Xenosaga censored for US

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xenosaga censored for US

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I do have to spoon feed illiterates. I said you simply said cannot remove this footage. Namco is alternating the footage cause they cannot REMOVE THE FOOTAGE. As I mention before, this segment is an integral part of the plot. You cannot completely REMOVE THIS SEGMENT. Namco can change but cannot REMOVE this Albedo and MOMO encounter.

Last edited by DVD Lamer; 12-20-02 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Lamer
Looks like I do have to spoon feed illiterates. I said you simply said cannot remove this footage. Namco is alternating the footage cause they cannot REMOVE THE FOOTAGE. As I mention before, this segment is an integral part of the plot. You cannot completely REMOVE THIS SEGMENT. Namco can change but cannot REMOVE this Albedo and MOMO encounter.
um, i'm going to need a bigger spoon...

can you calm down and stop insulting people and explain unambiguously? you probably posted your message hurridly b/c there are several mistakes in it... so i find it ironic that you're calling people illiterate. i've quoted you for posterity. congratulations.
Old 12-20-02, 09:50 AM

It's dialogue heavy and an integral part of the plot. You can't simply remove this footage.
Spoon big enough?

Notice how civil it was at the beginning? Once stupidity enters, of course, the tone will change.

This is the end of discussion since I pointed out the obvious but still misread god knows why.

Last edited by DVD Lamer; 12-20-02 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cry me a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT.

Okay first of all.. I somehow doubt a "scene" is going to be that big of a part of the game. It's a video game, you PLAY them, you don't ****ing watch them. (At least this was how it was when I grew up).. if they altered the play mechanics of the game (if there are any left) then maybe there would be reason to throw a fit.

Secondly, this is nothing new. Since the daw of time video games have had small things changed or altered when crossing either shore. (Yes, changes are made from US made game when they're localized to Japan). Dialouge, refrences, etc. What may be acceptable in one culture may not be in another. You can do a lot of things to a 12 year old girl in Japan that you can't do here in the states. And it's probably a wise move for Namco to change this. I'm sure the last thing they want is to have to deal with lawsuits and/or controversy over a video game. Video games are the one medium that (mostly) benefits from changes made during localization. I doubt people are firing up thier Playstations for a good cultural refrence. (oops.. going on a tangent)..

Again, how does this affect the GAME itself? It doesn't. If you're playing video games to read dialouge or see fancy CG movies or see 12 year old girls molested, then more power to you. Learn Japanese and stop whining about everything. Problem solved. Myself, I play video games for the games.. so excuse while I whip out my Nintendo and enjoy some River City Ransom.
Old 12-20-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"While no one is sure exactly how the scene will be edited, we do know that it's not being taken out altogether, rather, the scene will be edited to make it less gruesome. This editor for one, can say that the original scene in the Japanese version was actually very disturbing, though neither in a sexual nor bloody way."
-RPGFAN-
Old 12-20-02, 10:49 AM

Xenosaga IS STORY-DRIVEN. Hence, Xenosaga is MORE of a MOVIE than a GAME. If your looking for GAMEPLAY, Xenosaga ISN'T FOR YOU! If you HATE Metal Gear Solid 2, you'll HATE Xenosaga MORE!

Of course, localization tweaks were made and still made since the dawn of video games. I only posted this to inform potential buyers and correct ignorant assumptions. They have the right to know what changes were made. They can decide to buy or not buy this product. Their money and their choice. Who's in the right mind is against product information availability that help buying decisions?

Somehow your opinion >>> everyone else's?

Cry me a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT!

Last edited by DVD Lamer; 12-20-02 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all my comment wasn't aimed at you, Lamer.. Calm down, child. It's aimed at anybody who's going to make this into some epic over-dramatic crisis when it obviosly shouldn't be. It's excellent that the information is out for consumers and it's great that you posted it here.. I agree with you on that!

However, people do tend to take these things WAAAY overboard, and if you read back over your posts I'm sure you could agree with me. You posted the information, people took it for what's it's worth and then you got all bent out of shape because people weren't as pissed about it as you are. I did not mean to offend you, Lamer. I was stating my opinion on why it wasn't a big deal to me, as you stated why it was a big deal to you.

I'm a gamer, and when I play video games, that's what is imoprtant to me. Which brings me to your argument about it being more of a movie than a game.. if this is true why the hell didn't they just make it a movie then?! It's games like this, Metal Gear Solid 2, and the Final Fantasy series (7 and beyond ouf course) and the mentallity behind them that helps aid the watered down gaming industry we've been stuck in the last few years (though I will admit it is picking up steam again, thanks largely to online gaming). I used to be a HUGE fan of RPG games, but the stories behind them were always there to flavor the gameplay, not hide it.

And dude.. I'll be the first to admit my opinion is far from greater than anybody elses. Espically in the world of video games my opinion these days seems to go waaay into left feild and forgotten. But I will at least put a method to my madness.
Old 12-20-02, 11:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before we start throwing around the "illiterate" insult around anymore, I'd remind everyone to read the forum rules about personal attacks. Let's take it down a few notches.
Old 12-20-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Pixyboi, games have changed a lot. Many are very very cinimatic in nature, and changing this scene is much like changing one from a movie for an american audiance. Being someone who had made games myself with strong storylines, I'd be very angry to learn someone edited my game like that, and I'd also be mad that I was getting a dubbed over version.

Furthermore, this is just another example of people like Sony US talking out of both sides of their mouth. They say M games are adult oriented, that GTA is only for adults, and they make adult games. Yet they remove these "offensive" scenes and wont allow nudity in the games. Stuff that is second hand in R rated movies.

This just hurts ME, the adult gamer, because stupid family values groups go after these games, saying they're being marketed to children, what are they going to say? the editing is being made for the sake of the adults playing it?

Then all we'll get is stupid Teen rated games.
Old 12-21-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to say that FF7 has my favorite RPG game engine and River City Ransom is awesome. I didn't play Xenosaga or whatever for that long seeing that the opening sequence seemed ridiculously long. I could be mistaken but I also play games for the game but sometimes an awesome story with awesome writing can cover up a really poor presentation (Metropolismania, anyone but has interesting engine though).

I think the ALTERTED scene won't amount to too much change so everyone calm down and maybe this is the final post for all that can be said is either someone will say that it will change the game or it won't. Or maybe can offical say what will happen but that would take a while. Closing thread (if I had the power).