Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

A question to ALL XBOX owners.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Would you install the chip into your XBOX that allows you to play copied games?
I would never even think of opening and modifying my XBOX
64.86%
I have looked into doing this and am considering it.
17.12%
Tell me more and I might.
10.81%
I already have one installed and most my games are copies.
7.21%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

A question to ALL XBOX owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of my friends are doing it and just downloading Xbox games off newsgroups.

My thoughts on piracy are very disparate, but it's summed up as this:

1. If the game rocks, why wouldn't you want to support it with your money? Don't you want more good games being played?

2. If the game sucks, why would you want to play it, even if it's free?
Old 01-15-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Not interested in piracy, thanks. I believe people should get paid for their hard work.
What he said.
Old 01-15-03, 08:51 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do it just to make my Xbox a region free DVDplayer and to play emulators. and Mp3's.

Burning games onto DVD's isnt feasable in my book. not worth the time and money. Some games are even bigger than the 4Gb max DVD-R's.

But to those who "WOULD NEVER" copy a game, I assume you dont have any Mp3's of music you havent purchased.
Old 01-15-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Save Ferris

But to those who "WOULD NEVER" copy a game, I assume you dont have any Mp3's of music you havent purchased.
Nope. I don't. I have a 10gb ipod filled with music from the cds I own.
I was on dial up for so long I never took part of the napster boom. By the time I got highspeed it was too much of a hassle to find sites/programs to get mp3's from.
besides, I'm anal. I like to collect. I like having a wall of cds all lined up pretty in a row.
Old 01-15-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

I have MAME for my computer and a media player on my computer as well, so don't need it for that stuff.

I really don't see any reason to hack the box unless you are an piracy person.

I have yet to find a computer that had as good of a tv out as the Xbox. Now I have a digital projector, so the computer will now fit properly on the screen, but on my tv there is underscan (black border around the picture) to deal with. Plus the Xbox boots up much faster. It also works well for company, sitting on the couch with xbox controllers rather than a pc. This even prompted me to get the X-Arcade joystick. I don't want to be doing this at my desk.

I actually have 2 xboxes so I could still use Xbox Live. My modded one got banned after the beta was over. That may have been a waste since I haven't been using my Live account much lately.
Old 01-15-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I think I would rephrase the question as:

But to those who "WOULD NEVER" copy a game, I assume you dont have any Mp3's of music you have purchased.

If people have no qualms of backing up purchased music I see no reason for qualms of backing up purchased video games.

I would get a mod chip if I wasn't too lazy and had more time. I'd like to install a larger hard drive and copy all of my games to it so I don't have to get up off my couch to change games, but I'm too lazy to be extremely lazy.
Old 01-15-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
A lot of my friends are doing it and just downloading Xbox games off newsgroups.

My thoughts on piracy are very disparate, but it's summed up as this:

1. If the game rocks, why wouldn't you want to support it with your money? Don't you want more good games being played?

2. If the game sucks, why would you want to play it, even if it's free?
yeah, I remember when you could first get movies off newsgroups. I would never download even remotely good movies because I wanted to watch them at a decent quality level. So I just downloaded the ones that sucked. Then one day I sat back thinking, why am I wasting my time watching all of these sucky movies? I guess it was just because they were there. I have since seen the light though and don't waste my time anymore.

But to be on topic, I probably wouldn't mod a box because I don't really have any use for a modded box. No need for game copies, music storage, etc etc. I do all the media stuff on my PC.
Old 01-15-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll admit that I have copied games and lots of mp3s. BUT, I also have MANY MANY purchased games and CDs, etc.

Seriously, if somebody came to my house and wanted to check if I had all the stuff I had on mp3 on CD, they'd look at all the CDs and vinyl I own and just say "**** it, you've given us enough money!" I have 2 shelves full of DVDs. I have so many video games, I'd probably have to look in every room of the apartment to gather them all.

I think the real problem are the little kids that do nothing BUT download games/movies/music and would never buy any of them cause they can just leech off thier parent's DSL modem and never leave the basement.

Edit: my 4000th post.. *tear* God bless the internet at work.
Old 01-15-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here's another thought about piracy -
when I was young, living with my parents, going to school, and had no job, I was dependent on my parents for income. they didn't want me to "waste" time playing games, so they didn't buy me any. The only way for me to play was to copy games from friends. It was either that or not playing games at all.

Now that I have a job and can afford the things I want, I buy all the games I want to play and have no intention of copying any. But what if I wasn't able to copy games when I was younger? Perhaps my interest in gaming would have decreased since I was unable to play for so long... and then when I got older and could afford to buy games, I would choose not to buy or play any games at all.

All the games I played when I was younger were on the PC since you couldn't copy console games what with their cartridges and all. So although all my friends had consoles, and I desperately wanted to play them at home, I couldn't. So when I got older it took me a long, long time before I warmed up to console games again. And it's not surprising that I tend to like "PC-style" games rather than "console-style" games. I have a PS2 and Xbox. But no intention of getting a Gamecube, because Nintendo games don't interest me. Maybe it's because I was unable to play Nintendo games when I was little.

