Reload this Page >

They're making a Metroid Movie.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-22-03, 09:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, on the bright side I guess it can be anyworse than the Mario movie.

from cube.ign.com:

January 22, 2003 - We all knew it was coming, but now it's official: Samus will star on the silver screen. Today, film industry trade publication Variety is reporting that Zide/Perry Entertainment has obtained the rights to produce the official Metroid movie.
Producers Warren Zide and Craig Perry are best known for their work bringing the American Pie and Final Destination flicks to audiences around the world. The duo is now teaming-up once again to bring the beloved Nintendo franchise into theaters everywhere. Samus now joins the ranks of Mario and Pikachu as Nintendo characters transformed into movie stars.

No release date has been set at this time as the project is still looking to bring writers and directors on board. Variety also mentions vague story details, which Metroid fans can probably already surmise: Metroids are discovered on SR388, and Samus, an intergalactic bounty hunter extraordinaire, is sent in to investigate. She soon encounters the evil Space Pirates and their plan to harness the power of these parasites and dominate the galaxy. Just imagining such a favorite plot unfolding in film form is enough to keep any Metroid fan happy until the movie is finally released.

Stay tuned to IGNcube as we bring you more news and information on this exciting Hollywood project in the near future.
Old 01-22-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, Mario was not made into a movie star. Movie...yes....Star...NO.

Second, who do you think they'l cast as Samus?
Old 01-22-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just going to forget this happened. [shakes head]
Old 01-22-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not this....

They better not!

For the sake of a good reputation do not attempt to ruin a good name a bad one.
Old 01-23-03, 12:22 AM

From the minds that brought you "Glitter" and "Crossroads"...there's a new space-sheriff in town, err--space: Lucy Lawless is Samus Aran out to get the METROIDS :gong sound:

My brain hurts... I think it would be cool to see a CG movie of it...as long as Square isn't involved
Old 01-23-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could see it working.

Important things:

1. I would hope they get the original composer to score the movie. If not, give the movie a SCORE, I am sick and tired of stupid ass MTV Top 10 soundtracks in movies (ie: Spiderman and Spiderman 2: Daredevil).

2. Samus adventures alone.

3. CG Metroids doing Metroid things. I love Metroids they're so cute!
Old 01-23-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
I could see it working.

Important things:

2. Samus adventures alone.
I feel only a fan of Metroid would write this... and somehow, I don't think that's going to happen.

In a perfect world, I'd envision this Metroid movie to be something akin to the feel of Tarkovsky's Stalker. But obviously that would never happen... and we'll end up with sidekicks, evil-doers hell-bent on destroying the galaxy and maybe even a pet of somesort.

..and as far as who should player Samus... my vote's for Bridget Moynahan (the long haired version though).
Old 01-23-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jdpatri
..and as far as who should player Samus... my vote's for Bridget Moynahan (the long haired version though).
That'd be some decent casting... I'd like to see her or maybe Jennifer Garner....

MATT
Old 01-23-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
[hijack] I love how within the hour of posting any news story on IGN it ends up as a thread here at DVDtalk. Like clockwork. The Unofficial IGN Boards. [/hijack]
Old 01-23-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mdc3000
That'd be some decent casting... I'd like to see her or maybe Jennifer Garner....

MATT
I also thought of her.... but I can't really take her seriously enough.
Old 01-23-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
That news unfortunately had a very interesting affect on me. Part of me is saying:
"Wow a Metroid movie, that would be so cool"
and the other part is saying:
"What the Hell! Why are you even getting excited about it"
Maybe I should see a shrink. "muuust kills hobbitsss."
umm.....ignore that one.

It would be cool if WB or FOX would do a cartoon in the vein of Batman
Old 01-23-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually like the idea of a Metroid movie, but i agree that they shouldn't make it an MTV Top Ten movie as pixyboi mentioned. I think that Mila Jovovich would be good, or I actually agree with Lucy Lawless... as long as it isn't cheesy hollywood dialogue like Charlies Angels. They better not have a pet or a sidekick though. That would just be stupid and not in line with the Metroid story. Samus has always worked alone.

-CM-
Old 01-23-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only "side-kick" person should be her CO from the second game. Other than that...did she have a anyone join her in the first game? I'm having trouble remembering the plots of all the games. I thought she and a team of troopers were in a game, but the troopers all died and she was the only one left.
Old 01-23-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should there really be much dialogue?

