Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Logitech® Cordless Controller for the Xbox. Reviews? Stores? Deals?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Logitech has revealed that their new 2.4GHz Cordless Controller for Xbox is out and on retail shelves:

Logitech® Cordless Controller for the Xbox™

Though I haven’t had a chance to check any retail stores yet, none of the popular online stores (ebgames, amazon, bestbuy, buy) have it for sale yet. Ebgames has it for pre-order with a 12/16 date.

Though I would really like to have one of these babies, I resent having to pay $70 bucks retail (twice the price of the well-respected GC Wavebird) for a wireless XBOX controller, so I’m hoping for some outstanding reviews and sale prices.

Has anybody got their hands on one of these beauties yet? Logitech builds solid stuff, but is it worth the high price tag?
Old 12-04-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it helps any, ebgames.com is one of the sites that is participating in the MSN Wallet deal, so if you order your wireless controller using the MSN Wallet before Dec. 15 you will get $14 back.

edit: I notice this one has the vibration unit in it.

Last edited by s}{ammer; 12-04-02 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, my first post in the video game forum. Everyone should run for their lives.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=227382

They have this controller listed as a pre-order, shipping on the 16th of this month.
Old 12-04-02, 12:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'd only buy this controller if I wasn't playing on XBox Live.

The problem is that the voice communicator plugin port is not on the controller, but on the receiver base. You will still be restricted by the length of the reciever base cord.

For $69.99, I want the expansion port on the controller.
Old 12-04-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good catch flay.
Old 12-04-02, 01:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just bought a Logitech cordless elite duo for my PC and inside is a 20% off coupon offer if you register your product. It is off anything on their online site and is good for 1 year after registering. However, the controller is not yet available online. But it seems as though it will be. Not sure about shipping though.
Old 12-04-02, 01:11 PM

Update: Free shipping on Logitech products until 12/31/02. So I guess this is a good deal if the sell they controller by then. After speaking with CSR she said they do not know when they will get it. That was confusing since they make the product. Very strange. I am going to check it out locally before I even pay $50 for it with the discount.

Last edited by el_jer; 12-04-02 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 07:59 AM

Good info. Any reviews?
Old 12-05-02, 04:50 PM

I'm po'd royally!! I been waiting for this controller to come out and just knew that Logitech could never make a blunder like Madcatz did with the communicator port location.

Can anyone tell me why Madcatz and now Logitech would be stupid enough to not put the communicator port on the controller?

They have just alienated themselves from the LIVE community IMHO.

That's $70 that Logitech just lost from me because of this blunder!!

Maybe MS will bring out their own version of a TRUE wireless controller with rechargable battery packs. At this point I don't care if it costs $100 as long as it is completely wireless!!!
Old 12-05-02, 04:58 PM

perhaps sending voice over the wirless connection is too prohibitive...either with bandwidth restrictions or batterly life...who knows, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it
Old 12-05-02, 05:06 PM

I'm no expert but I would think if a simple cordless phone can do it then why can't this controller?
Old 12-05-02, 06:55 PM

cordless phones have a relatively short battery life though, I know I wouldn't want to trade out batteries after only 6-8 hours of gaming.
Old 12-12-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just bought two from EBgames. This was after I found out that the controllers do indeed have the expansion slots on them, not the receiver. Of course there are some sites that still say it's on the receiver, so I'll no for sure when I receive mine. I'll let everyone know.

For me it's not a huge deal anyway considering they don't have broadband where I live.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/360/360497p1.html

This review states that the slots are on the controller.

Last edited by vaporware; 12-12-02 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Waporvare is correct - they DO have the expansion ports on the controller. I was hesitant to get one of these when I first read that they don't have it. Now I'll get one for sure.
Old 12-12-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it works with live ill pick it up in a split second :-)
Old 12-12-02, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by WOWZY
Maybe MS will bring out their own version of a TRUE wireless controller with rechargable battery packs. At this point I don't care if it costs $100 as long as it is completely wireless!!!
I'll sell you my Logitech for $100

Actually waiting to hear what the reviews are. I don't have live and even when I do get it I would be happy to switch controllers. I am more concerned with the bulkiness. Plus aas I preivously stated I may be able to save 20%.
Old 12-14-02, 01:06 PM

IGN review up...great controller!...that is, if you don't play Live with it...still no memory card slots on the contoller.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/380/380293p1.html

Last week we took a look at the Mad Catz Lynx wireless controller for Xbox. The pad was nicely designed and the RF technology worked like a charm, but the pad only earned a 7.0. The problem was that the controller didn't have any memory card slots. The two slots were set into the transceiver base, which sits next to the console. Anyone who's used Xbox Live, or even looked into it, should know that the headset, which is necessary for in-game communication, fits into an open memory card slot. It follows that you couldn't really use the Lynx with Xbox Live. Now I have Logitech's pad in front of me and it suffers from the same problem as the Lynx: no slots. However, the Logitech still deserves your attention. While you can't take full advantage of Microsoft's online service with the Logitech -- I guess the headset pulls too much power to draw from a wireless controller -- it performs extremely well and is very cleverly designed.

