Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Conker - Live, and Uncut!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Conker - Live, and Uncut!

Conker's back!

May 12, 2003 - While it won't be the first Rare game on Xbox, Conker: Live and Uncut will probably leap to the top of the list of most watned Rare game by virtue of its N64 popularity and the fact that it's in a lot better condition at this point than it's main challenger in the popularity contest: Perfect Dark 2. He's still the raunchiest cartoon squirrel to ever down a bottle of rotgut one minute and curse an evil crap monster the next. Conker: Live and Uncut will feature the single player game from the original N64 title Conker's Bad Fur Day but it will updated with Xbox quality graphics and sound and new naughty content that never made it into the Nintendo game. The main thrust however will be Conker's multiplayer Xbox Live compatibility that will have players shooting up a storm but in cleverly designed missions and movie-themed settings.
The multiplayer games over Xbox Live promise to be story driven and team-based with customization options aplenty. We fully expect a WWII themed level --like the one that opened up the N64 game-- and mission at some point in the new Conker game because of the brief clip shown at the E3 2003 Press Briefing. On the record Microsoft says one level will have players battling waves of vicious alien monsters much like the Sigourney Weaver classic from 1987. Another level called "The Heist" claims four teams of four players can go against each other in a fast paced competition to rob a bank. The spoofs of major motion pictures provided much of the humor for the N64 Conker game and the opportunity for the fuzzy little guy to take on some new film classics with the power of Xbox behind him is going to be too much to resist. The specific levels and missions will have matching themes and objective oriented gameplay will keep all players involved trying to accomplish the larger goal at hand.

From what we can tell in screenshots, players will be able to utilize grenades, rifles,knives, bazookas, swords and even dual swords in Live and Uncut. Dual swords in any game are always good.

Conker's personality and the twisted world he lives in will be right at home on the Xbox as opposed to the GameCube where the mature content was a huge departure from what consumers knew of both Rare and Nintendo. For Live and Uncut Microsoft suggests that Conker's obsession with wine, women and extremely crude humor will be explored like never before. Just the bit of footage we were able to glimpse at the E3 2003 Press Briefing showed Conker paratrooping out of a helicopter onto a battlefield of dozens of other squirrels and other furry critters. A brigade of charging squirrels armed with modern assault rifles and backed up by a squadron of attack jets streaking overhead are running head on into an army of what appear to be evil German teddiz. One of the bears gets off a good shot against one of Conker's buddies however and splits his face wide open with a gushing explosion of blood and chunks. The clip ends with a teddi in a spiked officer's helmet busting a cap into the camera at point blank range. If this is what players can expect from Conker: Live and Uncut's Xbox Live multiplayer component then it looks like there might be a hot new shooter on the block come 2004.

We'll have a lot more on Conker in the next 48 hours of E3 2003. Keep your browser on IGN.com for all the latest news and info on the best games of 2003 and 2004
Old 05-13-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I loved Conker for the N64, but I hope there is enough here to warrant a second purchase. I wasn't too fond of the multiplayer options originally so I hope they have been tweeked.
Old 05-13-03, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
A port of a great N64 title for $50 is a bit too much. However, if they really polish it up, and add-in alot of great features, I will definatley buy it right away.
Old 05-13-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..the main thrust however..
Old 05-13-03, 02:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was hoping for a sequel, not a remake. Unless the single player game is significantly different (like the Resident Evil remake) I'll probably pass.
Old 05-13-03, 06:42 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was one game I didn't lose any sleep over when Rare left Nintendo.

I didn't like the first at all. Most of the humor I just found stupid rather than funny. Just didn't do it for me.