As for the music, I wholeheartedly agree. We certainly don't need Samus discovering secrets to an Aerosmith song.

And of course, over the credits, we definitely don't need Celine Dion singing "The Metroid in My Heart".

As with Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, and Metroid, I like the idea of a movie, but not if it is screwed up and the spirit of the game is taken out. Video games are about atmosphere as much as gameplay and storyline. Neither the RE or FF movie retained any semblance of the atmosphere of the game.

The only movie even close to what I'm imagining would be Alien. Slow, quiet, with bursts of action and a plot that stresses mystery and discovery, and where knowing your enemy is more important than having a big gun or overused wire stunts.

stoolie
Old 01-23-03, 04:40 PM

I swear if the "sidekicks" are those cuddly little animals from Metroid Fusion I'm going to Unabomb Nintendo headquarters.
Old 01-23-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

while I wouldn't like them as a sidekick I really do like them. And they were in Super Metroid originally.
Old 01-24-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"A mysterious solitary hunter out saving the galaxy from the dreaded Space Pirates encounters a mysterious creature that sucks energy from other living beings."

Sounds like a winner.
Old 01-24-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

as much quality control as Nintendo exerts on their games I'm surprised they will sell the rights to one of their most beloved franchises to be butchered by those Hollywood types.

That is the problem, they could make a great movie but it would not be a typical movie. Hollywood tends to mainstream the video game movies into something that is not recognizable.

Final Fantasy: they stayed away from the sweeping epic with a great story. (I actually liked the movie although it would have been better if it didn't have the Final Fantasy monoker)

RE: they took all the suspense and horror out of it to make a decent action movie but again not in the vein of the video game at all.

Metroid: they would have to have very little dialogue (i still don't really like all the text in Fusion) Make it very dark. Probably would have to make Samus CGI which can be very screwed up ala scorpion king.

Like it or not the best video game movies were probable the Pokemon series: those were exactly in the vein of the video game and did not disappoint their fan base at all (albeit they are little kids)
Old 01-26-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To be honest, Metroid could make a GREAT movie, IMO. The problem is, to make that movie is a risk. It'd be a quiet, observant movie, light on dialogue and very focused on a single character. After loving the new game I actual started thinking how I would make a movie, but unfortunately I doubt a studio will make the movie that way. It'd be a risky venture on its own, not to mention we're talking about a video game movie. God, this could be so cool. Foreign planet, single warrior? It'd be a different type of movie, focused on atmosphere and environment, on exploration. Granted, to make the movie work they need to explore the human character. But, why not explore the idea of a person who...spends a lot of time by herself? We're talking a dark movie, not the happiest thing in the world.

Of course, you know she'll have some plucky sidekicks, evil bad guys, blah blah blah. They'll make something that mildly resembles Metroid, when the actual concept lends itself to quite an interesting feature film, assuming they put the proper amount of money into it. A movie so dependant on atmosphere and environment needs the cash to properly make that world.
Old 01-26-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For a Metroid movie to work, it'd have to be done in a similar manner to Alien, not a whole lot of dialogue, lots of solo screen time for the main character, guddeb plot elements revealed later through discoveries by the main character. Will it be done this way? Almost certainly not which is a shame. As far as Samus, i don't think she'd need to be CG. In the recent Metroid Prime commercial, they used a physical suit mixed with CG enviornments and creatures.
Old 01-26-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Metroid would make a very cool movie, but there's other things I'd rather see made into a movie - Halo, maybe.
Old 01-26-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do love Penny Arcade's take on the glut of video game movies coming out...

Old 01-27-03, 12:20 PM

A Final Fantasy type of CG wouldn't be a bad thing. If its the real thing I put in a vote for Jessica Alba as Samus.
Old 01-28-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My fantasy casting would be the beautfiul, sexy, and tall (just like Samus) Nicole Kidman!

Old 01-28-03, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by dfbennett
For a Metroid movie to work, it'd have to be done in a similar manner to Alien
Metroid always felt like a rip of Alien/Aliens, and now to make a decent movie version of Metroid, it would need to emulate Alien. Which begs the question, whats the point of making the movie?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.