Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who can't beat Madden?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon! I'm so frustrated. The ROOKIE level is too easy, while Pro and All-Pro are ridiculous. Last night I played the Saints on All-Pro and they scored three touchdowns on five plays. When I finally came back in the fourth quarter, I suddenly had a fumble and they scored on the next play.

If I see the CPU score another 70 yard TD on a throw into triple coverage I'm going to scream.
Old 01-07-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes
Old 01-07-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

Madden? That old fat dude? I'd beat him so bad his grandkids would be limping for a week!

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 01-08-03 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-07-03, 01:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, I find it hard to play straight up pass defense. When I first got the game, I played online with my Steelers and was getting smoked by pass happy players. I switched to the Dolphins and ran nickel under smoke almost exclusively on passing downs and I started to win.

I figured, if the game is going to make it hard to defend a pass with prevent defenses then I'm going to make it hard on the passer by getting pressure. Worked so far.
Old 01-07-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what, the CPU can pass on..of course, the steerlers.

I try nickle, dime, quarter
I try man, zone, and blitzes

The computer can seem to throw at will, into triple coverage, and then break several tackles for a huge gain.

BTW, the same goes for the mini-camp. Cruises through easy, went pro and I can't score over 60 in the swat-ball. Any tips?
Old 01-07-03, 02:54 PM

Yeah, Madden on Pro gets really tough, especially if your going to try and play with a mediocre team (like the Vikes or Steelers). NFL 2k3 isn't much better.

Gone are the days of the arcade football games, unless you want to play NFL Blitz.

I remember the good old days of Madden when you could score at will (back on the Genesis). Now you actually have to call the right plays on defense (protect against pass or run), have to punt on fourth downs and can't bail yourself out with a hail mary pass.

Now that games are more realistic, they've gotten lot harder for the casual football fan and are not as much fun IMO.
Old 01-08-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Am I the only one whoe can't beat Madden?

Old 01-10-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jon-w9
BTW, the same goes for the mini-camp. Cruises through easy, went pro and I can't score over 60 in the swat-ball. Any tips?
You think that's bad, wait til you manage to make it to the All-Madden one. (just finally beat that one)

Just a matter of being on the ball and going for an INT every time.

Now for the impossibility that is the All-Madden Pocket Presence drill...
Old 01-10-03, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WildcatLH

Now for the impossibility that is the All-Madden Pocket Presence drill...
Piece of cake.

I can't believe you guys are having trouble on freaking PRO!
Old 01-10-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Piece of cake.
I've had 440 two different times. I'll get to 550-600 or so... then about 5 balls will come at me at once, they'll all hit me, and my score will plummet.

I've now finished all drills except the All-Madden Pocket Presence and Trench Fight drills, and the All-Pro and All-Madden Precision Passing drills (I hate that one)
Old 01-15-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got bronze on the DB drill, but to get the card I need to get gold.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I mean it seems like they go to the top (deepesest) guy, than the short guy and back to the top. There is no way I can make it back ond forth in time to swat, let alone intercept.

And yes, I am fearing All-Madden
Old 01-19-03, 06:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by jon-w9
I got bronze on the DB drill, but to get the card I need to get gold.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I mean it seems like they go to the top (deepesest) guy, than the short guy and back to the top. There is no way I can make it back ond forth in time to swat, let alone intercept.

And yes, I am fearing All-Madden
It takes a little bit of practice but it's not too hard with a little luck... (not much luck though).

Use the turbo button to sprint across to each tackle dummy.

When it goes to the deepest one use the swat ball button instead of the catch button, you'll have a better shot at defending the pass.

When it throws deep then short immediately after that, don't go chase it all the way, stop and strafe in front of the middle tackle dummy to give you the best shot at getting the next pass.

The only ones I haven't gotten gold on all-madden are the precision passing, punt, and field goal drills. The situations are a lot easier for me to do than the drills.
Old 01-19-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rookie is totally a peice of cake and the same with pro. when went from rookie to pro, I was like oh man this is hard but after a few games I just killed the pro and same thing when I went from pro to all-pro. all madden is pretty hard though. I still win, but i still lose too.

I just hate when the computer does short quick passes. I can stop the deep ball easy but those short ones are hard to deflect sometimes.
Old 01-24-03, 09:26 AM

My favorite team is the Titans. If I play using the Titans I can't win. If you use the Raiders or Rams you can win. I have no trouble on defense. I can usually stop the other team no matter who they are. It's a little frustrating though when you sack them and have them 3rd down and 16 or more and they get the first down with a long pass when your in deep coverage.
Old 01-24-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sold my copy of this game, due to the fact that I can't play video football anymore.

It's gotten too complicated for me to be fun anymore
Old 01-24-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
I sold my copy of this game, due to the fact that I can't play video football anymore.

It's gotten too complicated for me to be fun anymore
I have to admit I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did on the SNES. Its gotten more realistic, but at the same time a lot less fun.
Old 01-25-03, 12:33 AM
Banned

I love the game. I find it very challenging. I started a Bengals rebuilding process, and it's going pretty fine. In my 3rd year. (First: 8-8, Second: 3-13, Third: 5-3). Chad Pennington is my QB, as I traded Takeo Spikes (Last year of Contract, asking for too much money) and a draft pick for Pennington and a decent young Cornerback. Now, after two years of the draft, I've got myself a great young WR to go side by side with Warrick and Johnson. Therefore, allowing me to trade Darnay Scott for some defensive help (Dre Bly, and another). After my first season, Corey Dillion retired because of a Career ending injury, that hurt alot (explaining the bad 2nd season record, plus I was learning Chad Pennington that year). So, I drafted a replacement, and he has been doing superb. Came close to winning the Rookie Offense Player last year. I am happy with my franchise, and feel that the game is loads of fun.

I play on All Pro, with hard/realistic sliders.
Old 01-25-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Play the Three Deep (Quarter) defense...it's surprisingly good against the run. Before the snap, push your coverage back. It'll stop the run and the pass, but you have to get some pressure with your line.