Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Price Drops In May?

Old 01-24-03, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price Drops In May?

anyone else hear anything bout the prices going down? i found a link in another fourm but havent heard anything more bout it... the link is to a money.cnn.com article and it is pretty interesting.

heres the link:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/12/13/comm...ming/index.htm

its over a month old, so im surprised i havent seen anyone else talking about it..

"The consensus seems to be that we can expect another round of cuts before mid-year, most likely right around the same time as the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the gaming industry's annual trade show. Most execs are predicting another $50 reduction, taking the Xbox and PS2 to $149 and the GameCube to $99. While unlikely, they acknowledge it's not inconceivable that PS2 and Xbox prices could fall to $99 (and, by default, the GameCube would slip to $50)."

that would kick ass if it did happen tho..
Old 01-24-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker of Elves - It would be nice - but the truth is, we don't know. Sales of PS2 are still strong at their current price point, as are the Xbox. Nintendo is now incorporating a free game with Gamecube purchase, possibly indicating this is their primary move to stimulate sales.
Every month or so threads are started about price reduction with people saying "I've got a friend who's sister's ex-boyfriend's present girlfriend is cheating with a Best Buy worker who heard a Store Manager discussing the soon to be price reduction with their district manager. They said it would be done by x date." Well, the time comes and no price reduction - big surprise.
The way the consoles seem to be selling - a drop in May is not immenent. But of course - this is only one side of the argument.
Old 01-24-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
http://money.cnn.com/2002/12/13/comm...ming/index.htm

its over a month old, so im surprised i havent seen anyone else talking about it..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=259648
Calling us slackers?!?!
Old 01-24-03, 08:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

The thing about price drops is they are already super low. Especially when you could get at the Xmas deals that came about (MSN dollars, Nintendo Rebates). I'm not sure why we'd see another price drop only a year later. MS isn't going to initiate it and Sony probably won't either. Nintendo has a good thing going with this current promotion as well, but that's not a price drop.
Old 01-24-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummm I think price drops have been in affect for awhile actually. They are aware they need to drop and have been using promotions to hold out on official drop. I be surprised if make it all way to May. Nontheless at least for Nintendo console your getting system already for $100 with current deals.
Old 01-24-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

in reply to jolts post, "DOH!"
Old 01-24-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The prices have dropped as madara has said. If you need to do promos and bundle games at the same price then you are dropping the price without officially doing it.

when they drop the price(and they will sometime) the promos will stop for awhile till they need them again to boost sales.

So you can buy now a get a few free games or a rebate or you can wait and get a lower price and no free games. Your choice.
Old 01-24-03, 12:30 PM
Retired

I think we'll see MS do something different by May.

Either drop the price, or do a "pick a game from a list" deal like Nintendo.

I imagine pretty much everyone that wanted the JSRF/Sega GT bundle for $200 have probably already bought it.

So they need something new. Either drop that bundle $50, put out the system with just the type S controller for $150, or do a pick a free game from a list deal (with Halo on that list).
Old 01-24-03, 02:00 PM

It happens every year, so I don't expect this one to be different.

If somebody has failed to buy a console at $xxx since before the holidays 5 to 6 months earlier, there's no way they'll buy one during the summer at the same price.

Thus, May equals price cut... especially when it can get plenty of media attention from an E3 announcement.
Old 01-24-03, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
It wont drop anymore. There wont be any new consoles for atleast 3 years..So why drop it $50? Cube would be $100, Xbox and PS2 $150. Prices wont drop till ATLEAST Next May.