Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

Old 01-14-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SO what are the rules for NOT IT?

BTW: I consider Fathead a fair gamer, and not a cheat.
Old 01-14-03, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by goLUCKY
SO what are the rules for NOT IT?

BTW: I consider Fathead a fair gamer, and not a cheat.
I was waiting for you or Kbrownell to chime in, I have played a few games with you guys.

It is apparent that you CAN NOT blast away at ANYONE that is NOT "IT".

Doing so is in effect violating a game rule, placeing you in violation of the TOS for XBL. Scary

Moral of this story, I really didn't think I was doing anything "wrong", only a non traditional strategy at the worst. But I am apparently wrong.

But the whole, "I'M GONNA GIVE YOU NEGATIVE FEEDBACK AND GET YOU BANNED FROM XBL, AND HAVE YOUR XBOX TAKEN AWAY ALONG WITH YOUR BIRTHDAY AND FIRST BORN!" does not hold much water either. I just called the line for the "feedback". It is primaraly used for people who are EXTREMELY abusive with their headsets with excessive profanity, threats, and racist comments. And even then, you need ALOT of negative feedback.

So in a word, I COULD, in theory, continue doing what I was doing, and have no problems. Maybe if enough people complained (and I don't play enough to get that many people pissed enough to actually get off their a$$es, find the number, and call on me) you would get a warning. But I will not continue with that strategy.

Reason being, I do not take my gaming seriously, as another poster in this thread took that to mean that I should not play. I don't care about my ranking, I work with government contracts for 8 hours a day, its kinda boreing, its long, and intence. I want to game to unwind and have fun, converse with interesting people, and relax. I enjoy the XBL, and the people I play with. If I am taking away from someone elces fun, I am, in my own opinion, not playing right.

Thats why I started this thread. To figure out, if I indeed was doing something wrong.

Last edited by FatHead316; 01-14-03 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 10:55 AM

Sounds like something that could have been nipped in the bud with an apology. I agree, there are lots of strategies for playing MEchassault games and on some servers, your approach would have been fine. But, you also have to admit that it's possible that others will not like your strategy.

When confronted with that situation (where I've pissed someone off inadvertantly) an apology usually suffices. Whether or not you thought you actually did something wrong, it might just be a safer bet to apologize and lay off, then find a new server. Talk to people before the match starts and see if people will have a problem with your methods.

I will admit though, the best XBOX LIVE games are ones where I find an "enemy" to compete with or go after. Especially in MotoGP. I love getting into bumping matches with other racers and going after specific guys (like ones that take out my buddies). Do I start the bumping? NO. I even apologize if I hit someone. That is until someone else starts something, then it's game-on, and the fun begins.

Same thing with Mechassault, you find someone that's being a d!ck and go after them. Instead of whining that you weren't playing fair, I would have just made it my job to go after you. More fun than feedback and it jacks up the competition.
Old 01-14-03, 11:31 AM

Mech Assault: Not It! Player's Forum
Unofficial Rules
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "official" description of "Not it", according to the booklet included with the game, calls "Not It" a "free for all" (This booklet also says the Madcat is a 100 ton mech). We, the top players of Not it, couldn't disagree more! There is definitely an organized way to play the game that creates civility and yet at the same time benefits the player.

Just follow these simple rules:

Go after the "It" mech (you know, the one with the yellow arrow over its head)
Score points (points are ONLY registered by killing the "It" mech and getting kills while you are "It").
Any player not "It", shooting you or anyone else, (after a warning/quick explaination) is fair game to be regulated (destroyed mercilessly) unless their behavior stops.
4. Mercy kills should only be given when they are requested, and even then, only when the requesting mech is reasonably far enough away from "It" (if you are close to the "It" mech, you should be shooting "It," not stealing his points. Besides... why not kill "It" and then get credit for the mercy kill?) If you act on your own, be warned, you are fair game for revenge. You become "It" by getting a kill shot, not by how much health you have.
"Tenderizing" mechs is also subject to reprisal shots: Aside from unacceptable behavior, this is also poor strategy. Weakening or gimping a mech does you little good if you're not "It" (a mech gains full health and powerups when it becomes "It"), and you won't become "It" while shooting other mechs. All you've done is hand the "It" mech an easy kill. Kill the "It" mech, then go after the gimped mech... it works out much better for you.
These are pretty much the de facto standards. I hope this helps. I personally don't find any problems with the softening of Mechs that are in the lead (that are not it).
Old 01-14-03, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by finbogg

I will admit though, the best XBOX LIVE games are ones where I find an "enemy" to compete with or go after. Especially in MotoGP. I love getting into bumping matches with other racers and going after specific guys (like ones that take out my buddies). Do I start the bumping? NO. I even apologize if I hit someone. That is until someone else starts something, then it's game-on, and the fun begins.

Same thing with Mechassault, you find someone that's being a d!ck and go after them. Instead of whining that you weren't playing fair, I would have just made it my job to go after you. More fun than feedback and it jacks up the competition.
I could not agree more.
Old 01-14-03, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by goLUCKY
These are pretty much the de facto standards. I hope this helps. I personally don't find any problems with the softening of Mechs that are in the lead (that are not it).
Damn it Lucky, now I am back to being right. These are rules made up by the players, and are not official.

To break it down to a much lower level.

When you were kids, playing tag, and you get tagged and the person tags you back, you call "no backsies". Not an official rule, but abopted by some.

Perhaps some of you more hardliners can see why I have had such a problem understanding that I have done something "wrong". The entire time is sounded like an Urban Legond type rule.

And where is that fourm?

Last edited by FatHead316; 01-14-03 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:45 PM

NOT IT Mech Assault Players Forum

Here are some reasons why not to atttack other players during NOT IT!
by Funky Munky on forums.xbox.com
okay, i won't re-type the rules, but i can cut and paste. really, the rules are set by the host. if you can't play the way the host wants, then move onto another room before the game starts. the only hard and fast rule is try and become It. beyond that there is only strategy, and this is what i, and others, have said before:

1) By shooting the person who you think will be It next you are helping the It player. How? First, you are not attacking the It player, thus making ther job easier. Second, if you force someone else to defend themselves, that takes a second person away from shooting the It player. assuming these two people aren't "regulating" or being "regulated" that means that the It player now has two damaged targets to go after. In addition, it will take longer for the It player to be killed and therefore allow them a greater opportunity to kill someone else (be it you and your opponent or not).

2) Assuming that the person you are shooting does become IT, they get full health anyway. Yes, i am well aware that this is not always the case, but it happens far more often than it fails to. So now all you have done is succeeded in pissing that person off. that person who ust got full health in addition to full weapons upgrades.

3) how are you supposed to determine who is going to be It next? it is really a crap shoot for who is going to be It next since everyone in the game ought to be shooting at it. all you do by not shooting it is giving someone a better opportunity than you to get that wonderful arrow that we all love and hate.

4) say that person you are shooting does become It, and someone has been using the same strategy as you. they begin shooting you as soon as the other person becomes It. now you are screwed the same way as the poor sap that was being shot by you.

i think that you would be hard-pressed to find a fault with any of these reasons for only shooting the It mech, and that is why so many of the good Not It! players only do.