Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you use the invert option for First Person Shooters?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you use the invert option on First Person Shooters
Yes...Inverted is the only way I can play!
58.70%
No...I have to play non-inverted.
41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use the invert option for First Person Shooters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverted, If anyone knows a way to invert Serious Sam on the XBox let me know cause it is pissing me off

I never play flight sims but for some reason inverted feels more fun and natural to me (I know this goes against logic)
Old 12-30-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FalconH10
If anyone knows a way to invert Serious Sam on the XBox let me know
Turn the controller upside-down?

As for my preference, I have to play inverted, it's the way it has always been for me.
Old 12-30-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
Non-inverted. It just feels weird when down is up and up is down.
Not at all.

When you look up, you pull your head BACK, not forward.
When you look down, you push your head FORWARD, not back.

Or think of it this way:

If you had sticks attached to your eyeballs, they would control just like the inverted option. Therefore, it's a fact and not opinion, that it's more natural.
Old 12-30-02, 06:23 PM
Banned

Who in their right mind would play non-inverted? That's just weird, man.

But, I guess it comes from playing FPS's or flight sims using a joystick. You don't move a joystick up or down, you pull back or you push forward. I used to play using a stick. When I switched to a mouse, non inverted just felt wrong.

For movement, sometimes I used the hat control, or I used the throttle for forward and backward. Using the hat makes strafing easy, using the throttle makes continuous movement easy while leaving the hat free for side to side looking (not turning, just looking).

Last edited by Otto; 12-30-02 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the inverted position!

what ticks me off is MOH on the xBox... you setup your controller, then the first mission FORCES you to pick 1 of 2 controller setups, non of which are inverted.

Is it me, or do think it is a stroke of BRILLIANCE that Nightfire lets you change your controller configuration during gameplay.

You can do this on most PC games, but hardly any console games let you change your configuration during game play, not even the almighty halo.

Hopefully, Nightfire is a sign of change
Old 12-31-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotta be inverted.
Old 12-31-02, 12:23 AM

Non inverted.

I guess I'm not in my right mind, Otto, sorry.
Old 12-31-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regarding Splinter Cell, I only played it briefly at my brother's house (don't have an XBox....yet ) and I was almost positive I saw an option to invert somewhere in there. Hunt around and I'm sure you'll find it.
Old 12-31-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 517 Likes on 355 Posts
Non-inverted for me. I am actually more of a legitimate computer-user than a gamer. I am used to the pointer movement in the various GUIs I use, so I need the reticle to "move" in a like manner. I play flight sims with a joystick.
Old 01-01-03, 11:42 AM

Inverted is more comfortable for me because I think of the joystick as the characters head and I'm tilting the head forward to look down and tilting the head back to look up.

Inverted = Correct

Non-Inverted = Cerebral Palsy

Last edited by WOWZY; 01-01-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,107 Likes on 676 Posts
Thanks for all the responses and votes. I am bumping it up just in case others missed it before. I am truly amazed that that inverted is beating non-inverted easily. I told my friend who is the inverted fanatic and he was actually surprised as well.
Old 01-15-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't surprise me. I think as games become more and more realistic, the inverted option begins to feel more natural.

For example, I had an old Commodore 64 flight sim that was very hard to play in inverted -- which was the default. The resolution was so poor, and the illusion of depth non-existant, that you would lapse into thinking that you were moving things around on the screen, not that you were actually controlling something real.

Another game with similar problems was Looping, in the arcades and on Colecovision. It also had inverted controls, but you were controlling a character on the screen, and pushing up to go down didn't make a whole lot of sense. It was very difficult to play at times.

Today, I play Halo, and I don't think about moving the reticle up the screen, I think about looking up. It's a subtle difference, but it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to controlling a character.
Old 01-15-03, 04:39 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

non-inverted
Old 01-15-03, 06:45 PM
MPK

For a long time I played all FPSs with inverted controls, but lately, while playing Serious Sam and Unreal Championship I've been playing non-inverted. I've experimented around and it seems like I can switch between the two with little problem now. I don't know how this happened...
Old 01-16-03, 12:02 AM

That's crazy MPK, if you succeed switching between the 2 flawlessly, then you would be a serious freak of nature.

For me, I invert. From playing alot of F-29 Retaliator back in my early pc days. Goofy foot on Skate or Die.

No invert option is cruel and unusual. Some PC demos and Splinter Cell demo is guilty of this. Sounds like Serious Sam on Xbox is guilty too. What FPS developer in their right mind does not add invert to controls? Crackhead beta testers?
Old 01-16-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I had answered this poll back a couple years ago, I would have said inverted... I havent played any FPS games recently, but I think when I was playing MoH:AA and JK2, I actually ended up using non-inverted controls... really strange... I guess I'd have to fire something up and see what feels natural to me now

I just fired up JK2 and tried inverted, and I suceeded in confusing the hell out of myself... As I said, back in college, inverted was the only way I could play... I wonder why it's backwards now?
Old 01-16-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As I said, I think it's a subtle difference between moving the reticle on the screen or moving the world around you.

I noticed this GTA3 when doing the firing range missions. The background didn't move, so I started fixating on moving the reticle, much as I would move a cursor on a computer screen. Once I did that, the whole "push up to look down" paradigim was lost.

Normally, when playing FPS, I'm looking around at the world around me, not moving the reticle over a portion of the screen. Much like I do when shooting in real life, I don't fixate on the sights, I look past them to the target.
Old 01-16-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-inverted unless it's a flight sim.

Take for example Battlefield 1942, It has both FPS and flight combat in it. I use Non-inverted for the standard FPS and then I use inverted for the flight part.
Old 01-16-03, 10:14 AM

One more vote for inverted. I haven't ever really given non-inverted a chance. Maybe I'll try it and see if I can get used to it.