Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who's a "Cable Puller" XBOX Live related

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know sega would need to solve the problem if it is a sega issue. could it be a Live issue with how it deals with disconnects?

Couldn't MS just fix it on their end by changing how the system deals with disconnects in some way. This might be more complicated because you really have two issues potentially. The Live network and the Game.

of course it would suck to have this happen real close to the end.

When it happened on my one attempt to play warcraft 3 I ended up never bothering again since why do it if people just quit when they are losing
Old 12-28-02, 01:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if Sega listed disconnect rate as a player stat and you could see that stat before deciding to play someone (let's say you can filter out someone with a 10% or higher percent rate when you search for an opponent) then there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone with Fever could explain how it works on their end cuz I'm pretty sure they have the problem fixed on that game. An even better way to fix the problem would be to give the disconnector a loss. Yeah it sucks if you had a legitimate disconnect but that's just what we'd have to live with. Give the other person a nuetral, neither a win nor a victory.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 12-28-02 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-28-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Well if Sega listed disconnect rate as a player stat and you could see that stat before deciding to play someone (let's say you can filter out someone with a 10% or higher percent rate when you search for an opponent) then there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone with Fever could explain how it works on their end cuz I'm pretty sure they have the problem fixed on that game. An even better way to fix the problem would be to give the disconnector a loss. Yeah it sucks if you had a legitimate disconnect but that's just what we'd have to live with. Give the other person a nuetral, neither a win nor a victory.
actually the good thing about listing it either thru sega or live is that even if a person is not doing it themselves they have a bad connection so it might mean it would be better to not play them anyway.

Of course if no one wanted to play you due to a real disconnection problem it might convince someone to fix it since they would not be getting a victory for this.
Old 12-28-02, 04:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Nice points Gary, and I dig the sig.
Old 12-29-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
This is one reason why I never understood the hype of online gaming. Cheating. It is too easy. That and, what enjoyment do you get out of beating someone you don't know? I might as well be playing against the computer. I played MAssault and there was this kid(probably around 12) just cussing through the whole game trying to impress everyone on his great vocabulary. Wonderful. I've had more fun using Gamespy but it is still not as fun. I'd much rather sit with 3 friends and beat the sh*t out of them and then razz them about it right there. The fun factor to me is much greater in this regard. My $.02 cents.
Old 12-29-02, 03:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Uhh.. dunno if you realize, but a bunch of us have been playing each other from this forum. If you have XBL Corvin, then post your tag and put some people on your list. You'll get some great games going in no time.

BTW Split screen sucks.
Old 12-29-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a somewhat related note, I was too pissed last week when I was playing a guy who somehow got the game to chop up while I had the ball. It wasn't a game pause, but like a network problem or something. With the crazy pauses I couldn't get no kind of rhythm going. When he had the ball it was fine until he would throw one of those 80 yard bombs and I would find myself 10 yards away from the receiver when I took control of the DB for a chance at a pick. I figured I had let the cpu (which plays terrible pass defense) control them and try to time the jarring hit. I wish I knew about the feedback when it happened. I don't even remember his handle, but if it happens again I will report it. I lost the game by 4 points
Old 12-29-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by Deadpool
On a somewhat related note, I was too pissed last week when I was playing a guy who somehow got the game to chop up while I had the ball. It wasn't a game pause, but like a network problem or something. With the crazy pauses I couldn't get no kind of rhythm going. When he had the ball it was fine until he would throw one of those 80 yard bombs and I would find myself 10 yards away from the receiver when I took control of the DB for a chance at a pick. I figured I had let the cpu (which plays terrible pass defense) control them and try to time the jarring hit. I wish I knew about the feedback when it happened. I don't even remember his handle, but if it happens again I will report it. I lost the game by 4 points

I had someone doing that to me. It only happened when i was on offence. So i figured he was dloaded something when i had the ball, I asked him to turnoff his comp or atleast pause his dload until the game was over. He did and i kicked his arse.
Old 12-30-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Uhh.. dunno if you realize, but a bunch of us have been playing each other from this forum. If you have XBL Corvin, then post your tag and put some people on your list. You'll get some great games going in no time.

BTW Split screen sucks.
Not on a 57" HD Widescreen TV. That is like a 25" tv for each person. I don't have live, all my friends do, so I play online with them. But Halo online is a blast. Some of the character names people use kill me. No real cheating there that I have had a problem with. Just the occasional slow ping and dropping the game b/c of that not b/c of the punishing being dealt.
Old 12-30-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by gcribbs

When it happened on my one attempt to play warcraft 3 I ended up never bothering again since why do it if people just quit when they are losing
From my personal experience, withdrawing in Warcraft III counts as surrendering and therefore a loss on your record -- my friend and I (level 1 or 2) consider it relatively normal to drop out a few seconds into a game with two level 5's and take a loss, while saving ourselves 1/2 an hour of game time for something where we have more of a chance.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-30-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
From my personal experience, withdrawing in Warcraft III counts as surrendering and therefore a loss on your record -- my friend and I (level 1 or 2) consider it relatively normal to drop out a few seconds into a game with two level 5's and take a loss, while saving ourselves 1/2 an hour of game time for something where we have more of a chance.

Tuan Jim
I agree he took the loss. However he also took the fun

I had just started to build myself up when all of a sudden I was attacked by a few orcs. I killed them and he quit

I was shocked. I decided why bother to play online. I was never really interested in playing online but I was convinced that it was fun. so I tried it and was bored. Never tried it again.

My computer never quits no matter how bad i am beating it
Old 12-31-02, 10:45 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in Thunderballs case, that was two hands to help speed up the search for the controller cause it's so small
Old 01-01-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there is a ladder, and ranking, then a disconnect HAS to be counted as a loss.

Ironically, this is what WC3 does, and my computer likes to play jokes on me and often disconnects right as my army is falling upon his final town.

And Tuan, if you don't enjoy simply playing, you shoudn't go online. It takes 1 win to get to level 2. Maybe if you actually played a game instead of walk out you would find it enjoyable, and you might actually win a game or 2. Nothing pisses me off more than waiting to find a game for up to 2 minutes, finding a game, loading the map for 30 seconds, only for it to end in 2 seconds of gameplay. If you want to play online and never lose, then pick a game more akin to the sims and not a head-2-head game.