Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Let Down By The Chamber of Secrets ( Spoilers )

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so interested in buying this game but something inside saved me at the last minute and covinced me to buy it. About 6 hours later here I am done with it and thrilled that I didn't spend my cash on it.

I have never had the camera work against me in a game like it did in this one. Sure I've had problems before but never as bad as this.

There were times where I was jumping on bookcases and I wasn't able to see where I was jumping to. It was like a scene from The Last Crusade where I just lept and hoped I would land anywhere but the ground.

There also seemed to be so many treasure chests and doors that I still couldn't open after getting right up to the end of the game. It made no sense to me to make doors and lock them all up for the entire game. If you couldn't open a door just make it a solid wall instead.

Did I mention bad camera angles?

And why give you a broom to fly with outside if you can walk to all the places you need to go. Flying actaully takes longer than walking.

I hadn't watched the movie yet so I guess renting the 5.00 game was cheaper than my wife and I going to see the movie. I still plan on buying the movie later on and while I didn't like the game at all after it was over I did think the story was good and I'm sure it was done WAY better in movie form.
Old 01-06-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Franchise video games = Bad video games.

It's a law as consistant as gravity as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-06-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's a decent game ... especially since it incorporates portions of story from the books as well as the movies.
Old 01-06-03, 09:28 PM
Banned

I thought it was a decent game. As for bad camera angles, they have those in just about every game. Especially the heavily-praised Devil May Cry.
Old 01-06-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I felt that if you have a game where jumping needed to play an important role here and there......you need to make sure the player can see where they are jumping.

After the bookcase boss I had a heck of a time jumping onto the last platform to get the book. It would of been much better if I could do mover than pivot the cam.

It could of been a really good game, not worth 50.00 but still pretty good. It was the little flaws that caused it to drive me nuts.
Old 01-07-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm assuming you're playing the GC version (sounds like it anyway). I too am having problems with the camera angles (only sometimes does the Y button help). However, I am thoroughly enjoying it. The game actually play close to the books than the movies have in many respects which is also fun.

Could it be that some of the things you can't open are because of the spell you couldn't purchase from Fred and George's shop? Either THAT or those doors/items may be part of the "secrets" that you can only unlock by linking with the GBA version (read that linking them opens secrets in both games otherwise inaccessible).
Old 01-07-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Well, LOTR the Two Towers kind of debunks that movie license videogame theory for me. I also thought Spiderman was decent.

HP Chamber of Secrets is mainly a game that will appeal to those that enjoy the books and the movie... I can't see anyone enjoying this without prior experience to the world of HP. It's a decent game on it's own, but short and the camera is pretty bad... but it does a pretty good job getting the atmosphere right. It's one of the better licensed games, in my opinion. I have the GC version, by the way, used from Blockbuster.

The problem with having to link up the GBA version to unlock certain areas: the GBA version stinks. I really wish companies would use the GBA/GC link for more than making people buy two games to get the most out of it. For instance, I think Animal Crossing is still the best example of the link being used (though it did make me spend money on the ereader and AC cards...)
Old 01-07-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was playing the XBOX version actually. Went and tried to rent the GC but all they had left was XBOX ones.

The linking feature for the GC was a good idea that is just screwing the consumer. I bought the link cable and so far AC is the only game I've tried. No way do I want to buy a ton of GBA games so I can tinker with my GC games more. It's not something that I can afford to do and I waste lots of money on my hobbies.
Old 01-07-03, 03:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you hate doors that can't be opened, stay away from GTA3.

Actually, I just started playing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and there are a TON of unopenable doors in that game too. Plus you have to sit through animation of Buffy trying the door and making a quip each time. It was amusing the the first 50 times.
Old 01-07-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it is my understanding that the game contains different tasks, etc. depending on the platform - XBox, GC, PC, GBA or PS2. When I got the EA email about the title, the subject line said something like 5 different adventures. Dunno. I remember reading a review that griped about one platform specifically (think it was PS2), but I can't find it. I like the GC version myself.
Old 01-07-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
If you hate doors that can't be opened, stay away from GTA3
Now I think my door opening problem goes away when I play a game as large and open as GTA3 & GTA:VC. I disliked GTA:VC but not cause I couldn't open doors. That was a whole other problem there.