Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cooperative mode in Halo was hack job storywise - there is only meant to be 1 master chief, and none of the cutscenes showed the 2 of you. But most people would tell you how much more fun the coop was than the 1player.

Metroid would be the same.

Chris
Old 11-12-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chris_D
The cooperative mode in Halo was hack job storywise - there is only meant to be 1 master chief, and none of the cutscenes showed the 2 of you. But most people would tell you how much more fun the coop was than the 1player.

Metroid would be the same.

Chris
No it wouldn't. Metroid is not a FPS. The gameplay in entirally different. Is it that hard for someone to grasp?
Old 11-12-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't anyone agree that it's a FPS? Is a FPS that bad? MP has a first person view and you can shoot, so guess what? IT'S A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!! Zelda had a third person view so you know what, it's NOT a First Person shooter. Wow, this is getting easy.

Hell if you want to start the argument that MP isn't a shooting/adventures/puzzles kind of game you better put on your boxing gloves because I'm going to ball ya! MP does take it to another level with solving puzzles and adventure elements. But it's still a FPS!

The other topic of multi-players....
Co-op mode would have been fun! It would have been awesome teaming up with another bounty hunter! But I'm not going to complain. It's Metroid, not expected. Same with SMS… multi player? Yea it's called mario party! Buy that game!

Well I can't wait for this FPS/Adventure/problem solving game called Metroid Prime!

Oh yea Limp Bizkit isn't rock?
Old 11-12-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by gross@iastate
Just my opinion but points should be deducted for not having multiplayer or co-op. It just adds so much to a game and prolongs the replay value. For me a FPS must have multiplayer capability to warrant a purchase.

And Dolby Pro Logic II does not impress me. Give me Dolby Digital or DTS then I will give you a 10 on sound.

Once again let me remind you that this is my opinion, so don't flame me.
Points should also be deducted because there's no driving sequences. This game should have everything in it so you don't have to buy any other game. Does anyone know if there is a skiing sequence? If not they should lower the review score.

Let's be honest now. You don't own a Gamecube do you? Jealous.

Last edited by parrotheads4; 11-12-02 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hanson
Yes, but baseball or football games adhere to the same mechanics. A season in Madden is the same as a season in NFL2k3.

The hole in your argument is that you assume MP is an FPS just like TP2 or GE. While MP is primarily in first person perspective, it is not like the other games. It is slower paced and more contemplative. The engine is not built for breakneck speed and the ability to turn on a dime and shoot. There's auto-aiming for a reason.

Try SWAT3 or any of the Tom Clancy games. They're probably even more slow paced than Metroid and feature very slow turning rates, yet they're great online games. Who says deathmatch or multiplay has to be high-speed? If you can see first person and you can shoot, that's all you need. Heck, you really only need to be able to attack.

Retro could have made new big deathmatch rooms, but they would have seemed half-assed and unconnected to the heart of the game. Unless the deathmatch is compelling, why have it? I don't really see the replay value in a poorly implemeneted mutli-player mode bolted on artificially to a stellar single-player experience.

Why does it have to be half-assed? I fully acknowledged that developers will have to spend more time implementing multiplay (in whatever form) and getting it right. Hence, the bit about lack of time and resources. But I was questioning why huge companies like Nintendo can't put the necessary resources towards ensuring a good multiplayer element. If someone else can do it, why can't they? And complaints about it being disconnected to the "heart of the game" are meaningless when the result is still fun. A huge part of Half Life's single player appeal was lost in the move to multiplayer deathmatch, but they replaced it with the unconnected yet massively fun team fortress death match modes and what not.

Let me ask you this: let's say MP had deathmatch. And let's say it was nothing to sing home about. Would you get it then just because it had multi-player even though it paled to other multi-player FPS? At what cost "replay value"?
Well no, but (and I really don't mean to offend here) your analogy doesn't at all apply to what I'm saying. I never said MP/replay value should be the only or even main reason for buying a game. Nor that it should come at the expense of single player. I'm just trying say that it has become one of the typical and important factors that many buyers may mentally check off when deciding on a game. Just like graphics aren't the only reason you'd buy a game, but good graphics will influence your buying, right? Same principle.

So try it this way: Someone releases Super Bang Bang Cheesebomber, an adventure/FPS/puzzle game at the same time as Metroid. It gets fantastic reviews similar to Metroid. However, in addition, it also has a co-op mode that they are comparing to Halo's co-op. Will that influence my choice between the two? Heck yeah!

Last edited by ipkevin; 11-12-02 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People are forgetting this is NOT A FPS,play Super Metroid on the Snes and then play Prime and you will have the same game except its in first person,Metroid is NOT A FRAG FEST,CAPTURE the flag bull$hit,its a adventure game set in space.