One of the most difficult things about designing a wireless controller is power management. Rechargeable batteries are convenient and environmentally friendly but affordable ones can't match the longevity of their alkaline counterparts. For this reason Logitech and Mad Catz both opted for alkaline. This Logitech pad houses four AA batteries. Another consideration is rumble feedback. The vibration you feel comes from rotating motors, which eat up power like nobody's business. With the WaveBird Nintendo forewent vibration in favor of longer life. The Mad Catz let the user pick from three vibration settings: on, low, and high. Logitech was so confident in their power management system that they don't let the user disable the rumble. It is always on during normal play. When the battery level gets low, however, they turn off in order to conserve and warn the user that new batteries are in order. I still find the Mad Catz approach the most sensible, and I would have a gripe with Logitech if it weren't for the fact that this controller can last about 50 hours from four new batteries. Again: 50 hours of battery life with vibration on. (Speaking with one of the nice folks at Logitech I learned that without vibration they were achieving somewhere around 100 hours without rumble.)

Unfortunately, for this review I couldn't accurately test 50 hours. I don't even know if I could track that anyway. However, I've been playing a few days with one set of batteries and it's as sharp as it was when I started. Additionally, other editors have been using it without changing the batteries. It's probably been through 30 hours of use. If the battery claims turn out to be totally inaccurate I will post an amendment to the review. (We did the same thing with the WaveBird and nobody complained, so shut the lip!) I should say that Logitech's claims are, in general, highly accurate.

Thanks to the snappy 2.4GHz communication, the Logitech pad ran as quickly as a wired controller. I detected no lag whatsoever during my testing. Further, I played mostly THPS4, a game with which any latency or dropouts are immediately noticeable. I can say with confidence that the wireless performance is fast enough for any type of gaming. As far as wireless range, I played up to about fifteen feet away in a high interference area without interruption. Logitech claims 20 feet, which I find reasonable so long as the environment is cooperative.

It was at this point in the review of the Logitech wireless PS2 pad that the wheels fell off - great wireless performance, terrible game performance. Thankfully, Logitech took their time and came up with a very, very impressive design. It's a pad that actually works as well as it looks. Further, it's probably the best-made third-party peripheral I've ever used. The construction quality and attention to detail are on par with, and excel in some cases, first party manufacturers. Every little bit of the pad is carefully designed and meticulously assembled.

In hand, the pad feels very natural. It has a healthy, somewhat heavy feel and is well balanced. The only people who might find it uncomfortable are people with very small hands. If you're a little kid or are thinking of giving it to a youngster, think twice. Most of the people in the office found it comfortable, but a few found the spacing too much. I didn't agree, but the point was well taken. Probably the hardest control to reach is the D-pad, which doesn't look too far toward the middle, but the width of the pad tricks you. You do have to reach a bit for the D-pad, but I didn't find it inconvenient.

And then there is performance?

It's not perfect, but many of its elements are. For starters, Logitech arranged what I think is the best main button area on any Xbox controller - yes, including the Controller S. The A, B, X, and Y buttons are set in a traditional diamond pattern. The black and white buttons sit below them in two asymmetrically recessed nooks. As you can see if you enlarge the image, the areas above the black and white buttons are slightly scalloped, but the areas below are flush with the pad. In this setting, the buttons fit perfectly under the inside of your thumb knuckle, which means you can access them very quickly, but it's also difficult to hit them accidentally. All six of the action buttons also feel very, very good. The offer good resistance, sit comfortably high, and are very fast. I really like the Dual Shock 2, but these are now my favorite main buttons.

The triggers are designed just as well as the main buttons. Imagine my surprise when I fired up Rally Fusion and discovered that not only is the resistance set almost perfectly, but also that the triggers actually work throughout their range. All the way out is zero and all the way in is 100%, with the middle range spaced correctly throughout the entire arc of travel. You driving fans will find this extremely convenient, as regulating gas/brake is very natural feeling.

