Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question for GBA owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for GBA owners

So I picked a GBA up last week and obviously the problem with the screen being too dark at times has come up, so I have some questions about what to do about it.

1a. Triton Labs/Afterburner: My dad works in the electronics field and can put it together within an hours time. But is it worth the $40 and the risk of it not coming out perfect? I've read about how dust and fingerprints in the process of putting it back together can ruin it... also something about if the glass isn't placed just right, you get some kind of rainbow effect going through the screen. But if you believe what you read in gaming magazines, this seems to be the way to go.

1b. An Official Back Lit GBA If a back lit GBA came out officially from Nintendo next year, would it look just like an Afterburner modified GBA or would it be better? Would an Afterburner modified GBA then be worthless, especially if there was some kind of trade-in deal at say EB?

2. Light adaptor: But which one? One of my friend's swears by this one that GameStop makes. He said it's a combo light/screen protector, but I don't know which one he's talking about because the SEARCH tool on that site doesn't really come up with anything like it, except this Flood Light that comes out this week (so that couldn't possible be what he's talking about) and the pre-orders are sold out. It's expensive anyway.

3. Maybe I should just deal with it. I mean I've played it with the sun shining on it and under lamps and it looks fine, but forget about it if I'm in a semi-dark area.
Old 12-02-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah yes. I am still waiting for my afterburner kit to be installed, but I think it will be well worth it. However, there are two very good options. One is the flood light. It is bulky but works okay.

Now.......the best option is to pre-order this.... http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=231779

Should be great. And will probably replace the afterburner quickly. You do have to take your GBA screen off, but that is all, and they give you the "tool" to do that easily.
Old 12-02-02, 03:30 PM

I don't recommend that halo light, it looks really, uh, non-aesthetic.

the afterburner kit roxorz but if you want it perfect you gotta pay, yourhappyplace.com can do it for 61 dollars I think. Worth mentioning is that some people claim more dust gets inside the gba with the kit installed (if there is a dimmer hole), and that dust that gets in, or is already there, stands out way more than usual.

As for the flood light, I like it but I dont, it's probably the best snap on light, but its pretty bulky and only comes in black. I also love the slogan all over the package " Simply the best light ever made!".

Whatever you do, it's your choice, but I think im gonna just live with a dark screen.
Old 12-02-02, 03:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Have there been any reviews of the Halo light? Looks like a less-risky (and reverseable) alternative to the Afterburner.

As for the non-aesthetic quality, bleh. You've already established yourself as a dork by carrying around a Gameboy. The addition of a Halo light isn't going to make you less cool by a noticable degree.

Last edited by Groucho; 12-02-02 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-02-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tend to go with Option 3, when I play I have a few places that I'll sit that have adequate light (yes the bathroom has adequate light ). Airpline lights are great and anywhere you can sit with a light at your back. I also win because the kitchen light is perfect for playing on the couch in the family room.

When a backlit one comes out I'll get it pending battery consumption. I'd rather sit with a light at my back than have the batteries go after a few hours. I get at least 10 hours of play out of 2 batteries, at that level it's not worth hassling with an adapter or rechargeables.
Old 12-02-02, 05:44 PM

I installed an Afterburner in my GBA. It's true that dust can get in the case and stick to the screen. I think it gets in through the speaker grating or possibly even the button holes. It's definitely something you should consider before going with an Afterburner. Personally the little bit of dust I have in mine doesn't bother me, and the screen looks just fantastic all lit up. Also, it seems to me that if you have to remove the plastic screen to install the Halo Light theres a chance of getting dust in your GBA.
Old 12-02-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the after burner and it does have dust, but it doesn't bother me to much. If an official Nintendo version comes out with a built in light I would consider switching.
Old 12-02-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question about the dust problem:

What if you have a GBA carrying case and put your GBA away after every use or does dust get in no matter what?
Old 12-02-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the "Light Sheild w/auto sensing" from Pelican. It uses a triple AAA battery (included) and it's only about $10.
Old 12-02-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CreatureX
I use the "Light Sheild w/auto sensing" from Pelican. It uses a triple AAA battery (included) and it's only about $10.
It turns out that this is the one that my friend suggested getting!

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801535
Old 12-02-02, 09:53 PM

I had that one and did not like it. I might try the halo or an afterburner kit
Old 12-03-02, 08:39 AM

I have the floodlight, but that thing is huge and heavy and makes your gba twice as big. I'm seriously considering that halo light, looks interesting.
Old 12-09-02, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by MrSneis
Worth mentioning is that some people claim more dust gets inside the gba with the kit installed (if there is a dimmer hole), and that dust that gets in, or is already there, stands out way more than usual.
Just had one of the Afterburner Lights added to my GBA. I also had an optional chip installed that controls the brightness by using the select and a/b buttons (no holes for a dimmer).
Old 12-09-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CreatureX
This is the best of the snap on lights IMO, but durability is an issue as I have been through 2 of them. I use the Floodlight as a back-up until I get around to buying another Pelican

That Halo light looks pretty good. I'll wait for some reviews on it.
Old 12-09-02, 08:40 AM

My girlfriend is getting me the afterburner installed for me for Xmas, and it's supposed to be back here any day.

As far as dust getting in it, I know she got it installed through www.yourhappyplace.com, , and they offer a 3 month guarantee on it, so there's no chance it will get ruined if you have them install it.

Also, they seem like a very customer service friendly place, and I'm sure that if dust buildup ever became serious to the point where it hurt gameplay, then they would be willing to help you clean it out, probbaly for no charge.
Old 12-09-02, 02:44 PM
Banned

http://www.epinions.com/InterAct_Glo...es_GBA_P24711S

I've had mine since I've had my GBA and I love it!

I think it runs the battery down quicker--but, it's worth it for well-lit gaming.
Old 12-12-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the worm lights are pretty much crap? That's kinda what I gather from all I've heard.

I'm thinking of getting a GBA but mainly for Animal Crossing and other GC linkable games. Sure I'll take it with me when I travel but I don't travel very much. I'll mainly play at home or places where there should be good lighting.

I bought a Platinum GC a few weeks ago and want the Plantinum GBA to go with it and was thinking of getting the silver worm light. It might not be what I use forever but nothing else would match and I'm kinda weird like that.

Would a 4.99 worm light work till I found something better?
Old 12-12-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
WHOOOHOOOO! Just got my GBA afterburner back from portablemonopoly.net (took about 3 months ) and it is awesome. I have the dial for the light and it is fine. There is no dust. The only spot I see a problem is on the new screen touching the old and there looks like an oil slick (I don't know if that makes sense). You can't tell when you are playing.

This was totally worth it!!!
Old 12-12-02, 10:32 PM

I work for Gamestop so I've tried all the lights that are currently out. My conclusion is that the best light you can get is the GlowGuard from Interact Accessories.

http://www.interactaccessories.com

The price is only $4.99, it does not require batteries since it uses the port on the gameboy and the battery consumption isn't too bad. It also gives enough light for it to be playable in a dark room.

The Halo light appears like it could be good as well, but the $40 dollar price tag is rather steep. I hope this helps.
Old 12-17-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The date for the Halo light is now 1-3-03
Old 12-17-02, 09:12 AM

I'd like to throw in my vote for this light also - I love it, and find it to be useful in any lighting condition. I've had mine for over a year and it hasn't given me any kind of problem whatsoever - couple it with rechargeable AAA batteries (it only needs one, but having a pair insures neverending light) and you're good to go.

As for the Afterburner, I was very close to sending mine out for the upgrade, but after hearing more problems and issues than raves, I decided against it.