Reload this Page >

Time for another obligatory "What Xbox game should I get next?"

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-22-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so my brother got me a $50 GC to EB, plus I'm going to trade in my crappy JSFR and Sega GT racing game for $20, so I plan on getting 2 games. I already have Splinter Cell, but that is the only game i own. I just rented legends of wrestling II, dead to rights, and bmx xxx, and i hated all of them. So, besides that what games should i get? I hate first person shooters, i dont need any football or basketball games, and it doesnt have to be a game that just came out recently. the only one i was thinking about was tony hawk 4.
Old 12-22-02, 03:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
First off, I'll give you $21 for your copy of SegaGT/JSFR.

What type of games do you like?

I would recommend Rallisport Challenge if you like racing, and it can be found for around $20.

Besides a few FPS titles, which I love, I would recommend Mechassault and Dead or Alive.

For budget titles, Oddworld is fun.
Old 12-22-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I HATE racing games first off. Second even though that one dollar profit is enticing, its still not worth the postage and trip to the post office. And im not a huge fighting game fan either. although i will probably check out that volleyball T&A game when it comes out.
Old 12-22-02, 04:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I would have paid you postage obviously.........but understandable.

If I were you, not liking FPS or racing games (the two biggest strengths of the xbox in my opinion) I would continue to do as you have, renting games until you find ones you like.

What game(s) made you buy the xbox anyway?
Old 12-22-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aggressive Inline is cheap and great...

Silent Hill 2 maybe? I just got it, it is a fun adventure game to play through, but I bought it at $20, and I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it.

SSX Tricky is a fun racing/tricks type game.
Old 12-23-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

amped
Buffy the vampire slayer
Spiderman: the movie
LOTR:TTT coming 12/31

maybe Morrowind or Enclave if you enjoy RPG... Long, slow RPG for morrowind. Either hate it or love it sort of game...
Old 12-23-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Panzer Dragoon Orta is coming out in a couple weeks.
Old 12-23-02, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ummm nobody has mentioned HALO!

the best game out there for the X-Box...

but I guess you hate FPS...oh well!
Old 12-23-02, 08:22 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm, you hate racing games and FPS games and are not crazy about fighting games and don't need any football or basket ball games.

What about hockey? Or are you just not crazy about sport games in general?

Your kind of limiting yourself...so I would agree that you should rent first regardless of the genre.

What types of game do you like?
Old 12-23-02, 08:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

TH4 has gotten great reviews, you could buy that one without worry, it's supposed to be great. I never played it, but that's what Aghama said anyway.

I always considered Halo the FPS haters FPS game since it has so much cool stuff in it like flying around in jets and having dog fights with other guys and also driving around in tanks and jeeps and stuff. Kinda like a GTA meets FPS, pretty sweet.

Everyone seems to love Mechassault, very fun game, especially if you have Xbox Live. When you say you hate racing games, where is that coming from? Because there are many different types out there. Project Gotham Racing is very good though.

Amped is great and can be had for cheap. There have been a few new games lately that you might like, House of the Dead 3, and Panzer Dragoon comes out soon also.

Did you even play JSRF? You call it crappy, but if you gave the game a chance, you'd probably see it's anything but. It takes a while before the game really builds up into something "awesome" though.
Old 12-23-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... I think Hunter: The Reckoning doesn't fit under any of the categories you don't like, but you sure like to make it difficult! How about Monopoly? Not for the Xbox either. Just eBay your Xbox and get the board game. Apparently you don't like video games
Old 12-23-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuzion Frenzy
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
Morrowind
Old 12-23-02, 12:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Morrowind is great, although I recommend going with the PC version if your computer can run it, since the expansion is sadly not coming to Xbox.

Even if you normally hate FPS games, it's worth at least sampling Halo. You might be surprised.

For the price, you can't go wrong with two snowboarding games: SSX Tricky for more outrageous stunts and Amped for more realitic play.
Old 12-23-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Morrowind is great, although I recommend going with the PC version if your computer can run it, since the expansion is sadly not coming to Xbox.

Do you know why?
Old 12-23-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best advice:

Go to www.gamerankings.com. On the left side of the screen, click on "The Rankings." On the next screen choose Xbox as the platform and limit results to 50.

You get a list of the 50 best Xbox games of all time. Start from the top and begin looking at each game. Read reviews from multiple sites. Read reader reviews. See what type of game it is. Then figure out what you want to buy based on your impressions.

If you're still unsure, then rent before you buy.
Old 12-23-02, 04:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's the official word on Tribunal for the Xbox:

There are no plans for an Xbox version of the Tribunal expansion at this time. Tribunal is not a stand-alone expansion. It requires that you have Morrowind installed. On the XBox, games are not installed. Information may be copied over temporarily, but there's no way to permanently install games. And since swapping disks causes the Xbox to reboot, there's no way to load first the Morrowind disk and then swap it with the Tribunal disk.
Old 12-23-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the advice guys. i will write a more involved post when i have more time, spefically to counter everyone telling me that i should sell my xbox just because i dont like the games you do.
Old 12-23-02, 08:54 PM

No we aren't saying to sell you XBox because you don't like the games we do. We are telling you to sell it because you hate ever genre that the XBox excels in.

Sorry but so far the XBox has been dominated by FPS, Racing, Fighting games, and Sports games.

My advice try Morrowind if you like RPG's, THPS4 is a great game but I'm not sure how it would be possible to hate racing, sports, and JSRF and could like this game so probably rent it.

Try out Splinter cell. Hmm... running out of options right now.
Not many platformers out worth mentioning.

I am being serious here, ever think of trading it for a Gamecube or PS2 they have more variety of the games you seem to like, although we need some elaboration on what you like. Anyway, good luck with the Box.
Old 12-24-02, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh, he has Splinter Cell. If you like it, you might like Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. If you like platformers, maybe Blinx. How bout a third person shooter? GUNVALKYRIE is good, but very very challenging. Max Payne is great, but you can also get that on PC. Hunter the Reckoning, Dead to Rights, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Genma Onimusha, and Batman Vengeance are decent action games. Shenmue II if you like slow adventure RPG.
Old 12-24-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally posted by FalconH10
I am being serious here, ever think of trading it for a Gamecube or PS2 they have more variety of the games you seem to like, although we need some elaboration on what you like. Anyway, good luck with the Box.
That is what I'm thinking. I don't think you want to point out somebody made a bad investment but, in this case...

Both the GC and PS2 have a nice variety of games, and obviously the PS2 has more, a LOT more of them at cheap prices, so if you bought a game for $20 and didn't like it, it doesn't feel like you got as burned as a $50 game.

On GCN you have, Rogue Leader, Mario, Luigi, Pikmin, MonkeyBall, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Metroid, Worms Blast, and Sonic to name a few. None of these fall into your disliked genres.

anyway...