Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is using a controller with a Turbo/Macro button considered cheating?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Is using a controller with a Turbo/Macro button considered cheating?
Yes
57.14%
No
42.86%
Only if twikoff gives his approval...
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 07:16 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts

Here's why I'm asking this...

I've been playing StarFox Adventures (with my WaveBird) for the last few weeks and having a really good time, but I got stuck. I had a lot of trouble trying to beat Musclefoot in the Lightfoot Village, and I was itching for my 3rd controllers I use to have, 'cause they had turbo buttons. I hate the fact that a game makes you pound the "A" button until it doesn't work anymore... not to mention what it does to your sanity.

I used to have two 3rd party controllers (with Turbo buttons), but I got two WaveBirds and so I eBayed one and traded the other. I could never justify having a wired controller after getting a WB.

Well, I stuck my nose to the grindstone and pounded my way to victory over Muslcefoot... I showed him!!!

Then I got to Dragon Rock a few days later, rescued the Earthwalker, rescued the Hightop, and then rescued the Cloudrunner... then my pain began... defending that Cloudrunner as I had to shoot the four towers was extremely cruel, having to mash the "A" button over and over while trying to aim just became a chore. I tried for 2 hours with no avail.

So, I swallowed my pride and went to GameStop and picked up a used GameStop/Pelican GCN controller with a turbo button for $10.

Got home, pulled it out of the bag and hooked it up... within 5 minutes, the towers were gone and I had blown away the boss in the tower... all with the help of the 'turbo'ed "A" button.

My sanity is intact.

Afterwords my wife asked if I was going to just go back and return it, but I said that I wanted to keep it around for a rainy day...

So, do I consider the use of a Turbo or Macro button cheating?

Heck no!

Please share your stories...
Old 01-01-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a two player game where your opponent has no turbo, it's probably cheating. In a one player game, who cares? If you don't feel that you cheated yourself out of the experience, there's no problem.

It's disappointing to hear that Starfox requires so much mindless button mashing.
Old 01-01-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revolver Ocelot thinks it's cheating.
Old 01-01-03, 10:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wish I had a turbo button through those portions of Starfox Adventures. The Wavebird almost went through the window several times.

But yeah, it's cheating...but as long as you are having fun, who cares?
Old 01-01-03, 10:42 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I wish I had a turbo button through those portions of Starfox Adventures. The Wavebird almost went through the window several times.
I'm at the end right now... and I'm using TURBO!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's cheating if you're using turbo in a competitive two-player game and the other player doesn't have one.

Otherwise, I don't think it's cheating.
Old 01-02-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheating, no.
Lame, yes.

"Boy back in my day we only had 2 buttons and we were happy to have 16 colors on the screen at one time!"