Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

problem playing blue disks on playstation 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 10:12 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem playing blue disks on playstation 2

Does anyone else have problems playing blue disks on their playstation 2?

I have had no problems with the silver/grey disks, but when I play blue disks, the cd makes a loud spinning noise in the tray. I increase the volume on my tv and I can still hear the annoying noise.

The problem game was Virtua Fighter 4- greatest hits. Are greatest hits games the only ones with blue disks?
Old 12-20-02, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I would say 4 out of 5 people have problems with blue discs, its common for PS2.
Old 12-20-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: problem playing blue disks on playstation 2

Originally posted by alegriaman
Does anyone else have problems playing blue disks on their playstation 2?

I have had no problems with the silver/grey disks, but when I play blue disks, the cd makes a loud spinning noise in the tray. I increase the volume on my tv and I can still hear the annoying noise.

The problem game was Virtua Fighter 4- greatest hits. Are greatest hits games the only ones with blue disks?
PS2 does have problems with blue discs, especially if there are any kind of scratches on them. It is usually a bad sign if you start hearing loud spinning noises as soon as your PS2 started running a blue disc.

If your VF4 is new, I suggest getting it exchanged. But if it's used, then you might be out of luck, unless you can still get a replacement disc from where you made the purchase.

I have had varied experiences with pre-played games from BB. Games like Maximo and Way of the Samurai played flawlessly with little to no problems, the machine stays quiet just as if playing a silver disc. However, the blue Gaunlet Dark Legacy and Sled Storm are giving me all kinds of problems. The noises is always loud, and sometimes the game disc wouldn't even be recognized. I didn't want to risk ruining my PS2, so I'll probably have to go and exchange these two games for something else.

PAL
Old 12-20-02, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some time ago I read the similar issue on GamePro. A reader said it was because silver disc (DVD-ROM) is thicker than blue disc (CD-ROM). So, as your PS2 get older, it is having problem to hold the blue disc, but OK to hold the silver disc (because is thicker).

The reader has also suggested to put two small pieces of scotch tape near the center of the disc's surface (one on left and one on right, NOT top and bottom). That will make the disc a little thicker and balance.

I heard it works for most of the readers. So, you can give it a try.
The following users liked this post:
Alicia Cook (07-26-22)
Old 12-20-02, 10:50 AM

I have Time Crisis II which is a blue disc but I don't have a problem with it.
Old 12-20-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blue discs are the games on cd-rom, the rest are on dvd-rom. Do you have trouble playing Audio CDs or black PS1 discs?
Old 12-21-02, 12:11 AM

if you are having this problem with all CD based material (blue back games, PS1 games, music CDs), it means your drive is going and you owe Sony $125 plus shipping to get it fixed. This problem seems to be a very common occurance in systems during their first 6 to 8 months (if the system goes 8 months without this problem, it seems to never have this problem), at least where I work (we replace a lot in the first 6 to 8 months after purchase).

If it reads other games and CD material, but not your VF4, then itis the game.
Old 12-21-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine is on his third PS2 and I'm on my second. The console does not hold up to heavy use and it seems in some cases even moderate use.

The first sign of the DVD-ROM going as listed above is when it has trouble with CD based media. DVD movies are usually next and then it won't even play regular PS2 games.

I secretly think the reason the PS2 is outselling the competition is because the same people keep having to replace their consoles.
Old 12-21-02, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do DVD-Rom drives use a different laser to read CDs than DVDs? I remember having a DVD-rom drive in my PC that struggled reading every CD but had no trouble at all reading DVDs. Maybe you can clean the lens?
Old 12-21-02, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Maryang Palad
I have Time Crisis II which is a blue disc but I don't have a problem with it.
It's funny you say that because I have Time Crisis II, and it's the ONLY blue disc that I've had problem with. It sucks because it's actually my favorite game.
Old 12-21-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... You probably have a launch PS2, right? Give Sony a call and tell them that you're having a problem with cd based games and you want to know what they can do about it. Don't be rude but be persistant and they'll repair it for you for free - it's a known problem with some of the units that were shipped at launch.

I would say 4 out of 5 people have problems with blue discs, its common for PS2.

