Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS2 Sega fans getting the short end of the stick?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS2 owners who are Sega fans sure have been getting the short end of the stick. We got lackluster games like Shinobi and Gungrave while Xbox owners were blessed with Jet Set Radio Future and PDO, which are two incredibly awesome games. However, due to low sales on the Xbox, PS2 owners will finally get to enjoy some decent Sega games; but they're all remakes! i would have heartily appreciated some new installments as well as ports of some of the xbox exclusives. Even GC owners get the first new Yuji Naka platformer since Burning Rangers on the Saturn.
Old 05-07-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know. PS2 owners were blessed with the latest Virtua Fighter game. Also coming soon to PS2 is the great Virtual On series.
Old 05-07-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't want arcade translations. I want original games!!!
Old 05-07-03, 05:59 PM
Suspended

Orta on PS2....ewwwww.
Old 05-07-03, 06:05 PM
Banned

If Microsoft and Nintendo want to keep paying Sony to not put any games on PS2, thats fine with me. I haven't bought a Sega game since I traded in my Genesis many years ago, and I can live without them. Sure, I may be missing out on some great games, but I got hundreds of other great games that draw my attention more.
Old 05-07-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Wow. I had a completely different reaction. I thought Sega's recently-announced PS2 slate -- "Vectorman", "Altered Beast", "Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution", "Virtual On Marz", "Dororo", and "Kunoichi" -- looked to be the best of the three.
Old 05-07-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As of the past few years, the only Sega games that have interested me are their unique games of new franchises, like Super Monkey Ball and Jet Grind Radio. I don't really care at all for their classic series updates (like Shinobi, which bored me to tears), and quite frankly don't see what the big hullaballoo is over Sega supposedly being one of the greatest developers in the world. These days I think they've put out some pretty standard, mediocre, unmemorable games, so whichever system gets the best Sega support really doesn't mean that much to me. I have all three systems anyways.
Old 05-07-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gungrave looks great, and so is Shinobi, not to mention REZ!!! Those are awesome PS2 releases...
Old 05-07-03, 08:53 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing from sega this generation (or on the DC) has really interested me beside their sports games and the Super Monkey Ball games.

I didn't care that much for VF4. Absolutely hated the JSR and Shenmue games. And thought the Sonic Adventure games sucked compared to other 3D platformers, especially the second one which was total crap IMO. The PSO games didn't interest me at all as I hate online gaming.

PDO does look great, but I don't have an X-box to check it out.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 05-07-03 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 09:08 PM
Banned

PS2 owners got the best Sega game in years in VF4. I consider the VF series to be the no.1 Sega franchise now that the Sonic games suck since they went to 3-D. X Box owners got only one great Sega exclusive (PDO), the rest (Shenmue II, JSR, Sega GT, Gunvalkyrie) range from mediocre (Shenmue) to very good at best (JSR).
Old 05-07-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You get the short end of the stick with Sega no matter which console you have because they've been spreading out their games a lot. You got Super Monkey Ball and Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube, and PDO and JGR on the XBox. Only way to be safe is to have multiple consoles, but thats easier said than done for most people including me. That said, the PS2 has gotten some pretty good games. Virtua Fighter 4 is the best non weapons based 3D fighter hands down. And I had a blast with Shinobi. I think PS2 is getting Sonic Hero and Virtua ON Marz is also on the way. I saw some screens of Kunoichi and it looks pretty cool.
Old 05-08-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

New Sega PS2 games coming soon:

Dororo:

Altered Beast:

Kunoichi:

Old 05-08-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally can't wait for Altered Beast...don't really think Sega's been shafting PS2 owners.
Old 05-08-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nice battle-of-the-planets look with Kunoichi
Old 05-08-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like "tha_dvd_man" says, no big since I have all three systems anyways.
Old 05-08-03, 04:40 AM

you have got to be kidding... Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution? virtual on? Altered Beast? vectorman? did i mention Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution? grrrrr....
Old 05-08-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hee hee... sega fans who own a ps2.. I would figure that by being a sega fan you would have stood by your DC? damn traitors! the war isn't over..

the south DC will rise again.

Old 05-08-03, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I think that unless you have all three consoles, you're not going to get the FULL Sega experience. I was majorly bummed when they cancelled their Nintendo Sports line (Loved NBA 2K3, even with some of it's "problems"), and even though I have been enjoying Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Phantasy Star Online (even though I haven't played Online, yet) and the Sonic releases, I feel that they're just not doing enough for the Cube.

Sega got out of the console market because they felt that they couldn't compete in a way that would be profitable for their company. So they canned the Dreamcast (just like the Saturn before it) and "focused" on software development. Now they're saying that they're losing money on "certain" titles. The Nintendo sports line was the first to go, pretty soon maybe they'll say that porting any games to Nintendo isn't profitable. I mean, they're pretty much just relying on porting over years old games from the Dreamcast (Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, The Sonic Series, even the 2K series), or ports of "blockbuster" games from other consoles.

I love Sega, but maybe they should just let Sony or Microsoft buy them and be done with it. They could say that it was too unprofitable to be a once great software developer without a single console to develop for.

Would it be too much of a dream for them to join with Nintendo? Just imagine Sega developing again on a First Party basis...
Old 05-08-03, 03:33 PM
Banned

The GameCube isn't getting anymore Sega Sports games, now that is getting the short end of the stick.
Old 05-09-03, 11:48 PM

i was a sega fan in the nintendo vs sega years, but then sony hooked me. i love nfl 2k3, nba 2k3 and world series baseball 2k3 on ps2 though
Old 05-12-03, 12:30 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, GC owners are getting the short end of the stick, no question... But then again, what's new?