Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

are all mod chips the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are all mod chips the same?

I want an xbox mod chip primarily so I can do 2 things.

1. I want to make it an all region dvd player, and
2. I want to run XBoxMediaPlayer so I can play mp3 over the stereo.

Will any mod chip allow this, or do I need a specific one? To the best of my knowledge, none of this is illegal.

the ability to deactivate the chip would be useful too....

Last edited by RoQuEr; 01-30-03 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Xbox started using different DVD Roms to save money and they are slightly larger than the previous ones... now there isn't enough room for the mod chips. Everyone thinks MS did this on purpose, but it was just something they did to save money.
Old 01-30-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope you see this before this thread gets locked and my link gets deleted.

Go to www.easybuy2000.com and get the Matrix chip. It'll do exactly what you need and is easy to install.
Old 01-30-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
I hope you see this before this thread gets locked and my link gets deleted.

Go to www.easybuy2000.com and get the Matrix chip. It'll do exactly what you need and is easy to install.
On Jan. 16, 2003 our Canadian office was raided by DirecTV and Bell ExpressVu and an injunction was issued by the courts. Because of the injunction, we were unable to disclose any information to the public at that specific time. Our office was closed for the week of Jan. 20, 2003 and all orders placed within that time had to be put on hold. We would like to apologize to our customers for this and we want to assure everyone that our office is now back open and we are working hard to make sure everything goes back to normal.

At this time, we have decided to cease all Satellite operations and will no longer sell or provide information on Satellite products. We will focus on modchips and will be introducing new and exciting products in the near future.

!!!
Old 01-30-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Xbox started using different DVD Roms to save money and they are slightly larger than the previous ones... now there isn't enough room for the mod chips. Everyone thinks MS did this on purpose, but it was just something they did to save money.
meh. I've never heard that before, but I'm pretty sure I've got a phillips drive.....

Who would of thought that they made the Xbox so big, and then USED all the available space......
Old 01-31-03, 01:44 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
They stopped using the Thompson DVD Drives because they were shiet to begin with. It may be a bit bigger, but you can still install a chip.

BTW, some people have it super easy when installing the chip, mine took forever.
Old 01-31-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dek
They stopped using the Thompson DVD Drives because they were shiet to begin with. It may be a bit bigger, but you can still install a chip.

BTW, some people have it super easy when installing the chip, mine took forever.
Um... well, the original drive may have been shiet to begin with, but the reason they changed was because the new one was cheaper. You can think what you want though if it makes you feel better.
Old 01-31-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty much any chip will do what you want. Matrixes are currently unavailable (see easybuy's legal troubles) so I'd advise you to go with the X2.

Never heard of the DVD drive size issue. Most current mod chips are tiny. Like the size of 2 match books so its hard to imagine room being a problem.
Old 01-31-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
Pretty much any chip will do what you want. Matrixes are currently unavailable (see easybuy's legal troubles) so I'd advise you to go with the X2.

Never heard of the DVD drive size issue. Most current mod chips are tiny. Like the size of 2 match books so its hard to imagine room being a problem.
It looks like easybuy's Matrix problems are wholly unrelated to their (satellite) legal troubles. The Matrix chip is simply out of stock and backordered. It happens periodically with their site.

I recommend this chip because I helped install one and I've seen it in action. It took us less than 10 minutes from the time we sat the machine down until we hooked it up again -- and there was NO soldering. And no dashboard replacement either.
Old 02-01-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
It looks like easybuy's Matrix problems are wholly unrelated to their (satellite) legal troubles. The Matrix chip is simply out of stock and backordered. It happens periodically with their site.

I recommend this chip because I helped install one and I've seen it in action. It took us less than 10 minutes from the time we sat the machine down until we hooked it up again -- and there was NO soldering. And no dashboard replacement either.
Go to easybuy's forums and see whats going on and decide if youre still willing to send them your money. Even before their legal troubles they had a rep for horrible customer service. Now they have told their wholesalers it would be 3 weeks minimum to get their orders. Many of which were placed a month ago. The Matrix is a good chip but I would think twice before dealing with easybuy.

If he wants to replace his HD and and run other applications such as XBMP he WILL need to replace the Dashboard. The only reason not to replace the dash is if you only want to play backups.
Old 02-01-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the tips Thrush.

It really makes you wonder why MS didn't make this a standard feature. If more people used the box as a generic media center in their HT, then that means more market share for MS.