Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LOTR: Two Towers XBOX

Old 01-04-03, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTR: Two Towers XBOX

Has anyone played Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers? How does it compare to "Fellowship?"
Old 01-04-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's totally different game play than Fellowship
Old 01-04-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how is it compared to the ps2 version? Isn't it just a port? If so is it done well? Is it fun? Is it worth getting or renting?
Old 01-04-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Gamecube version received very good reviews from EGM...there was also an article in EGM on Two Towers by the developer. They also noted how different this game was from Fellowship in terms of quality of play. I may have to pick this up....

My step-son has the PS2 version and says it is very good in the graphics and gameplay department.
Old 01-04-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The article in this months EGM for Two Towers is the PS2 followup to Fellowship (based on the book).They did however give the movie based version a pretty good writeup.

I bought this game the other day and it is a bit challenging at times and pretty short (5-9 hours for each character) but, it has a great presentation and contains alot of fast paced fun. It definetly reminds me alot of the old Golden Axe series from sega.
It is basically a exact port of the PS2 version with some small differences. Some say the load times are alot less for XBOX, and there are less jaggies in the Xbox version.
Old 01-04-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IGN gave it a 7.7 for the XBox I think, I don't have Insider. But they ranked the PS2 version higher. Anyone know what their main problem with the game was?

Jeremy
Old 01-04-03, 02:34 PM

The biggest knock against the PS2 version was that it was too short (5 hours or so).
Old 01-04-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

heres some tidbits from the review :

Closing Comments
A couple of months ago, EA released Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers on PS2. The game looked stunning on Sony's console and I couldn't wait for the port over to Xbox. Having heard so many good things, I expected a lot from The Two Towers, but I'm somewhat disappointed in this decent beat-em-up, which comes with far too many limitations and nagging annoyances to be worthy of quite such high praise that's been thrown around. It's good, it's fun, and if you enjoyed the first two Lord of the Rings movies, you'll probably dig it. But The Two Towers is more a case of "Oh wow, they made a decent licensed game" than "it's innovative and fantastic to play." Buying the Xbox version gets you nothing extra except better sound. The graphics aren't even improved and on Xbox, they look a little weak. If you've got extra holiday cash, you may wanna check this one out, but don't go selling off your copy of Splinter Cell in hopes for something better. The Two Towers is good, but not great.

Presentation
Great use of a movie license with music, cut-scenes, and voice-overs pulled directly from the two films. 8.0

Graphics
Good lighting, good character models, but some ugly faces and a general lack of Xbox oomf hurt. 7.0

Sound
Great music and voices, but a real shame that there are so many hiccups in the soundtrack. How hard is it to stream a score properly? 7.0

Gameplay
Action, action, action. Little story, no RPG or adventure elements, and an endless supply of button-mashing. Fun, but the license could have been exploited for an even better experience. 7.0

Lasting Appeal
A short adventure the first time through, if you play through with all three characters (plus an unlockable character), you'll easily put in 15-20 hours. 7.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 7.6

Oh and as far as the 'hiccups' go, Ive only noticed them maybe 3-4 times during the whole game, and they arent as bad as they make it seem. The DD 5.1 sound is great.
Old 01-04-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so wonder which console is best if all were same price.... ? PS2, GCN or xbox.... If xbox ]really isn't any better than PS2, I'll pick up a PS2 for about half the price.... Wish someone here had first hand experience..
Old 01-04-03, 04:39 PM
Suspended

My main complaint about this game is that there is no feedback for making contact with enemies. There's no solid "whack" like you get in Final Fight or any similar beat'em up. This makes it sometimes hard to tell if you're hitting an enemy or not, and is just not as satisfying.
Old 01-04-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like I said originally, the only main difference between PS2 and Xbox is 5.1 dd sound for xbox, less loading time, and less jaggies, other than that they are the same. Not sure about the Cube version though.