Now music on the other hand... I think it's a scam that I have to buy a full album full of 10-15 songs that are junk and only one song that I like. If I could pay for that one song I like, I would. But I can't. So I'll just download that one song off the net for free. If the music industry gave the public better options, it wouldn't have to worry so much about piracy.
Old 01-15-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
If the music industry gave the public better options, it wouldn't have to worry so much about piracy.
If the music industry gave the public the option of buying individual songs the musicians would have to make sure every song they wrote were worth buying. That would be an interesting future.
Old 01-15-03, 02:49 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

One thing i'll admit: I downloaded a full copy of Men IN Black 2 when it hit the theaters. Yes it was a lame camcorder copy. BUT, from viewing this piece of crap online, it saved me money from going to see it in the theaters or a rental. money i saved and i certainally wouldnt of ever bought this movie. If i downloaded a movie i liked i woul buy the dvd/ go see it in the theaters.

If it was easy to do this with a game (it isnt yet) I would preview games this way.
Old 01-15-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Xanager
yeah, I remember when you could first get movies off newsgroups. I would never download even remotely good movies because I wanted to watch them at a decent quality level.
That's why I usually only take the Screener ones. I've got the most perfect copy of LOTR TTT DVD screener rip.
Old 01-15-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't ever really download movies to preview them. If I do that is lessens the experience when I watch a movie on good quality. I'm not getting the most possible enjoyment out of a film because I already know what is going to happen.

When I watch a good movie for the first time. I want it to be in good quality, and I don't want to know anything about it except the basic plot.
Old 01-15-03, 06:16 PM

Getting Soul Calibur 6 months early is enough incentive for anyone to mod their system
Old 01-15-03, 09:35 PM

I currently use the XBox as my model when building MAME cabinets for friends. For $200 you get a system that can run any MAME, NeoGeo, CPS1/CPS2 game. Package that in a nice cab with an X-Arcade/Hotrod and a USB to PS2 joystick convertor. Very good setup for gaming entertainment, plus it plays MP3's, XBox games and DVD's woohoo
Old 01-15-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking into it. I have a friend who has done it and has a DVD burner, so really, it's just the cost of the chip holding me back. I figure the next time I want an XBox game, I'll buy the chip instead.

That's not to say I don't buy games, quite the contrary. However, I simply cannot afford to buy all the games I'd like to play. I buy the ones I really enjoy. The rest fall into the category of "fun to play, but not worth $50." It's just like pirating MP3s. Some CDs I buy because I really enjoy them and want to support the artist. There's some songs I enjoy, but I don't get enough enjoyment out of them to justify the purchase of a $20 CD (assuming that's the only good song on the CD).
Old 01-16-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

look at all the CDs and vinyl I own and just say "**** it, you've given us enough money
that is the problem, they wouldnt say "ok" you are a good customer, they would say "**** you" you stole all those mp3's, you should have bought more, given us more money, so are profits could be higher.
Old 01-16-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by einTier
I'm looking into it. I have a friend who has done it and has a DVD burner, so really, it's just the cost of the chip holding me back. I figure the next time I want an XBox game, I'll buy the chip instead.

I simply cannot afford to buy all the games I'd like to play. I buy the ones I really enjoy. The rest fall into the category of "fun to play, but not worth $50." It's just like pirating MP3s. Some CDs I buy because I really enjoy them and want to support the artist. There's some songs I enjoy, but I don't get enough enjoyment out of them to justify the purchase of a $20 CD (assuming that's the only good song on the CD).
Exact same case here. I just bought Halo ($25 brand new), but most games are not worth $40-50.
Old 01-16-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shuki
even that DVD screener sucks!
Not the one I have.
Old 01-16-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

deleted my earlier post but didn't see your reply here You're right, just got a sample and now working on the movie!! quality definitely does not suck... tdi version that is.. but anyway.. back on topic
Old 01-16-03, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
when it is as easy to mod and copy xBox games as the original playstation is, i will mod it, and copy games.

until then, i will continue to buy the games i want.
You should always buy the games you want, not steal them.

It's sad, people have no values anymore.

DW
Old 01-16-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by einTier

That's not to say I don't buy games, quite the contrary. However, I simply cannot afford to buy all the games I'd like to play. I buy the ones I really enjoy. The rest fall into the category of "fun to play, but not worth $50." It's just like pirating MP3s. Some CDs I buy because I really enjoy them and want to support the artist. There's some songs I enjoy, but I don't get enough enjoyment out of them to justify the purchase of a $20 CD (assuming that's the only good song on the CD).
That is silly logic. If you like filet mignon but don't want to pay that much for it, would you shoplift it? Also, games rarely stay at $50, especially if you buy them used, so you don't have to pay $50 for any game if you don't want to.

If you're going to copy games, that is your prerogative. However trying to justify it is lame.
Old 01-16-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by juiio
That is silly logic. If you like filet mignon but don't want to pay that much for it, would you shoplift it? Also, games rarely stay at $50, especially if you buy them used, so you don't have to pay $50 for any game if you don't want to.

If you're going to copy games, that is your prerogative. However trying to justify it is lame.
He says he buys games that he really enjoys, so he probably wouldn't shoplift a filet mignon. He would shoplift the round or T-bone that's priced at filet mignon prices
Old 01-17-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by juiio
Also, games rarely stay at $50, especially if you buy them used, so you don't have to pay $50 for any game if you don't want to.
Yeah, the used ones are $45.
Old 01-17-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Snowmaker
Yeah, the used ones are $45.
What game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.