Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I got Mortal Kombat and BloodRayne today...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-13-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

from Half.com.

Mortal Kombat sucks on the Xbox. The d-pad on the controller is too wishy-washy. Other than that, it looks nice and sounds good.

Bloodrayne - they should've finished this game before releasing. Looks ametureish. Still - perhaps I'll drag some fun out of it anyway.

what did u guys think of these?
Old 12-13-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got bored with Mortal Kombat real quick. I had it on the GameCube I just sold it on eBay. Good graphics and stuff... just got repititive and boring.
Old 12-13-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thumbs down to both in my book.
Old 12-13-02, 03:48 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Thumbs down to both in my book.
<----*nods*

He's right....Those games are rentals...Tops!
Old 12-13-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What do you really expect from MK?? It topped out in fun/gameplay in MK2, but everything after that is just gimmicky and boring.... As to Bloodrayne, I have no idea.
Old 12-13-02, 04:19 PM

At least the game has a lot of things to unlock.
Old 12-13-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the Demo of Bloodrayne for the XBox and plan on buying it when I can get it for =
Old 12-13-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Bloodrayne = LOTSA FUN
Old 12-13-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
I got bored with Mortal Kombat real quick. I had it on the GameCube I just sold it on eBay. Good graphics and stuff... just got repititive and boring.

This is pretty much my take on all fighting games...
Old 12-13-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn... Im still loving MK. I still have to unlock the Palace Grounds arena. 4222 Saphire koins.
Old 12-13-02, 08:27 PM
Retired

I was mildly curious about both games, but the reviews led me to pass.

Both just seemed like "good" or "ok" games, and with my limited gaming time and funds I'm trying to limit myself to "great" or "AAA" quality games.

BloodRayne just looked like a run of the mill 3rd person adventure game with some blood and bounching boobs, and MK looked ok but I think I'd rather just wait for Soul Calibur 2 (or maybe pick up VF4 for $19.99) for my fighting game fix.
Old 12-13-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really curious about MK. I know everything past 2 kind of sucked real bad but this new one looks kind of interesting with the whole changing fighting styles thing. If i ever can find it used or something for pretty cheap i'd pick it up.

I'm just longing for the day when someone will release a realistic weapons based fighter that will be a true sequel to the glory that was Bushido Blade.
Old 12-13-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with MK for Xbox is the D-Pad. I'd suggest picking this up for the PS2 if anything... The Xbox is a great system I think and I really like the controller and all that, but the D-pad is worthless and sucky. When you rely on down, towards, punch to shoot a fireball or whatever and you press it, but the D-Pad thinks you pressed towards, down, punch - it's no good. The graphics and sound are good and if you're a MK fan, you might dig it... but it's pretty unplayable on the Xbox I think.
Old 12-13-02, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
The problem with MK for Xbox is the D-Pad. I'd suggest picking this up for the PS2 if anything... The Xbox is a great system I think and I really like the controller and all that, but the D-pad is worthless and sucky. When you rely on down, towards, punch to shoot a fireball or whatever and you press it, but the D-Pad thinks you pressed towards, down, punch - it's no good. The graphics and sound are good and if you're a MK fan, you might dig it... but it's pretty unplayable on the Xbox I think.
Do you have to use the D-pad? I was thinking of picking this up on Gamecube, but the D-pad on the Cube controller is completely unusable.

Last edited by focker; 12-13-02 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bloodrayne was possibly one of the worst games ive ever played. I bought it on the PS2, played it, felt deeply dissapointed and returned it the next day. The controls were awful, as were the graphics and the there was no need for bouncing boobs when the characters were standing still. I tried to like since im a big vampire buff, but couldnt bring myself to it.
Old 12-14-02, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
I'd hate for any potential XBox MK owners to be turned away by this, so let me just clarify this statement....

"The D-pad is worthless and sucky for Trigger."

Believe me, I'm not doubting that you can't do a damn thing in MK with your XBox controller. But me and...well, pretty much every other XBox MK player I've spoken with, have no problems at all. I've watched groups of arcade rats huddled around demo machines in EB pulling off things you couldn't even imagine....with the XBox controller. Hell, I even alternate between the S controller AND the old-school controller without missing a beat.

I often find your game reviews a bit skewed Trigger, but calling MKA unplayable because of the XBox controller was just way too absurd to ignore. It reminds me of when I was younger, playing Street Fighter with friends who would blame the controller every time they got trounced. Same then as now: Methinks it's not the controller that's the problem.
Old 12-14-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hes not completely off base. Try any of the <-- , --> combos. Bet ya cant pull it off twice in a row. Try Frosts 6th stage in conquest and tell me the D-Pad isnt holding you back. Its fun and Im loving it and your opponent cant do them either but the complex directional combos are harder than they should be because of that pad.
Old 12-14-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict
Hes not completely off base. Try any of the <-- , --> combos. Bet ya cant pull it off twice in a row. Try Frosts 6th stage in conquest and tell me the D-Pad isnt holding you back. Its fun and Im loving it and your opponent cant do them either but the complex directional combos are harder than they should be because of that pad.
Which controller is he using? S or standard? I used the S controller and the D pad works fine for me.
Old 12-14-02, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Im using the standard and its as clumsy as a drunk cripple.

Edit- just the pad only combos though really (the down, down. forwards and such).
Old 12-14-02, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Mortal kombat was terrible.

the whole game play of it feels very stiff. tje weapons really are lame as they are blocked and the blocking system itself feels like it was rushed and not thought out.
Old 12-14-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
Yeah - that's basically where I'm coming from. I guess saying "unplayable" is an exaggeration... however, it's nothing like the arcade where I could pull off the moves easily... trying to do the same move twice is near impossible. Back, towards, punch ends up registering as back, up, towards, punch no matter how careful I am. I've tried 3 different controllers and some are better than others, but bah...

I do like being able to impale people.
Old 12-14-02, 11:28 AM

I have Bloodrayne, I love it! It's a blast to play.Theres so much fun in all the fighting and dismemberment.
Old 12-14-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked BLOODRAYNE, but only the x-box version had great graphics, the GC and Plsystation2 wasnt as good as x-box version. She was a great character, and her moves was awesome, especially the slow motion power and the fact you can still shoot enemies while sucking a victims blood. Its cheesy fun, alot better than SHADOWMAN 2, BUFFY, BLADE2, MARK OF KRI.

As for MK, what did you expect? (:
Old 12-14-02, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
This is pretty much my take on all fighting games...
Yeah, same here for the most part but there have actually been a few to hold my attention longer than this last MK
Old 01-08-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that a little time has passed and people might have played Bloodrayne some more - what do you think about it? I'm asking because ebgames has it for 29.99 on the GC and with their current coupon for a 20$ mail in gift card i'm thinking about picking it up. So..... is it worth 9.99?