Now I bought a GC and its still in the box from last month,on the 18th is when it gets its first workout,cant wait this will be game of the year mark my words.
Old 11-12-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Metroid is not a FPS. The gameplay in entirally different. Is it that hard for someone to grasp?
Yes it's impossible for me to grasp .

Chris
Old 11-12-02, 07:00 PM
zig

Originally posted by White Knight

Oh yea Limp Bizkit isn't rock?
Heh.. ok.. now I get it.

Yes, if you ABSOLUTELY HAD TO shove Metroid Prime into a genre that already exists, you would probably put it in the FPS genre. I personally think it has more in common with the Adventure genre, but I guess that's the minority opinion.

It's a FPS:

First Person
You shoot things

It's an Adventure:

The player is in control of a character in real time, who interacts with the environment and opponents directly.

Gameplay combines elements of Adventure games (principally puzzles) and CRPGs (principally dungeons), with combat or puzzle solving being the principal game activities.

This is a good site that defines the genres rather well. Note that FPS is not a genre, but First Person is a perspective, and Shooter is a genre. Shooters in First Person are just more common than other shooters. First Person does not always equal Shooter.

http://www.ihobo.com/forum/articles/genres.html
Old 11-12-02, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by DVDHO
People are forgetting this is NOT A FPS,play Super Metroid on the Snes and then play Prime and you will have the same game except its in first person,Metroid is NOT A FRAG FEST,CAPTURE the flag bull$hit,its a adventure game set in space.

Now I bought a GC and its still in the box from last month,on the 18th is when it gets its first workout,cant wait this will be game of the year mark my words.
I love it! Hmmm I recall shooting a ton of aliens in Super Metroid. Mater of fact, I recall shooting/freezing them...Hell I remember dropping bombs on them....that's beside the point. Super Metroid wasn't a first person shooter. Which was because? Yes, it was a side-scrolling game. Not a first person. Good point tiger!

MP is first person and guess what .....you shoot. So what a novel idea, lets call it a FPS! Excellent. You do shoot right?

Lets change it up!!! Lets call MP a

FPSA, First Person Shooting Adventure!

Alright! Lets wrap this one up!
Old 11-12-02, 07:16 PM
zig

Sorry, my ultra-nerdiness cannot accept that. I demand that we re-define the genre of First Person Shooter

Let's see.. some examples.. Quake series, Max Payne, Serious Sam.. uh.. there's a ton.

Point is, the primary objective in those games is to shoot all the bad guys. The only reason you're going from point A to point B is so you can shoot more bad guys.

Now.. some games with a first-person perspective where shooting bad guys is not the primary objective.. Deus Ex, Half-Life, Metroid Prime.. not as many.. but they're out there. To me, those games are not First Person Shooters. First Person RPG, First Person Action Adventure, First Person Adventure.. whatever.

Of course, for the less nerdy, they're all FPSes.
Old 11-12-02, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by zig
Sorry, my ultra-nerdiness cannot accept that.

Insightful
Old 11-12-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wtf are u guys talkin bout
Old 11-12-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Retro spent all their time perfecting the game. I doubt Nintendo wanting them wasting time on a multiplayer option. I'm just happy they got the game so close to perfect. If I really have the need for a multiplayer frag fest I will play one of the other FPS titles that has it.

Its such a minor issue I can't believe the discusion has gone on this long.

It doesn't have a multiplayer option, its still one of the best games of the year end of story. Maybe, Retro can do a new version next year with multiplayer now that they have the game engine perfected. Maybe a Metroid side story or something. If you must have Samus in a multiplayer game there is always Smash Bros Melee.

Last edited by darkside; 11-12-02 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 08:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm thrilled this game is getting such high marks, I can't wait to play it!

Something that kinda bugs me is people criticized Halo for not having bots. Now here's a game that doesn't even have multiplayer and the same people who had something negative to say about Halo/lack of bots are apologists for this game's lack of multiplayer.
Old 11-12-02, 08:55 PM

MP is an RPG. You guys don't know anything.

Co-op wouldn't work in this game. If you noticed, PD and Halo are very fast paced action games which is total opposite of this game. Good luck on making a fun co-op game out of MP.

Multiplayer DM? Good luck. With MP's control schemes, all you'll be doing is holding L to target lock on other players. Wow, that is so challenging.

