Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How to turn off XBox and PS2s.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to turn off XBox and PS2s.

Okay, this seems silly, but is it okay to just turn off the XBox or PS2 consoles when the menu is showing? Seems like it would hurt the system? Isn't there a shut down option on any menu?
Old 12-24-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um.. they video games.. you can shut them off whenever the hell you feel like it.
Old 12-24-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... as long as you're not in the middle of saving a game, you can shut your system down any time you want without damaging anything.
Old 12-24-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a more gentle way of turning off the PS2: Press and hold in the top front button for a second or two and it will turn to red (standby mode)- the menu won't be showing anymore at this point. Then turn it off the power.

No similar thing on Xbox that I know of.
Old 12-24-02, 10:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what "menu" you're talking about... but usually I turn my PS2 off the way that TheMadMonk describes.
Old 12-24-02, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
To turn off your Xbox, tell him about your day.
Old 12-24-02, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Not sure what "menu" you're talking about... but usually I turn my PS2 off the way that TheMadMonk describes.
I think he just means the basic menu screen on the tv; the one with "Browser" and "System Configuration"
Old 12-24-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you guys turn off the PS2 in the back too? I just turn it off using the button on the front to put it in standby mode. Some people claim that leaving it in standby mode is bad for the PS2. But I'm not so sure about that.

I've had my PS2 since April 2001, it's been in standby mode (or turned on and in use) almost continuously since then, and I haven't had any problems.
Old 12-24-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joshic
Do you guys turn off the PS2 in the back too? I just turn it off using the button on the front to put it in standby mode. Some people claim that leaving it in standby mode is bad for the PS2. But I'm not so sure about that.

I've had my PS2 since April 2001, it's been in standby mode (or turned on and in use) almost continuously since then, and I haven't had any problems.
I think that's what it was designed for. Kind of like how your computer has a hard power switch on the back. Besides, if it's really the "true" power switch that was another dumb ass move on Sony's behalf to put the power switch on the BACK of the unit.
Old 12-24-02, 12:36 PM

I turn mine off at the back, after putting in into standby mode.
Old 12-24-02, 12:54 PM

Considering it is the hardest on electronics when you first turn them on, just think about when lightbulbs go out, I would say it is better to leave the PS2 in standby mode so as to avoid this surge every time you turn it on. I'm guessing that was sony's design decision for putting the power switch in the back to try to prevent people from avoiding the standby feature.
Old 12-24-02, 04:52 PM

and what about an x-box live that is in the middle of a game? is it ok to just turn it off, or should I disconnect, then turn off?
Old 12-25-02, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by warcp
and what about an x-box live that is in the middle of a game? is it ok to just turn it off, or should I disconnect, then turn off?
Always log off xbl before turing off your xbox. You never know what could happen. If something terrible were to happen to you and you couldn't log back in, your soul could be lost in xbox live limbo forever!
Old 12-25-02, 03:04 PM
Cool New Member

I turn off my XBox by taking out the game, closing the drive and then wait for the drive to quit looking for the disc. Then I turn it off.

On my PS2, I take out the game and then put it in standby. I never really shut it off unless I clean it or know I won't be playing it for a week.