I'm definitely looking forward to jade empire which is coming around this year.

Baldurs Gate 2 (pc) had an excellent story and atmosphere, Planetscape: Torment is another fan favourite. I bet others who play more pc games than I do could list a bunch that are good.
Old 02-04-04, 09:02 PM

PS, Torment, has a really good story.

But still, most CRPG's are oriented more towards gameplay, stats, and dungeons than JRPG's..
Old 02-04-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sararekuforever
I do think there is a bit too much dislike for Final Fantasy on this message board. Having played RPG's since I began playing video games [age 6] on the NES and TurboGrafx 16, today's RPG's are like dreams come true. I had a very, umm, vivid imagination. I'd take the stories in games like Final Fantasy I, Phantasy Star II, Shining Force, and Y's and make them look like cartoons or movies in my mind.

Later RPG's, like Phantasy Star IV, and the Lunar series, felt a lot more like the way my imagination interpreted 8 and 16 bit RPG's. The little cut scenes they had, the more detailed anime style drawings, and more attention to audio and video were what excited me the most, and I couldn't wait to get to the next cut scene or anime video. And if the ending was nice and long, the entire game was well worth it.

Final Fantasy VII was EVERYTHING I had ever dreamed of when I was 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. No longer did I have to imagine everything so grand and majestic, it was ALL there: the characters,the actions, the expressions, the scenes, the movies, the sound, all of it. Remakes of Lunar, games like Shining Force III, Grandia, and Xenogears made that even more true. And while I really hated FFVIII and IX [which I feel had less story than the 16 bit ones and were very unimaginative..] then came X..

I have very fond memories of certain RPG's..but today's are certainly a lot better...and quite honestly..I would rather stare at a 20 minute FMV than a 20 minute cut scene with sprites..what you don't realize, all the RPG companies DREAMED of when they could do this..now they can..and they will. The old games are still around to play, and if you hate stories that much, just get an Xbox [where every RPG is a CRPG] or a Gamecube [where the word RPG doesn't even exist]
The last paragraph, specifically this line is where you and I disagree:

I would rather stare at a 20 minute FMV than a 20 minute cut scene with sprites..what you don't realize, all the RPG companies DREAMED of when they could do this..now they can..and they will.
A twenty minute FMV? Am I playing a game or watching a movie. I hope this isn't all RPG companies envisioned was great cutscene rewards. The reason I disliked FFVII is it felt like they used cgi cutscenes as a reward system instead of just advancing the story, and therefore it felt more of a movie than a game. You seem to mostly discuss the movies and audio as what excited you the most, frankly I am only excited about a games gameplay. The only thing that felt grand and majestic about FFVII in particular is the cgi stuff. FFVIII is the last Final Fantasy I played but I gave up on the series because it still had random battles. Random battles I feel are just lazy game design. They completely defeat any exploration aspect, but the worlds in FFVIII didnt seem that interesting to explore anyways.
Old 02-04-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I can add F-Zero GX to the list....
Wow.

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Most disappointing sequel award would have to go to Star Control 3.
I think Master of Orion III would be a better choice. Such high expectations followed by such a completely unfun product. You weren't managing an empire to span the galaxy... you were managing the bureaucracy that manages an empire to span the galaxy. One is fun; one is a job.
Old 02-04-04, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by msdmoney
The last paragraph, specifically this line is where you and I disagree:

A twenty minute FMV? Am I playing a game or watching a movie. I hope this isn't all RPG companies envisioned was great cutscene rewards. The reason I disliked FFVII is it felt like they used cgi cutscenes as a reward system instead of just advancing the story, and therefore it felt more of a movie than a game. You seem to mostly discuss the movies and audio as what excited you the most, frankly I am only excited about a games gameplay. The only thing that felt grand and majestic about FFVII in particular is the cgi stuff. FFVIII is the last Final Fantasy I played but I gave up on the series because it still had random battles. Random battles I feel are just lazy game design. They completely defeat any exploration aspect, but the worlds in FFVIII didnt seem that interesting to explore anyways.
Well, 20 minute is just a figure of speech. I don't think I've seen an FMV that long. My biggest example of this is the intro to Final Fantasy VI. It's all in sprites/2d graphics, and it seems to just drag on and on and on and on. Last time I remember you couldn't skip it, the only solution was a speed up on an emulator..yet no one complains about that. Same thing about the ending, you get a midi version of what is supposed to be a beautiful opera, and the same in game graphics for minutes on end just with sepia tones. The FMV's really help in those points, they move quicker, have more detail, and are much more exciting.

If I was Square, I'd respond to all these comments about "we want games, not movies" or just in general, the negative opinion concerning their games, by releasing a 2d, 16 bit version of Final Fantasy X. I'm sure a LOT of people's opinions would change. The FMV's might not add to the story [especially since X's story was told mostly through its real time cut scenes] but they add a lot of details. When you invade Bevelle to stop Yuna's marriage to Seymour, you have that minute or two FMV with Tidus grinding on the rails and everyone making some sort of flashy entrance, you have this incredible close up on Yuna's face as she sadly marries Seymour, you have the full expression of her disgust as she's kissed, and in general, it conveys the intensity of the moment..I can't imagine it being nearly half as good in sprites, without cut scenes...

I just find myself at a point where I disagree with most of today's opinions. Everytime I play a game I go back to my childhood. For example, everyone hated Wolverine's Revenge. I rented and hated it too, got caught up in the hype, and said it was the worst. It then came out for $9.99 at Best Buy. I was really into X Men more than ever [with X2 coming out on DVD, just buying XMen 1.5, and getting some of the essential books to replace my lost comic collection] and I got it. I sat down before playing it and reminded myself of Xmen and Wolverine: Adamantium Rage for Sega Genesis. I played the game and hours later, finding I was still playing it and enjoying it, realized that the game was what I liked dreaming about when I was 9 and LOVED Wolverine and wanted a real Wolverine game.

