Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo to hold press conference in NYC on Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Possible Nintendo GC out of Hardware Business !!!
The Gamecube is a console. It never was in the hardware, or any other, business.
Old 01-07-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrglass
My interpretation:
"Based on my familiarity with Nintendo's previous business tactics, I would ascertain that this announcement is not anything that the gaming community does not already know."
Old 01-07-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Possible Nintendo GC out of Hardware Business !!!
I guess this is a slap in the face to all those speculations

Old 01-07-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I even put in a sarcastic reply of Nintendo leaving consoles, and someone still said it...
Old 01-07-03, 11:03 AM

Game Boy Advance SP

News Article: Game Boy Advance SP Details!
News Date: 01/07/2003
Source: USA Today / Steven Kent
Link: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techrev...game-boy_x.htm
Fresh from the mouth of the foremost videogame journalist comes the details about Nintendo's update to the popular handheld ...

Lighted (front light, like the AfterBurner), Flip-Up Screen
Light is able to be turned off
Rechargeable battery pack included 10 hours with the light on, 18 with the light off
Clamshell design, folds into a 3-inch square, an inch thick
Roughly half the size of the previous GBA
$99 Price Tag
On US Shelves March 23rd
More details coming soon.
Old 01-07-03, 11:05 AM
Retired

That wasn't much of an annoucememnt. Maybe the "megaton" is still coming.
Old 01-07-03, 11:06 AM

Nice design though! I am gonna get one!
Old 01-07-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That wasn't much of an annoucememnt.
Well for the amount of people that complain about the GBA being too dark and having too small of a screen... many who were even holding off on buying one just because of this... it's a major announcement.

Damn, and I just bought one recently... to upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.
Old 01-07-03, 11:20 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
From Planetgamecube.com
News Article: Game Boy Advance SP - The Press Release
News Date: 01/07/2003
Official words from the press conference in New York.
NINTENDO SHEDS NEW LIGHT

Edgy New Game Boy Advance SP Takes Portable Game Play Anywhere

NEW YORK, Jan. 7, 2003 - The biggest star in the history of video games is getting even brighter. Nintendo of America Inc. today announces the introduction of Game Boy® Advance SP, a redesigned version of the wildly popular Game Boy Advance. The system has a new illumination feature and sleek flip-screen design making it the most distinctively stylish, compact and portable Game Boy system ever.

The Game Boy Advance SP will become an instant "must-have " gadget when it launches in North America March 23, 2003, for an estimated retail price of $99.95. It will launch in two colors: cobalt (metallic) and platinum.

Building on the significant improvements and refinements already introduced in the current Game Boy Advance, the new Game Boy Advance SP features a revolutionary Front Light Screen making game play easy in any lighting condition. The system is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery good for about 10 hours of game play and takes only three hours to recharge. Amazingly, the battery life increases to approximately 18 hours of continuous play when the Front Light Screen is turned off.

All current and future Game Boy Advance games are compatible with the new system. And, similarly, Game Boy Advance SP is backward compatible, allowing use with virtually all games and accessories previously released in the Game Boy line.

"Both Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP reflect the best the video game market has ever seen in hand-held gaming," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "For those who must have the latest in technology and edgy design, Game Boy Advance SP delivers the ultimate in portable gaming. "

Nintendo will continue to manufacture and market its current, successful Game Boy Advance system, which has now sold-through more than 11.5 million units in North America alone since its launch a little more than a year ago.

Since its introduction in 1989, Nintendo's portable Game Boy line has sold more than one-half billion games worldwide, delivering a depth and quality of game play far beyond that offered by any other portable electronics device, such as Personal Digital Assistants (PDA's) or mobile phones.

As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co. Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home video game systems. The systems include Game Boy®, Nintendo® 64, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube™. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.6 billion video games worldwide, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario™ and Donkey Kong® and launching such franchises as Zelda™ and Pokémon®. As a wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere.

Reported by: Billy Berghammer
Old 01-07-03, 11:32 AM

Looks like in the UK this morning officially announced Mario Kart.
http://www.game2extreme.com/news/art...articleid=1121
Old 01-07-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The biggest star in the history of video games is getting even brighter.
You gotta love press releases.
Old 01-07-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmmm... a $100 portable GBA that I'll never use as a portable or the $40 gizmo that Ninny is releasing soon that will let me play all GBA games on my TV via my GC. wow, tough decision there. 2.5" screen vs 35" screen... 1 micro watt sound vers 1 kilowatt sound. Its good that ninny is upgrading the GBA with a light, but for gamers like me, the GBA-on-GC adapter is the better deal.

j
Old 01-07-03, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
Looks like in the UK this morning officially announced Mario Kart.
http://www.game2extreme.com/news/art...articleid=1121
That counts as a megaton for me. Excellent. Why am I such a freak about this game. Gotta love it.
Old 01-07-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"My guess knowing Nintendo never nothing more some small update to something we already have."

LOL you guys never had to communicate with anyone that has MS or neurologic disease. I had my sister read this and she said it was one of my better attempts too.

She saids add words "its" after Nintendo and word " then" after more, and anyone could understand it. So poo on you! hehe

Far as annoucement I would havve loved to been wrong.
Poor typical Nintendo, we still love you though.
Old 01-07-03, 07:48 PM

Yippy for Nintendo!
Old 01-07-03, 09:50 PM
zig

MEGATON revealed

I didn't think this was worth starting a whole topic about, but for anyone who's wondering, they finally revealed what the megaton is.

And in closing, we’d just like to point out that despite the connections that will be drawn, GBA SP is not the fabled, rumoured, hyped and generally fantastical ‘megaton announcement’. As V-Jump, the magazine which started the fuss (before over-zealous Western news websites leapt on it, blew it out of proportion and then attempted to trademark it), has finally unveiled, the so-called megaton announcement is little more than a Cube version of a comic popular with V-Jump’s readers. So there you go.
http://gamesindustry.biz/content_pag...e=pub&aid=1081

Personally, I found this to be hilarious. All that hype.. for what ends up being a comic in some magazine.
Old 01-07-03, 11:05 PM

Re: MEGATON revealed

Originally posted by zig
Personally, I found this to be hilarious. All that hype.. for what ends up being a comic in some magazine.
Well, a game based on a comic anyway.

"than a Cube version of a comic"

-CM-
Old 01-07-03, 11:19 PM

lol internet journalism at its finest! (or worst for that matter )

I actually heard that some of the V-Jump games are pretty good, One Piece: Treasure battle was a fairly decent game, and it looks pretty good in motion too. This megaton thing is so funny, i seriously think some people were expecting Nintendo to resurect the second coming of God.

Still the new gba is pretty megaton in my book, i didn't see that one coming, nor the 5 capcom games.

One thing though, it sure got a lot of free publicity for Nintendo .
Old 01-08-03, 12:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Old 01-08-03, 02:25 AM

Kinda wierd looking.

http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/...gbasp_game.jpg