Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zig
The developers call it an exploration game. Shigeru Miyamoto called it a FPA in one or two interviews. I'd hardly call that marketing non-sense. Regardless, FPA is a more accurate label. Or maybe FPE. Every impression of the game has said the same. I've played the demo, I'd (obviously) say the same.
This is what cracks me up about the whole argument. When it comes to dvds everyone whines about wanting the OAR and the Directors Cut so you can have the original directors vision of the thing being created.... but if someone tries to point out here what the creators are saying about their creation then it has to be a marketing scheme of course.

Perhaps the FPS genre has become so splintered because of so many different takes on it that now we need more specific sub-genres. Kind of like Trip-Hop, Emo, Hardcore and Punk music aren't all classified as Rock n Roll except by people who have no clue about them and can't understand that classifying something by one huge category gives you no information. It's like saying oh "It's a video game. All video games should have ______" No matter how many times you point out all the different types of video games there are there will be people who say "Is there video involved? Check. Is it a game? Check." and then somehow think that supports their position.
Old 11-14-02, 08:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
I'm a bit above the age where I can call all my friends over for a multiplayer party.
Me too.

(My WIFE's friends, however...)
Old 11-14-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Me too.

(My WIFE's friends, however...)

I keep trying to get my girlfriend's friends over for some multiplayer action but it's just not happening. I even offered to buy them all new controllers.....

Last edited by Icculus; 11-14-02 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Icculus

I keep trying to get my girlfriend's friends over for some multiplayer action but it's just not happeneing. I even offered to buy them all new controllers.....

They never seem to bite on the "Strip Halo" suggestion..........
Old 11-14-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-14-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well, I'm only 21 and me and my friends play plenty of Halo 4-player, but I still don't care that this isn't multiplayer. I think our next hangout game will be Unreal Tournament, especially since I have XBLive.
Old 11-15-02, 07:37 PM
zig

Gamespot put up their review.. It got a 9.7!

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...897768,00.html

Here's a little excerpt:

It's not a first-person shooter.

Ok.. here's a little more.

Let's get right to the point: Metroid Prime is the best GameCube game to date. It's one of the best games on any platform this year, and, for good measure, it's also the best game yet in Nintendo's highly acclaimed Metroid series. Many were rightfully skeptical about whether an unknown Texas-based developer could take the classic open-ended, side-scrolling action adventure gameplay formula of the Metroid series and successfully translate it into 3D. And these are the people who will no doubt come away most impressed of all with Metroid Prime, which is in every respect a pure and true successor to the series of games that inspired it. At the same time, those who have never played a Metroid game before are likely to be just as taken with Metroid Prime. This first-person action adventure game is filled with so much detail, style, and originality that literally every gamer should play it.

Metroid Prime doesn't play like any other game that's come before it, and it emphasizes exploration and investigation at least as much as pure action. So the pacing is deliberate at times, though the going is never slow.
Old 11-16-02, 04:38 PM

you missed the best line in that review

...and finally, someone, somewhere will complain that Metroid Prime has no multiplayer features. But we'll leave that for someone, somewhere to complain about, since it's hardly relevant.
Old 11-16-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And this part too is pretty pertinent to this thread :

Ironically, the criticisms that can be leveled against Metroid Prime are associated with certain conventions that are integral to the Metroid series and must have been deliberately put into this game to keep things faithful. For instance, the notion of having to backtrack through previously explored areas has grown unpopular with gamers over the years, and yet backtracking is certainly required in Metroid Prime. But this is a good kind of backtracking--you'll reenter the same areas from different directions and equipped with vastly different abilities, and you'll enjoy blasting to smithereens those same enemies that caused you a lot more trouble your first time through. That's another thing, actually: Just like in past Metroid games, enemies in Metroid Prime respawn soon after you leave an area. It's not necessarily realistic that your foes will keep reappearing, but it does keep things lively. Additionally, all the jumping, even though it's done so well, will be a sticking point for some, mostly for those who approach Metroid Prime as a shooter and not as an action adventure. These players should at least appreciate that Samus never sustains damage from falling (another Metroid convention) and that there are no do-or-die jumps in the game. If you fall, you can try again. The lack of any real narrative might also disappoint some players, and finally, someone, somewhere will complain that Metroid Prime has no multiplayer features. But we'll leave that for someone, somewhere to complain about, since it's hardly relevant.
Old 11-19-02, 05:33 PM
En vacance

I got Metroid Prime and Fusion being the biggest Metroid guy around here, i can tell you that Metroid Prime is simply an adventurer in the 1st person perspective. Far from being a 1st person shooter.
Old 11-19-02, 05:44 PM
zig

Well, I finally got Metroid Prime.