Today's games in my opinion are making come true every fantasy I had as a child. Sure, I will never get that Sonic VS Mario game, or Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat, or Final Phantasy Star, but lots of the things I wanted to see: like an Ecco the Dolphin that looked like an Imax movie, or a fighting game that looks like a real people fighting and has as many moves and styles the human body can actually do, or yes, an RPG that is just like an anime or a movie but with battles, items, and mini games..are all possible. And the tip of the iceberg hasn't even been scraped yet.

My real dream, maybe one day I can actually produce it, is an RPG that is just like the real world. A real world where one travels, lives an entire life turned over by an incredible story, a real world with magic and myth where all of our legends are true, and a living breathing world..where say..you could walk into a movie theatre and actually watch a movie, or go into an arcade and play other games, or join a basketball team, or practice a martial art, all while advancing one huge story, and affecting both the characters and the gameplay....

I'm sure most people will complain that it doesn't have enough gameplay, even though the game could last for over a year, have dozens of full different games to play besides the main RPG, and write out the most epic video game story ever written.
Old 02-05-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chowderhead
The michael jackson game for the Sega Genesis. You could never die and you destroy your enemies by forcing them to do the moonwalk or the thriller dance. His weapon was the white hat that he would throw and kill enemies with. It was so bad that I had to play it 4x.
What? That game was great. It was based on the movie. The graphics were good and the music was MJ music! His weapons were stars that shoot out from his hand and foot. The special abilities were making the enemies around him dance like a MJ music video or throw the hat. The moonwalk only served two purposes. The coolness factor and calling forth a shooting star that would turn MJ into that badass machine. You can blow the shit outta soldiers with its missles and laser beam. As for the final boss? Well, it was Joe Pesic... in a shootout in outer space. btw, yes, you could die.
Old 02-05-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Andalusia
"Pit Fighter", which used sucky "realistic" characters to compensate for lousy gameplay. That or "Journey Escapes".
Journey: Escape is actually one of my guilty childhood pleasures. Those big-headed bastards running all over the screen...pure videogame magic, my friend.
Old 02-05-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Lara Means
What? That game was great. It was based on the movie. The graphics were good and the music was MJ music! His weapons were stars that shoot out from his hand and foot. The special abilities were making the enemies around him dance like a MJ music video or throw the hat. The moonwalk only served two purposes. The coolness factor and calling forth a shooting star that would turn MJ into that badass machine. You can blow the shit outta soldiers with its missles and laser beam. As for the final boss? Well, it was Joe Pesic... in a shootout in outer space. btw, yes, you could die.
I gotta agree, I loved this game, esp. on the arcade.. That was a sweet robot he could turn into.. It was like Jackson's smooth criminal video sorta..
Old 02-05-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone played Race Drivin' on Super Nintendo? This IS the worst game ever made. They tried to make it a 3D racer but without the FX chip, so, and I'm not kidding, it moved about 2 frames per second at the most. I've played ET many times as a child and believe me, its leagues better than this.
Old 02-05-04, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My real dream, maybe one day I can actually produce it, is an RPG that is just like the real world. A real world where one travels, lives an entire life turned over by an incredible story, a real world with magic and myth where all of our legends are true, and a living breathing world..where say..you could walk into a movie theatre and actually watch a movie, or go into an arcade and play other games, or join a basketball team, or practice a martial art, all while advancing one huge story, and affecting both the characters and the gameplay....

I'm sure most people will complain that it doesn't have enough gameplay, even though the game could last for over a year, have dozens of full different games to play besides the main RPG, and write out the most epic video game story ever written.
A better complaint would be--why the hell would I want to do these things in a game when I can do them in real life? Games are about allowing you to experience things that you couldn't otherwise.
Old 02-05-04, 01:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One from memory...

Sword of Sodan - I was drawn to the game's gory violence (this was before Mortal Kombat), but the gameplay was completely awful. The control system and the character didn't see eye to eye, and it was frustratingly difficult as well.
Old 02-05-04, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by DarthMarino
Has anyone played Race Drivin' on Super Nintendo? This IS the worst game ever made. They tried to make it a 3D racer but without the FX chip, so, and I'm not kidding, it moved about 2 frames per second at the most. I've played ET many times as a child and believe me, its leagues better than this.
I played this one years before it was released on the SNES on my Commodore 64. I really enjoyed it, for the time it was one of the best driving games available. By the time the SNES was released I could see how this was horrid compared to the games in that era.
Old 02-05-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMarino
I liked that game in the arcade, but I can see how it could fail miserably when ported to the SNES.
Old 02-05-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
Just about any Batman game, but I keep trying.
Put me down for the same.
Old 02-07-04, 03:31 PM

Mort the Chicken for PS1. My wife found it on the discount rack at Costco and though it'd be 'fun' to pick up for a gift for me.

I am probably one of the few people who enjoyed and finished E.T. on the 2600. Then again, I was about 8 or 10 years old at the time.
Old 07-25-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ghostbusters on NES. It just was one of the worst games. Same awful music playing throughout the entire game, and the game itself was hard as hell because it was so poorly designed.
Old 07-25-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kainan
There are many but recently it is the Woverine game. I shudder at the thought of being a tester for that crappy game.
Yeah that did suck. I got it for free from Circuit City when I bought X-Men 2 DVD.

I played it for 3-4 hours, so I guess for free it wasn't too bad.
Old 07-25-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I bought Auto Modellista. The graphics are great, but gameplay is absolutely terrible. It really does feel like the road is covered with a sheet of ice when you're driving.
I was a tester for that game

But don't blame me!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.