There is not a chance that the PS2 has an 80% failure rate.
Old 12-21-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Its happening with later PS2s as well, so its not just the launch consoles.

I agree the fail rate is not 80%, but it does seem to be the highest of any console I can ever remember.
Old 12-21-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Its happening with later PS2s as well, so its not just the launch consoles.
I didn't know it was happening with others as well, either way give Sony a call.

I must have ridiculously good luck with consoles, I've never had any problems with any of them (other than my DC making some really bad grinding noises but I got rid of it before it died).
Old 12-21-02, 08:39 PM

I've got my PS2 with GT3 bundle. Is it the early consoles?

Last edited by ottolam; 12-21-02 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ottolam
I've got my PS2 with GT3 bundle. Is it the early consoles?
Nope, those bundles started coming out about a year after the launch (I think it was around a year, that's when I bought mine).
Old 12-21-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't make sense to me to keep supporting a company who sells poorly made products. I have a semi permanent extended warranty on mine. 3rd system, only bought 1

If i were getting robbed $300 to $200 at a time, I would take my money to another system.
Old 12-22-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering the serial number sticker is easily moved. I've only paid for one console and so has my friend. Its a hastle getting a new PS2 every 8 or 9 months though.
Old 12-23-02, 11:06 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

I just bought my ps 2 a few weeks ago! It is very disappointing that this system is such a piece of crap.

I have read on other forums that the loud "clicking" sound when playing blue-bottomed disks will ultimately result in the ps 2 not being able to read blue disks in the future. I believe that Sony will fix your playstation for FREE if it is having trouble reading blue disks (this is apparently a common problem).

I spoke with a customer service rep at Sony and he told me to exchange the system at CC for a new one. Hopefully this problem won't happen again!!!!!
Old 12-25-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by ottolam
The reader has also suggested to put two small pieces of scotch tape near the center of the disc's surface (one on left and one on right, NOT top and bottom). That will make the disc a little thicker and balance.

I heard it works for most of the readers. So, you can give it a try.
Thanks for bringing up the Scotch tape suggestion. I decided to to try it out, and it worked! As mentioned earlier, I only have problems with a few, but not all, blue disc games on my PS2. So I put 4 pieces of Scotch tapes around the center (2 large, 2 small, so the opening is completely covered), and the unplayable blue discs that used to make extremely loud noises now played perfectly with only minor whirring noise now.

If there's nothing physically wrong with your blue discs but it still won't play or makes loud noises, give it a try.

PAL
Old 12-26-02, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by darkside
A friend of mine is on his third PS2 and I'm on my second. The console does not hold up to heavy use and it seems in some cases even moderate use.

Yeah, I'm going to have buy a new one or send the old one in for repair soon...though I've always treated the system very well.

The first sign of the DVD-ROM going as listed above is when it has trouble with CD based media. DVD movies are usually next and then it won't even play regular PS2 games.

That's pretty much the same path of decadence my PS2 took. Currently, it won't play DVD movies, blue back games, or new silver back games without making deep circular scratches around the base of the disc. That last incidence is exceptionally odd because it will play my old silver back games fine, but when I pop in a new game (like, say, one I got for Christmas), the PS2 mauls it.

I secretly think the reason the PS2 is outselling the competition is because the same people keep having to replace their consoles.

It's funny you would mention that. I've actually heard Sony criticized for this practice; which is called "Planned Obsolescence." For what it's worth, I treat my CD-based software exceptionally well, and I've had three old Playstations break or cease functioning on me...

Last edited by Lord Crumb; 12-26-02 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-27-02, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Thanks for bringing up the Scotch tape suggestion. I decided to to try it out, and it worked! As mentioned earlier, I only have problems with a few, but not all, blue disc games on my PS2. So I put 4 pieces of Scotch tapes around the center (2 large, 2 small, so the opening is completely covered), and the unplayable blue discs that used to make extremely loud noises now played perfectly with only minor whirring noise now.

If there's nothing physically wrong with your blue discs but it still won't play or makes loud noises, give it a try.

PAL
Glad that it works for you, but I would still call Sony to see if they can fix it for you for free... after all, this is a work around solution, which doesn't really fix your PS2.