Things get a little iffy with the D-pad, but it's still one of the most responsive and accurate among third-party controllers. It has a little too much of the one-big-button feel, but it's very fast and very solid. I favor the Controller S's D-pad, but Logitech's is damn nice. I actually found it easier to pull off diagonal moves in THPS4 with the Logitech pad than with the Controller S. Sharp stuff.

The weakest parts of the controller are the analog stick. On another third-party pad they would be more than acceptable, but on the Logitech they are the obvious weak links. The problem is that they are too loose, especially the right one. They should be a little shorter and have tenser springs. They were extremely accurate throughout the full swing, though. Logitech also used a very comfortable rubber coating. It feels good and keeps your thumbs in place.

Lastly, there is the question of value. As things are, you have two options for Xbox wireless controllers - this one and the Mad Catz. Both are expensive as hell. Until Microsoft decides to take care of it themselves, you're stuck. That said, the Logitech offers high relative value.

Conclusion

Like I said in the Mad Catz review, if you plan on playing online a lot, then this pad isn't for you. However, if you don't mind switching to a normal pad when you're online, and want to enjoy wireless the rest of the time, buy the Logitech. It performs extremely well, feels great, and is fairly (for now) priced.

Highly recommended.
Old 12-18-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe that was one of the early prototypes he used. Logitechs own website now states the slots are on the controller whereas before it didn't.

This may also explain why the product has been pushed back a month. [edited to add] well it did yesterday, now the old page is back.

I may cancel my order and wait for it to actually be on the market a little while before i order.

Last edited by vaporware; 12-18-02 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I was in BB the other day and asked about it. They said they had a shelf full of them, and they sold like crazy. He also said they were $59. Still expensive, but $10 cheaper than previously mentioned. Plus you can use one of those $5 off coupons.
Old 12-20-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check the hot deals forum for a logitech giveaway. Just enter once, you'll lose, and then you'll get a coupon for a 20% rebate on any wireless product (including this controller) by mail. Makes it much more affordable.

Oh, and by the way, if you keep trying you may win the wireless mouse/keyboard.
Old 12-20-02, 02:45 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jiggyblau
Check the hot deals forum for a logitech giveaway. Just enter once, you'll lose, and then you'll get a coupon for a 20% rebate on any wireless product (including this controller) by mail. Makes it much more affordable.

Oh, and by the way, if you keep trying you may win the wireless mouse/keyboard.
Thanks for the heads up. I won.
Old 12-20-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won also!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 12-30-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I GOT IT!

Up! I just bought one, I haven't used it yet but here are my preliminary thoughts:

The bad:
SLOTS ARE NOT ON THE CONTROLLER!!! they are on the receiver.
The analog buttons are VERY tight. i.e. the thumbsticks that you can press down as buttons.
The analog sticks seemed "loose" to a friend who I let check it out. Not sure since I haven't used it yet.
it takes 4 batteries
Nowhere does it mention multiple frequencies for 4 player. Although in the directions for hooking it up(plug in receiver and turn it on), it says repeat steps for each controller to be installed.(maybe each controller has it's on unique i.d.?)

the good:
Very smooth design. Comfy. The size is somewhere in between the original and the S controllers.
Start and Select are in the middle of the controller where they should be.
Analog sticks are of PS2 rubber design.
Round buttons ala the S controller
Black and White buttons are closer to the rest of the buttons.
It comes with 4 duracell batteries.
IT'S WIRELESS

I found it at CompUSA for $59, and with the 20% coupon found in Hot Deals drops the final cost to around $50. Considering I paid $40 for the S when it came out, $50 ain't bad.
Old 01-02-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how much is the madcatz lynx controller sale for? and how does the lynx compare to the logitech one?
Old 01-09-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This controller is now available to order from logitech.com. It is NOT in stock. It's $69.95, but don't forget about those 20% rebate coupons from "losing" the giveaway last month. That offer expires 1/31.

Just so you all know, this is also now listed at Amazon, but not available from Amazon yet.

Same thing with GameStop.com even though it says it's in stock (says it's coming out 1/13):
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801501

From Logitech:
Good news! You registered to stay updated about the availability of our new Logitech® Cordless Controller for Xbox™. It is now available for purchase. Please go to http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...id=1&ad=notify to order your Logitech® Cordless Controller for Xbox™ now!

Last edited by jiggyblau; 01-09-03 at 02:21 PM.