Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question for owners of NBA 2K3 for GameCube

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question for owners of NBA 2K3 for GameCube

I'm on my third copy of the game and I've tried it on two different consoles.

About every third or fourth game I play on either season or franchise mode the game freezes up and most of the time it makes a loud buzzing noise.

Is anyone else having this problem? Its frustrating to get into the fourth quarter of a game only to have the entire game lock up. Its obvious Sega either has a bad batch of discs out or they did no bug testing for the Cube version. This is the worst glich I've ever had in a console game. I would try replacing the disc again, but I can't even find any more copies of NBA 2K3 for sale anywhere for the Cube.
Old 02-02-03, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That same thing happens on my NFL 2K3 dynasty, although more frequent than every 3rd to 4th game. It is pissing me off to no end. I got it at Best Buy when I was home, and now I am across the country, so I'm not sure how to go about exchanging it.
Old 02-02-03, 01:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's odd. I had problems with NBA2K back on the Dreamcast. Would freeze on the sega screen when loading up. Got three copies from Wal-mart that did that before they gave me my money back. Bought a copy from EB and it worked fine.

If you're willing to try another copy, you could try ebay for a used copy and e-mail the seller inquiring about the problem. But of course you'd have to take their reply with a huge grain of salt as a lot people would lie just to get the sell.
Old 02-02-03, 02:56 PM

Exchange it for NBA Live 2003.....Ive never had a problem with NBA Live, its about 20 dollars cheaper, and a much much better basketball game.....That should be more than enough reason to make an exchange
Old 02-02-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by buttaz211
and a much much better basketball game

I STRONGLY disagree.
Old 02-02-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exchange it for NBA Live 2003.....Ive never had a problem with NBA Live, its about 20 dollars cheaper, and a much much better basketball game.....That should be more than enough reason to make an exchange
Well I did have NBA Live 2003 and its a fun arcade style game, but doesn't hold my interest the way NBA 2K3 does. I sold it after about a month. The outrageous number of steals and blocks, plus a terrible post up game offsets many of the good things about it.

I like playing NBA 2K3 and if worse comes to worse I may just break down and get the PS2 version. I prefer playing with the wavebird though.
Old 02-02-03, 10:33 PM

Regardless of which is better, I found some interesting info. In the December issue of Gamepro(with Link on the cover), three people wrote into the magazine with the same exact problem that you had run into. When Gamepro contacted Sega about the problem, Sega replied "This is the first we have heard of this issue and are looking into it now. We strive to provide the best quality gaming experiance possible for all gamers. Sega Sports NBA 2K3 is the preeminent basketball franchise, delivering the most realistic experience through its depth of gameplay, feature sets, and attention to detail".

Would have been nice if Sega had answered the question. Thought you would like to know.
Old 02-02-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should have bought it for the XBox.
Old 02-02-03, 10:35 PM

Note: All three writers had the problem with NBA 2K3 on Gamecube....Looks like it might just be a problem on the Cube
Old 02-03-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edytwinky
You should have bought it for the XBox.
Great that would only have been $250 to play NBA 2K3.
Old 02-03-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Note: All three writers had the problem with NBA 2K3 on Gamecube....Looks like it might just be a problem on the Cube
Cool, thanks for the info. Guess I'll get the PS2 version. I emailed Sega just in case, but I'm sure I won't get more than a canned answer.
Old 02-05-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Official response from Sega

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

There is a problem with NBA2k3 for Gamecube, for which we are working on a solution as we speak. We hope to make an announcement in the near future at www.segasports.com on the message boards regarding a solution. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience and support.

Sincerely,

-Jason
Sega of America Technical Support
So at least its a known problem now. If they ever come up with a solution I will post the answer.
Old 03-19-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just thought I would update. I received a replacement disc from Sega and the game is still not fixed. The new discs freezes up on me in the middle of games just like before. I know two other people with this game not to mention tons of complaints at the Sega Sports forums and it seems all copies of this game have the lock up problems.

I contacted Sega again today and the representative basically told me that Sega is aware of the problem, but is not going to fix it now or ever. I asked if I could exchange the disc for a different Sega title and was told no. I asked if I could swap it for the PS2 version and again the answer was no. Sega is basically just going to pretend the problem is no big deal.

I really don't find it fair to pay $50 for a defective game. Anyone know if there is anything I can do besides a complaint to the BBB which will probably come to nothing? Guess I'm out $50.