Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Morrowind: PC or XBox??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Morrowind: PC or XBox??

I've been toying with picking this title up but am unsure whether to get it for PC or XBox.

My PC specs are:

Celeron 565
384 MB RAM
32 MB GeForce Mx-2 (PCI)
80 Gigs HD space

The cost difference between buying the game new at Best Buy for PC or used a Blockbuster for XBox is negligible.

I realize the Xbox has the stronger processor and likely better graphics. But the PC offers the option for home-made mods and the like.

Is there a strong enough Morrowind gaming community out there producing add-ons (maps, for ex.) for e game that will make the reduced processor speed and lesser graphics preferrable??

Or should I go for the XBox version?

Also, how does the game play? Is it strictly a turn based RPG or does it hae any action elements to it? The second question is more geared to whether my son will find any use for it as well. Its not really affecting my decision to purchase or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have GCs from Xmas burnng a hole in my pocket, and I would like to get the game before it disappears from the used game shelf.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know about mods, but there is an expansion pack for the pc version (tribunal or something like that).

frankly, i'm a little concerned w/ your pc specs...

it's not turn based. some action. wish there were horses...
Old 01-23-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, my PC specs fall basically in the "barely recommended category....

But, I can work with it if playable and it will be easier to find time on it than the XBox (in my son's room).

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to see if he'll find any enjoyment out if it. He tried and was bored with Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation, for instance.
Old 01-23-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i'd say it was mostly walking... (hence the comment about horses).

you do wander around a lot and hack/slash the bad guys (real-time). you build up your skills by joining a guild/group and doing various quests in addition to your main mission.

i can't say if you're kid's going to like it. at times, i find it extremely tedious.
Old 01-23-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he was bored with FFVII, I don't think he'll like Morrowind at all. It's such a huge game and non-linear that he might find it a little overbearing and tedious.

And whatever benefits it has in the graphics department, you won't get them with the specs on your rig. I have an Athlon XP 2000+ with a GF3 ti200 and 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM, and with all the graphic options turned to max there were some times when it chugged. Comparitively, the XBox version has most of those bells and whistles and has a consistent, albeit slightly lowered, framerate.

So if you're going to get it at all, get it for the XBOX. Those hundreds of hours you'll put into this game will be better suited for the couch, not a computer chair. Your back will thank you later.

Jeremy
Old 01-23-03, 07:40 PM

If your son was bored with FF7 (kinda like an rpg light I guess) then morrowind will not be his cup of tea. Much more akin to the old school pen and paper rpgs from yesteryears than the more cinematic rpgs of today.

But yeah, I used to run a P2 450 with a tnt2 ultra and i didn't even try playin morrowind on my PC (seeing how that barely meets the min specs). Picked it up for the BOX and had a blast. After upgrading to a new rig though I would have to say it looks and plays much better on the PC.
Old 01-23-03, 10:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
With your specs, it's hard to say. The PC version has been patched since the Xbox version came out, and as already noted has several mods and an expansion set behind it. However, it won't look as good on your PC as it would on the Xbox, and may be pretty sluggish.

With either version you're guaranteed a ton of play time however. Huge game even without the expansion.
Old 01-24-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suggest the Xbox version.

I have both versions and I play it on the Xbox the most (200+ hours logged). My PC chugs too much to be enjoyable. Plus I enjoy sitting on the couch playing video games even though I have a nice office chair.

My PC specs:

800MHz PIII (will upgrade only when absolutely necessary)
256MB PC133 RAM (will upgrade to 512MB soon)
32MB GeForce2 Pro (recently replaced with a 128MB GeForce4 Ti4200)
Old 01-24-03, 11:47 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get the X-box version given your specs. They had a feature on this game on Tech TV back before it came out, and the PC version blew the X-box away graphically, but it was an extremely high end computer and they mentioned that you needed a top of the line system to run the game at that level.

But of course the X-box also has the advantage of playing on a comfy couch and a nice tv, instead of sitting at a desk looking at a monitor.
Old 01-24-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The game won't look as good on your PC because your video card doesn't support pixel shaders. The water in this game is some of the best I've seen, but unless you have a card that supports it (GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti), it won't look nearly as good.

It'll prolly run like crap on the PC as well.

I say go with the X-BOX version.
Old 01-24-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since the almosty universal opinion is to go XBox, I"ll pick up the game tonight on my way home.

The sad thing is that I picked this game up over the summer when CompUSA had it on sale for $11.88. Bought it and traded it for another game I hardly play.

Since then, my interest in this game has increased.

Sometimes you just gotta learn to live with your decisions.
Old 01-24-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if it's too late, but I would just hold off on it altogether.

The X-Box version is good, except there's a problem with the save game files. I (and many, many other people... check Bethesda's message boards) had problems with the save game files. Once they get too large, it makes your game start to lock up and get dirty disc errors. After a point, I just got so frustrated that I gave up and sold my copy. The problem is compounded by the fact that the game can never be patched.

The PC version, on the other hand, is wonderful. With the patches installed, the game works perfectly for me. The editor and mod community expands the gameplay tenfold. I'd just be a little too concerned about performance on your computer to recommend it, unfortunately.