What they say is true.. It is metroid in 3d. If you classify the first 3 metroid games as shooters, then Metroid Prime is a FPS. If you classify them as adventure games, then it's a FPA.. so on and so on.

I love this game.
Old 11-19-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FPS without a doubt. It's from a first-person perspective, and you shoot things.
Old 11-19-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul
FPS without a doubt. It's from a first-person perspective, and you shoot things.
Why did you even bother? Seriously.
Old 11-19-02, 08:52 PM
Retired

Just played this for the past 2 hours, and I'm blown away so far. All my reservations about Metroid in 3D are gone.

It 100% feels like a metroid game.

It doesn't feel like an FPS at all, thanks to the ease of shooting with the lock on button and the emphasis on exploration. Only 2 hours in and I got my missle launcher and morph ball back and was already scratching my head trying to remember where I'd seen places that I need them.

The graphics and sound are top notch as well. Probably my only minor gripe is the map is some what difficult to read, but it's nothing to lose any sleep over.

If the game continues to get better, it will supercede Super Metroid as my all-time favorite game.
Old 11-19-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wacthed some kid play this game at Best Buy for about 15 minutes. All I have to say is WOW! I ordered my copy via the internet so I gotta wait a few more days. Bleah.
Old 01-10-03, 03:26 PM
Retired

Finally beat the game. 18:26 play time and 67% complete. I'll play some more to get above 75% and see the second ending. I doubt I'll ever get 100% and the best ending. It's just to tedious to try to scan and find everything.

Definitely one of the best games ever. Great atmosphere. Exploring the world was a blast. It totally felt like a metroid game, probably even more so than Metroid Fusion and it's extremely linear nature. The play control was spot on, especially for a first person game. I've never been able to get used to playing with both sticks, so I greatly prefered prime's simplified controls. The graphics and sound were top notch as well.

My only gripes are the following:

1. I don't see why it needed to be in first person. The jumping was ok for an FP game, but it would have been much easier in third person. The devlopers said aiming was a problem in third person as the character would be in the way. However, with the lock on system it's really not an issue. Plus they could have implemented first person for aiming by simply switching to it when you hit the R button, just like it now switches to third person when you use the morph ball.

But still it was by far the best first person game I've ever played, but the use of that perspective did lessen my enjoyment a little as I've always hated it.

2. Bugs. The game locked up on me 3 times. Luckily all but one was right after saving, and the 3rd time I hadn't done anything too challenging since saving. Their are also some glitches with the door openings. A lot of times I'd shoot them and they would change colors but not open for several seconds, rather than just opening instantly when you walk up to them after shooting them with the appropriate weapon.

Those are fairly minor gripes, but they did force me to lower my score a little.

I'd give it a 9.2 overall.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-10-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
There are also some glitches with the door openings. A lot of times I'd shoot them and they would change colors but not open for several seconds, rather than just opening instantly when you walk up to them after shooting them with the appropriate weapon.
I wouldn't really say that the slow door openings was a glitch. The game just gets behind with loading the next room sometimes. Considering how infrequently it happens, I'm OK with it. It's the only time I notice loading in the game.
Old 01-10-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here I thought that was a proximity thing... I thought if I shot the door while too close to open it, it wouldn't open. Because when I moved away it opened... and here it turns out to be load times.
Old 01-10-03, 08:02 PM
Retired

Ah, that makes sense. I never thought of that. Bugged the hell out of me sometimes. Especially if it was the door to a save room when I was about dead and had something shooting at me.
Old 01-10-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't feel bad, it took me a while to figure it out, too. The only reason I knew for sure was when I turned the volume down, I could hear the gamecube spinning and searching like crazy. That thing makes a lot of noise sometimes.