Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Expands Player's Choice Line-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nintendo Expands Player's Choice Line-up

January 23, 2003 - Nintendo today announced that it has expanded the library of "Player's Choice" games -- best-selling GameCube software at a discounted price -- to include three major new titles. Hits Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin and Super Smash Bros. Melee have all been inducted into the club and will now retail for $29.95, according to the company.

Luigi's Mansion follows Mario's green-suited brother as he explores a haunted mansion. The game originally launched with Nintendo's next-generation console. Meanwhile, Pikmin, a quasi-real-time strategy game with a Miyamoto touch, details the exploits of a space explorer marooned on an alien planet, and the Lemmings-like creatures he commands to help him find and rebuild his spaceship. The game earned high marks across the board for its original theme and intuitive play style, and a sequel is currently in the works. Finally, Super Smash Bros. Melee, the sequel to the hugely popular N64 fighter of the same name, is presently the Big N's best-selling GameCube title worldwide, and with a full cast of Nintendo mascot fighters, one of the best reasons to own the firm's system.

The announcement of the new Player's Choice titles comes in conjunction with an official press release by Nintendo in which it confirms that beginning February 9 it will offer a free game with the purchase of GameCube. For more details on that, see our story from last week.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383504p1.html

hooray. hopefully it'll be like the ps2 greatest hits, SCEA said they would be $24.99 or $29.99 msrp, but places sold them for $19.99
Old 01-23-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are these prices good starting today or what?!
Old 01-23-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Wow, I thought that they'd milk SSB:M for at least a little while more. Even though it's a launch game, it's still a top 10 sold gamecube game for December. But what am I complaining about, I got mine free at Target (and they might have used those numbers to come up with the high sales of an old game)

It's good news, especially because it tells consumers that they're going to be doing more markdowns in the future, much like PS2 greatest hits. Now only Microsoft hasn't officially followed suit.
Old 01-23-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$20 is the magic number.

At least this is a start.
Old 01-23-03, 05:50 PM

YAY! it's about time. Right after my little rant about GCN launch games still being $50 at most places, this article comes up. Who-hoo!
Old 01-23-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by superboyreturns
YAY! it's about time. Right after my little rant about GCN launch games still being $50 at most places, this article comes up. Who-hoo!
i know, right?! i just made a thread about this! that's freaky timing! maybe they're monitoring this forum.
Old 01-23-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is great ... the last few months have made me a very happy GC owner. Got it for the RE series, got Metroid Prime for Christmas, picked up Blood Rayne, and Eternal Darkness on the cheap this month, and more cheap games to come ... gotta swing by Sam's Club tomorrow and pick up some more stuff cheap.

I had my doubts when I first got my GC, but things are coming together nicely.
Old 01-23-03, 09:05 PM

Nintendo is finally starting to wake up....Best buy has had some damn good prices recently....I just picked up a copy of Beach Spikers for 9.99(its barely worth that) and coming up this week, Tony Hawk 3 will be 9.99(that is definetly worth the cash).....Hopefully more will follow
Old 01-24-03, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by buttaz211
Nintendo is finally starting to wake up....Best buy has had some damn good prices recently....I just picked up a copy of Beach Spikers for 9.99(its barely worth that) and coming up this week, Tony Hawk 3 will be 9.99(that is definetly worth the cash).....Hopefully more will follow
$9.99 for beach spikers? Is this for all BB? I just checked online, and it seems they don't even carry it. Oh and are you saying that game is not even worth 10spot?
Old 01-24-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by zerotl
$9.99 for beach spikers? Is this for all BB? I just checked online, and it seems they don't even carry it. Oh and are you saying that game is not even worth 10spot?
Beachspikers is a very good Volleyball game. I'm not sure why it would be disliked as long as you know what you are getting. Its well worth $10.
Old 01-24-03, 07:42 PM

i bought beach spikers today for $9.99 at bb, worth it, but not that great of a single player game but still worth the 10 bones. If you liked Virtua Tennis, you'll like beach spikers. The girls dont look like the ones in DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball but I don't really care since I havent' really heard good things about the gameplay in that game.