Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

which platform for Nightfire and LOTR:TTT?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-15-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there was another thread in general about the "which platform" thing but this is for these two games specifically. Which platform would you go with for each? Nightfire and LOTR:TTT?
Old 12-15-02, 02:13 AM

For me it comes down to those stupid memory cards, so I say go with the xbox if you can. Also, who knows if the games actually vary between systems. If they don't I want the one with the fastest processor, that is again the xbox.

Please note that I love all 3 consoles!
Old 12-15-02, 02:46 AM

I have only played Nightfire and that was on the Box. Did not notice any problems. (rental)
Old 12-15-02, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nightfire on the PC has a few extra levels and multiplayer (I do belive...) but it's also missing the car levels. So don't bother.

Personally, I didn't like the game much.
Old 12-15-02, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah I did the nightfire demo for pc and that is so totally not an option! But people keep telling me that the console version of that game is much better than the pc version. My concern is not having enough buttons on the GameCube controller to effectively handle a FPS. ie. being able to look around, strafe and fire at the same time. Read that metroid can't pull that all effectively but has auto lock on target to help. Along with pulling R trigger to look up and down.... Hate for nightfire to be the same way. Guess I'm spoiled by my mouse and keyboard... though Halo did a great job with controls!
Old 12-15-02, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say when in doubt, go the xbox.. Sorry I haven't seen these games specifically though. However if the ps2 version was significantly cheaper (1/3-1/2 off) then I'd probably go that.

Chris
Old 12-15-02, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shuki, yeah, I can't manage FPSs without a mouse and keyboard either. Go fig. I even bought a speciality pad to get rid of the keyboard, but it only had ten buttons, and even the most simple games need more then that... so I went back to the keyboard...
Old 12-15-02, 10:01 AM
Retired

I thought LOTR: TTT (which is the EA game) was only on PS2?

If you mean the book based Fellowship of the Ring game, I wouldn't buy it on any platform based on the reviews I've read.
Old 12-15-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I thought LOTR: TTT (which is the EA game) was only on PS2?
nope. xbox on 12/17 and cube on 12/31

edit - that info was/is per Flay's threads (THANK YOU for you hard work in maintaining not only the xbox side of things but the other platforms as well FLAY!!!) but after going to ebgames and amazon looks like they're both set to ship out on 12/30 now....

Last edited by Shuki; 12-15-02 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-15-02, 10:21 AM
Retired

Dang, I would have waited to check out the cube version of TTT instead of having someone pick up the PS2 version for me for X-mas.

Any word on whether EA did the ports themselves, or passed them off to some crappy developer like they did with Need for Speed 2?
Old 12-15-02, 11:38 AM

I have the Ps2 version and it rocks. Looks and plays amazing. It looks better then the majority of most Ps2 games and can hold its own next to some Gamecube titles.

So...just wait to see if they're straight ports or if the graphics are improved.
Old 12-15-02, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Any word on whether EA did the ports themselves, or passed them off to some crappy developer like they did with Need for Speed 2?
Both versions of NFS were done by EA-owned developers. Black Box did the PS2; EA Seattle did the others.

There's no need for EA to look to outside firms to accomplish incompetent ports.
Old 12-15-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
All three version of Nightfire are supposed to be great, so I really don't think it will matter on that game. Pick the one with the best controller for you.

The Two Towers we will have to wait and see.
Old 12-16-02, 07:49 AM

I can't remember where I read the article, but I read that the graphics are supposed to be better on the Xbox than the PS2 or Gamecube. I have only seen the Xbox version and it was very good. I enjoyed playing it.
Old 12-16-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shuki
yeah I did the nightfire demo for pc and that is so totally not an option! But people keep telling me that the console version of that game is much better than the pc version. My concern is not having enough buttons on the GameCube controller to effectively handle a FPS. ie. being able to look around, strafe and fire at the same time. Read that metroid can't pull that all effectively but has auto lock on target to help. Along with pulling R trigger to look up and down.... Hate for nightfire to be the same way. Guess I'm spoiled by my mouse and keyboard... though Halo did a great job with controls!
I rented and have been playing 4 player Nightfire on the GC for a couple days now and it controls fine. There are several control schemes to choose from and the one i prefer has you free looking with the left joystick, move/strafe with the right yellow joystick, fire with the right shoulder. It took a tiny bit of getting used to but now i can whizz right through the multiplayer levels like i did Goldeneye. I'm getting a huge kick out of the MP mode.
Old 12-16-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds super nice! anyone have any experience with the conrols on it for xbox? wonder if same control options are there?