You guys need to play MP before assuming all of these gameplay modes would make it a better game.
Old 11-12-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something that kinda bugs me is people criticized Halo for not having bots. Now here's a game that doesn't even have multiplayer and the same people who had something negative to say about Halo/lack of bots are apologists for this game's lack of multiplayer.
Great first-person shooters have to have great multiplayer. It's what they're known for. Halo is an FPS, MP isn't. End of story.
Old 11-12-02, 09:14 PM

blah, blah, blah

You're right MP isn't a FPS it's a

FPSA

Old 11-12-02, 09:42 PM

Personally I see this game getting game of the year over VC because it's original, or at least more so then vice city. It will be interesting to see who wins out. (This is assuming its as good as it is said to be.)

Thing is, some reviews claim this game surpasses Super Metroid, doesn't that make this the greatist game of all time? (Considering EGM's top games of all time of which Super Metroid is number 1.)

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 11-12-02 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 09:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I prefer games with FMV of strippers. IGN should have known my personal preference and docked the game for not including such!
Old 11-12-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I prefer games with FMV of strippers. IGN should have known my personal preference and docked the game for not including such!
I think we can all agree that ANY GAME could be greatly improved if they just added FMV of strippers.

Sponge Bob, Scooby Doo...boooorrriiinnngg.
Until you add the FMV strippers that is!!!
Old 11-12-02, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Zodo
I think we can all agree that ANY GAME could be greatly improved if they just added FMV of strippers.

Sponge Bob, Scooby Doo...boooorrriiinnngg.
Until you add the FMV strippers that is!!!
lol! Well...in the original Metroid, if you get to a certain point fast enough, Samus "takes off her suit" *wink wink*. How's that?
Old 11-13-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by zig
Sorry, my ultra-nerdiness cannot accept that. I demand that we re-define the genre of First Person Shooter

Let's see.. some examples.. Quake series, Max Payne, Serious Sam.. uh.. there's a ton.

Point is, the primary objective in those games is to shoot all the bad guys. The only reason you're going from point A to point B is so you can shoot more bad guys.

Now.. some games with a first-person perspective where shooting bad guys is not the primary objective.. Deus Ex, Half-Life, Metroid Prime.. not as many.. but they're out there. To me, those games are not First Person Shooters. First Person RPG, First Person Action Adventure, First Person Adventure.. whatever.

Of course, for the less nerdy, they're all FPSes.
Why get so bent out of shape if someone says MP is a FPS? First Person Adventures are games like Myst... Metroid Prime is nothing like Myst. You shoot things from a first person perspective. Reacting to your environment and solving puzzles is something that most FPS games have. Deus Ex, Half-Life, No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, Unreal, Clive Barker's Undying, System Shock 2, Aliens vs. Predator 1 & 2, Medal of Honor, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, all the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces games, and plenty of other games all have elements of Adventure, RPG or whatever in them and most of them are very story driven. Games like Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena and so-on aren't so much story-driven, but are mainly for running and killing... that's why multiplayer is important. Most FPS games are listed under Action, but that doesn't make them any less of a FPS. Max Payne by the way isn't in first person perspective.

Basically, my favorite type of game is First Person Shooter because it's immersive and fun and rather than controlling some character I'm looking at, I get to see it from the character's eyes. I've played Metroid Prime on a few occasions and it's a FPS - no doubt in my mind. Just because it has Adventure elements in it or whatever is irrelevant... it doesn't change the fact that you're in first person perspective and you shoot things. There is alot of shooting things in this game just so you know.

I can't figure out why so many people are resistant to that label - I'm thinking it's either because they haven't played enough FPS games to really have any idea what it's all about or they're in denial because they finally turned out another Metroid game and it's a FPS. "FPS" is just describing the way you play the game anyway - it's not like a racial slur or anything.
Old 11-13-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
actually there was another bounty hunter that had a similar blue suit like Samus's. I forgot his name. He was introduced in the comic series in Nintendo Power.
Old 11-13-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deus Ex isn't an FPS. Sure, there's a hell of a lot of shooting in the game but there's so much more to it. IGN classifies it as a First-Person RPG and I tend to agree with that.
Old 11-13-02, 10:38 AM

Why get so bent out of shape if someone says MP is a FPS? First Person Adventures are games like Myst... Metroid Prime is nothing like Myst. You shoot things from a first person perspective. Reacting to your environment and solving puzzles is something that most FPS games have.
Again....so that means Tomb Raider is a 3rd-person shooter and not an adventure game? Because, ya know, you shoot things from a third person perspective, react to your environment, and solve puzzles. I guess all this time everybody was wrong when they thought of Tomb Raider of an adventure game. It was a shooter all along!

And again, does this mean Super Metroid was a shooter and not an adventure game like everybody saw it as?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.