Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you use the invert option for First Person Shooters?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you use the invert option on First Person Shooters
Yes...Inverted is the only way I can play!
58.70%
No...I have to play non-inverted.
41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

A friend and I were having an argument about this the other day so I figured I would post the question to all of you seasoned gamers at DVDTalk.

So...do you?
Old 12-30-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a third -- "sometimes" -- option. On PC I nearly always have to play inverted whereas on my Xbox it's far more comfortable to play non-inverted on the controller.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-30-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought about the third option but I wanted more of a yes or no answer. If you do it sometimes, go with the majority of the way you normally play. Of course this is only asking about FPS. I know flying games, third person games, etc. might be played differently.

I can't imagine playing inverted on a first person shooter on the computer and then going to another first person shooter on a console and playing differently. Doesn't that get confusing (even if they are different games)?
Old 12-30-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely - i think it comes from playing so many flight simulators as a kid. Now it really trips me out when something isn't inverted.
Old 12-30-02, 10:13 AM

Great poll! I have had arguments with friends about this as well. Wish more people would reply to the poll.
Old 12-30-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to play inverted. I got used to it playing flight sims and playing FPS games on the PC. It just seems natural to play that way now.
Old 12-30-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I need to play inverted as well. Must have been all those games of Descent back in the day...
Old 12-30-02, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

How do you play inverted for a PC FPS game? do you move the mouse up and you look down? I've never heard of anything like that before. As for console FPS, it's definitely non-inverted.
Old 12-30-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Non-inverted....and by the looks of it I may be in the minority. I guess my lack of a flight sim background makes it seem normal to me.

Are there any games out there that allow multiplayer with each player using a different aim? I know my friends has issues with the non-inverted when we co-op Halo.
Old 12-30-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Copenhagen
Are there any games out there that allow multiplayer with each player using a different aim? I know my friends has issues with the non-inverted when we co-op Halo.
Halo lets you. Your friends just have to create their own profile and choose the inverted option (even in co-op). Unreal & Turok lets you as well. Actually all the FPS I have played on the Xbox lets your friends invert if they want to. Trust me...I know. My buddy who plays these with me freaks out if he can't invert. He says it is from years of playing Half-Life on PC. He won't even try to learn to play FPS non-inverted.
Old 12-30-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't know... my bro-in-law and i were sort of talking about it when we played halo. he likes it inverted and always plays games that way. i just play whatever and get used to it.

i think splinter cell also has the option.
Old 12-30-02, 11:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I prefer inverted, although some console FPS won't let you change it, so I can play the other way. I liked the cute way Halo let you choose.
Old 12-30-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Halo lets you. Your friends just have to create their own profile and choose the inverted option (even in co-op). Unreal & Turok lets you as well. Actually all the FPS I have played on the Xbox lets your friends invert if they want to. Trust me...I know. My buddy who plays these with me freaks out if he can't invert. He says it is from years of playing Half-Life on PC. He won't even try to learn to play FPS non-inverted.
I guess we never thought about creating a profile...I'll have to try that next time he's over.
Old 12-30-02, 11:09 AM

I always play inverted. It might have something to do with the fact that I fly airplanes for a living. The passengers might not like it if I got confused about which way was up and which way was down on the control column. Always remember...pull back and the houses get smaller, push forward and the houses get bigger!
Old 12-30-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Inverted, from a childhood where I played more than an occasional flight sim.
Old 12-30-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Inverted here. Feels too weird otherwise.

I know Goldeneye let you have different control schemes for different players in multiplayer. I haven't tried it out on my new copy, but I assume Nightfire has the same option.
Old 12-30-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Non inverted. I played flight sims (and still do) but for some reason it seems unnatural to me that when playing a FPS that down is up. It makes perfect sense to me and is logical when I'm supposed to be flying a plane but there's just something about inverted aim in a FPS that drives me nuts. I think another thing that does it is when my buddies used to play Goldeneye, they would all use the same control config and wouldn't tell me how to set the game to play the way i wanted(I wanted to move and strafe with the C buttons and have a freelook noninverted analog stick). However, they were jerks and wouldn't tell me how to configure it that way. I think my hatred for that default control scheme has led to me dislike of Goldeneye.
Old 12-30-02, 12:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Non-inverted. It just feels weird when down is up and up is down.
Old 12-30-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Non-inverted. I never could really get in to flight sims and was more of a console gamer up until about a year ago so that's probably why.
Old 12-30-02, 01:25 PM

I used to be non-invert only. Then some game recently (I can't remember which) got me playing inverted. Now there's now going back.
Old 12-30-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've enjoyed flight sims here and there, but I can't play FPS games inverted at ALL.
Old 12-30-02, 02:24 PM

Gotta play inverted. Drives me nuts that Splinter Cell won't let you invert. I've died many times while looking at the sky....
Old 12-30-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by xxfobxx
How do you play inverted for a PC FPS game? do you move the mouse up and you look down? I've never heard of anything like that before. As for console FPS, it's definitely non-inverted.
That's pretty much how it works. I know plenty of people who play that way. Just about every PC FPS I've ever played gives you an option to invert the y axis.
Old 12-30-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Inverted. Always.
Old 12-30-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Prakis
Gotta play inverted. Drives me nuts that Splinter Cell won't let you invert. I've died many times while looking at the sky....
You can invert the controls in Splinter Cell. You setup the controller config when you setup your profile.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.